Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Toolbelt - Yes or No?

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small
tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a
toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out
on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I
perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me
like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers,
new parts, etc.

It all depends on how much and what you carry. I used a tool belt (pouch
that hangs on a belt) for many years at work. I also had to climb lots of
ladders and on other things to get to what I needed to work on much of the
time, so I needed both hands free. In the pouch were several screwdrivers,
3 nutdrivers, about 3 or 4 open end wrenches, wire strippers,needle nose
pliers, adjustiable wrench, and channel locks. Also some electrical and
teflon tape.

I could be working on 1/4 and 3/8 inch tubing or many kinds of electrical
stuff. I hade a Fluke tester that was long and thin that I often stuck in
my back pocket.
If I needed a real multimeter, I had one in a case that I carried in my
hand.

I also used a bag to keep the larger tools and and other items in such as
spray cans of penetrating oil.

Had it not been for all the climbing I think I would have just stayed with a
bag and sholder strap.