Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toolbelt - Yes or No?

I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

It all depends on how much and what you carry. I used a tool belt (pouch
that hangs on a belt) for many years at work. I also had to climb lots of
ladders and on other things to get to what I needed to work on much of the
time, so I needed both hands free. In the pouch were several screwdrivers,
3 nutdrivers, about 3 or 4 open end wrenches, wire strippers,needle nose
pliers, adjustiable wrench, and channel locks. Also some electrical and
teflon tape.

I could be working on 1/4 and 3/8 inch tubing or many kinds of electrical
stuff. I hade a Fluke tester that was long and thin that I often stuck in
my back pocket.
If I needed a real multimeter, I had one in a case that I carried in my
hand.

I also used a bag to keep the larger tools and and other items in such as
spray cans of penetrating oil.

Had it not been for all the climbing I think I would have just stayed with a
bag and sholder strap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:35:02 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

I wore a tool belt, but it was a small one. Multi bit screwdriver,
channelocks, lineman's pliers and wire stripers. It was light enough
where it did not bother me.

Trying to fill a pouch with everything you think you might need would
make it too heavy to wear. Keep a tool bag or mud bucket for hacksaw,
hammer and a tester.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

I wore a tool belt, but it was a small one. Multi bit screwdriver,
channelocks, lineman's pliers and wire stripers. It was light enough
where it did not bother me.

Trying to fill a pouch with everything you think you might need would
make it too heavy to wear. Keep a tool bag or mud bucket for hacksaw,
hammer and a tester.

And an apron for small nuts and bolts and wirenuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2013 4:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I bought a tool belt once, but it wouldn't fit around my waist. They need
to make tool belts up to & including 4x.

Isn't gluttony a sin?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

Depends on the job. Rarely used these days, but having a place to put
a hammer when you are on a 25' ladder sure is handy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote:
I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

Depends on the job.

When working on a ladder, a tool belt makes a lot of sense. When working on
a car, not so much.

If I'm doing a job that requires same tools be used over and over again,
and the work site is kind of spread out, I'll sometimes wear my tool belt.
I also have a cloth apron with 2 big pockets for screws. It beats carrying
a box around.

I recently came into possession of a cloth tool bag which I kind of like.
It's great for those small jobs where I only need a few tools and it's
easier to find stuff in it than in my small metal toolboxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I work on roof equipment, I carry a strap on waist bag of tools.
Including VOM, wrenches, bottle of water, etc.

On mall jobs, I use a fold out box that's about the size of a milk
crate, and has two wheels and fold out handle. Was about $20 at Staples,
and worth every penny.

Try a cheapie from HF, and see if it works for you. Your tasks may be
totally suited to a tool belt.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/7/2013 3:35 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone spoofing me. I'm a 5xl, not a 4xl.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/7/2013 4:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I bought a tool belt once, but it

wouldn't fit around my waist. They need
to make tool belts up to & including 4x.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, and also spoofing on Usenet.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/7/2013 5:40 PM, God wrote:
On 8/7/2013 4:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I bought a tool belt once, but it wouldn't fit around my waist. They
need
to make tool belts up to & including 4x.

Isn't gluttony a sin?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/13 2:35 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

I use one due to the distances I have to walk to do repairs. It's
also handy because it's too easy to forget something. A little plastic
food container fits into one of the pouches. That's a good place to
store the screws, wire nuts etc.
I also have one of these CLC tool backpacks. It has more storage
space. Link he http://tinyurl.com/lpn9kcq I'm not sure which
one I have anymore. It's about 30 feet from my lazy chair and way too
far away to check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2013 8:02 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I have one like the 1526 I've had for 20 years and it's still going
strong. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

Just make a belt out of 3/8" steel avation cable. Secure the cable with
two cable clamps on each end. Put this belt on the wsame way you use a
regular leather belt. Then attach two heavy duty cable hooks to your
toolbox, and hang your 150LB toolbox on your steel cable belt. Now you
have all your tools really handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

Depends on the job. Rarely used these days, but having a place to put
a hammer when you are on a 25' ladder sure is handy.

Most guys just hold the hammer in their teeth!!!
(A great excuse not to have to reply to your bitchy wife when she is
bitching about the dust you made while sawing a hole in the ceiling).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:35:02 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small

tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a

toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out

on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I

perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me

like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,

new parts, etc.

For some unknown reason
they make the tool belt pouch
too low on the tool belts
and sometimes the tools spill out
when you bend down.
It’s almost impossible
to find a tool belt
that has a high hanging pouch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 20:02:34 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

[...]

This is the kind of thing I've been using... has a pull out drawer
along the bottom for small hardware items.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/tooltoter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2013 2:35 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

Obviously you need a set of carpenters overalls. They have
all kinds of pockets where you can carry stuff. Of course
by the time you get them filled they weigh about 100 pounds
and make a really great sauna.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 18:36:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Depends on the job. Rarely used these days, but having a place to put
a hammer when you are on a 25' ladder sure is handy.

I have a canvas tool pouch I use sometimes, but rarely.

If I go up a ladder, I put all the tools needed in a bucket and use a
painters pail hook to hang the bucket on the ladder.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/048661/048661344118.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're acting like an idiot! Quit spoofing me.

Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Everybody sing!!

"Do your tools hang low, do they wobble to and fro...."

(Revolutionary war marching song, back in the musket and
flintlock days, entitled "do your [musket] balls hang
low.)

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 8/8/2013 2:10 AM, wrote:

toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out

on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I

perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me

like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,

new parts, etc.

For some unknown reason
they make the tool belt pouch
too low on the tool belts
and sometimes the tools spill out
when you bend down.
It’s almost impossible
to find a tool belt
that has a high hanging pouch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 16:17:34 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You're acting like an idiot! Quit spoofing me.

YOU are the idiot. Quit changing your nym, I'm tired of having to
killfile you again and again....
Nothing you post is worth anyone's time to read. You only post on this
group to annoy people with top posting and to try to get converts to
your religious cult.
Take a hint: NO ONE IS INTERESTED!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been Stormin Mormon consistently for about the last ten or so
years, and I've had my name in the signature block of every post. Not
very nym shifter of me, you think?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

You're acting like an idiot! Quit spoofing me.

YOU are the idiot. Quit changing your nym, I'm tired of having to
killfile you again and again....
Nothing you post is worth anyone's time to read. You only post on this
group to annoy people with top posting and to try to get converts to
your religious cult.
Take a hint: NO ONE IS INTERESTED!

Posted to alt.home.repair

For jobs around the house, I put tools in a bag.

But I just spent a weekend helping repair church properties, and the bag did not work out at all. The guys who brought tool belts were far more efficient.

It depends on the kind of work you're doing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd like to hear more about this church work,
that is compatible with tool belts. Electrical,
plumbing, or what? More detail, please.

Thank you.

..
Christopher A. Young