Junior Member

Location: Shenadoah Valley of Virginia
Default What's in your toolbelt ?

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I have:
Dead-On toolbelt with 3" AWP leather belt w/ Workhorse 45degree hammer holster
Pair of Hang-it-up suspenders w/ shoulder pads

Right Pouch:
Dead-on Exhumer
Stanley mini pry bar
6-in-1 painters tool
Stanley yellow utility knife
ProjectCalc
Stanley Fat Max chaulk box
lumber crayon w/ krel (crayon holder) and pencil sharpner on leather lanyard
Stanley nail sets (3)
Stanley Surform
several pencils

At Rear in hammer holster:
Douglas 20oz. Framer
Bigg Lug

Left Pouch:
Mayes 8" level
Stanley 1" chisel
Swanson Speed Square
Sears Craftsman 30' yellow tape
1 Pair HandMaster carp gloves
Plumb bob w/ 10' +/- string
AllTrade folding mini saw
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

Never use one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I have:
Dead-On toolbelt with 3" AWP leather belt w/ Workhorse 45degree
hammer holster
Pair of Hang-it-up suspenders w/ shoulder pads

No longer need one ... my TV contract expired and my tits shrunk.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

Never use one.

Nice thing for doing carpentry, hinders more than helps doing cabinetry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I have:
Dead-On toolbelt with 3" AWP leather belt w/ Workhorse 45degree
hammer holster
Pair of Hang-it-up suspenders w/ shoulder pads

No longer need one ... my TV contract expired and my tits shrunk.

The visual is shocking. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

How long does it take you to get into and out of that get-up?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I have:
Dead-On toolbelt with 3" AWP leather belt w/ Workhorse 45degree
hammer holster
Pair of Hang-it-up suspenders w/ shoulder pads

How long does it take you to get into and out of that get-up?

Considering all that weight, maybe those are hernia trusses that are being
hauled?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 06:04:18 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I have:

Pair of Hang-it-up suspenders w/ shoulder pads

No longer need one ... my tits shrunk.

8{O!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I hope you have a good back brace, your gonna need it to carry around all
that stuff I have a set of suspenders on my belt that helps take some
weight off my hips and puts it on my shoulders. Seems much more comfortable
to split the weight of my rig up.
What I carry is determined by the job at hand. For framing, I carry the
basic stuff...
Framing hammer, tape, speed square, cat's paw, chaulk box, utility knife,
several pencils, old chisel, 4 in 1 screwdriver, torpedo level, large nail
set. Anything else is in a toolbox in the truck. Sometimes the toolbelt
sits in a corner and I just carry a tape, pencil, speed square and a utility
knife.
When doing finishing work, the big toolbelt stays in the truck. Walking
around someones house with that thing on can cause more damage (hammer loops
scratching door jambs when walking through, etc) so I use a smaller apron.
These aprons are canvas and can be bought at most any home center for $2 or
so. They have two pouches to keep stuff. In there, I keep a 4 in 1 file,
end nips (for pulling nails out through the back of trim), tape, pencils,
small nail set, 4" combo square for marking reveals, and a block plane. The
finish hammer and speed square are nearby, but not carried everywhere. Once
again, the rest of the trim tools are in a toolbox in the truck.
Installing cabinetry requires about the same tools in the pouch as finish
work. --dave

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I have:
Dead-On toolbelt with 3" AWP leather belt w/ Workhorse 45degree
hammer holster
Pair of Hang-it-up suspenders w/ shoulder pads

No longer need one ... my TV contract expired and my tits shrunk.

Now I see why you're called swingman.
pukers,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

Trusshauler wrote:

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.
[snip]

In the shop, I wear a apron to protect the privates and carry a pencil.
If I'm doin' some carpenterin', I have a toolbelt for a hammer,
pencil, tape measure, and various nails or screws depending upon the
job. Anything else is in the carpenter's toolbox in the truck.
shazam,
jo4hn (aka captain Marvie)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Trusshauler wrote:
I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

It varies. I carry only the tools necessary to perform the task at hand.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

In the shop, I wear a apron to protect the privates and carry a pencil.

That's ALL I wear in the summer.

Well... Shoes and safety glasses, of course!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Trusshauler wrote:
I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

Left pouch:
corkscrew
bottle opener
22 Derringer
roach clip
EZcut papers
XM radio remote
cell phone.
Left slipper.

Right pouch:
Home surgery kit.
6 cans of Diet Pepsi.
Box of band-Aids.
Kazoo.
Slingshot.
Trusshauler's phone number.
Right slipper.

Backpack:
Small dog.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Trusshauler wrote:
I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I wear an apron but I suppose that still counts:

Apron: Basic Duluth Trading green apron with a couple of plastic
quickrelease beltclip things attached to the strings.

lower left pocket: 25 foot fastcap lefty/righty tape measure.
upper left pocket: empty when I'm working, safety glasses when I hang
it up
lower right pocket: Small Veritas Saddle square, Small Veritas
Try/Miter Square
upper right pocket: ZEM Hearing Protectors
left chest pocket: two or three pencils, six-inch scale, maybe a
sharpie
right chest pocket: dial calipers, sometimes the crank to the router
raizer.

In every pocket: varying amounts of sawdust.

Other objects as needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:03:20 GMT, B A R R Y wrote:

jo4hn wrote:

In the shop, I wear a apron to protect the privates and carry a pencil.

That's ALL I wear in the summer.

Now *that* was too much information.

Well... Shoes and safety glasses, of course!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 05:46:29 +0000, Trusshauler
wrote:

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I seem to carry less and less the older I get.

Left side

trim hammer
utility knife
small glue bottle
a few 8d hand drive finish nails
small nail set
a small compass for a scribe
2 or 3 pencils

right side

painters tool
1" chisel
flat screwdriver
a few 4d hand drive finish nails
2 drill bits that I use a lot
belt watch

middle

tape measure

Sometimes

If I'm doing a lot of nailing of casings I'll have a bunch of gun
nails somewhere.
a tri square
a phillips screwdriver
a small level
a stud finder
a chalk line
a folding rule
a sharpie
a radio if there is a big game on
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

No utility belt, summer attire consists of Shorts, Shoes and assorted pocket
tools. Typically, a 25' Lufkin, screwdriver, utility knife, wire strippers
and sundry fasteners. I used to carry more, but one of the neighbours lost
their site when I was bent over the pond doing some electrical work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi there,
I try to avoid wearing a toolbelt as much as possible . Too hard on
your back and hips as you get older. I can vouch for all the damage
done after years of toolbelts - woking in the field as a construction
electrician. It's easier to just have your toolbucket or toolbelt
nearby and have a couple of tools in your back pockets that you really
need and if you need something else go to toolbucket or toolbelt Time
alone will cause back and hip problems-don't add to the damage by
packing a heavy toolbelt all day.
Best wishes,
Peter

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Trusshauler" wrote in message

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

Never use one.

Likewise. Never saw the point in wearing one in the shop. The workbench is
just a step away. Anything I use allot, a pencil for example I can stick in
my shirt or pants pocket. The rest can sit on the bench.
Now working outside, up and down a ladder is a different thing. No place
handy to set small tools down, so I wear a tool belt.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Geez! I took a second look at your post and wondered why you carry so much
at one time!! Even when I wear a tool belt I just add the specific tools for
that particular job. You carry more in your belt than I own!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

When I was raised up as a carpenter we were told to carry the
following in our aprons:

Scribers.
Keel.
Utility knife.
Two nail sets.

A carpenter's pencil went behind your ear.

A tape hooked onto your belt.

The rest went into a tote.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Chalk, usually blue, hemispherical.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Keel?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Trusshauler wrote:
[...]

I used to carry a kit like that- even did a stint stacking trusses for
a while. that was 20someodd years ago, and the state of the art in
framing tools has changed somewhat, and I haven't seen the need to
update mine in a while so the names have changed, but I suspect the
designs haven't, much.

I went through a few sets of toolbelts, settled on a high-end one the
name of which escapes me now- I haven't seen it in a while. I have a
lightweight cotton apron with a couple of pockets that I use when I
need to move around with some fasteners and a tool or two, which does
happen occasionally. if I'm going to do any amount of actual framing
work, which will be happening here when I start building the new shop
in a month or so, I'll wear an old leather 3pocket bag that I inherited
somehow. it's nothing fancy, and I'll never load it up with much, but
it'll let me climb up into the rafters with a load of clavos and a
rock-on-a-stick to put stuff together.

funny now to look back at taking so much pride in framing tools, but I
sure did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I don't *like* to carry anything in a toolbelt, but on the occasions
where I need to for one reason or another, I just load it with what I
figure I'm going to need for the job.

The only real constants are a framing hammer on one side, and another
hammer or a hammer tacker on the other (yeah, I've gotten more than a
few funny looks over that, but it helps to balance the weight out so
my hips don't scream at me,) utility knife, speed square, tape
measure, cat's paw, chalk line, and 1.5" chisel. There's usually more
in there, but as noted, it depends on the job at hand.

Much nicer is the tool bag with a rubber bottom for carrying all my
assorted odds and ends. Some contractors will give you hell for using
one of those instead of a belt- but if you can get away with it, it
makes life a lot easier. A few years wearing a belt can mess up your
joints pretty good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

Keel.

A what?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
Chalk, usually blue, hemispherical.

wrote in message

Keel?

Color must be a regional thing ... it was always red chalk when I first
heard the term in the UK way back when, and was spelled "keyle", at least
the only time I saw it on a list.

AAMOF, the chalk, "red ocher" or "reddle, IIRC, would actually turn you red
if handled enough.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Trusshauler wrote:
I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

About the only time I wear one is if I'm putting up siding or drywall.
Then I'll carry:

A few handfuls of nails or screws.
Drill or hammer.
Ratcheting screwdriver.
Tape measure.
Utility knife.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wear pants or jeans with side pockets, called "carpenter" jeans.
That should handle almost anything that isn't a hammer or drill...which
I carry when needed.

I don't know about you guys, but if something comes up that I would
need the hammer, it's not that big of deal to walk out to the truck or
visit the toolbox.

I don't own any pneumatic nailers and am an amature handyman. If I
was a professional, the story would change.

How do you handle demo work? do you carry your heavy tool belt around
while you're swinging a sledge?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swagelok tube cutters

Tube benders, 2 rad's 1/4"

Tube fitting spanners

Tube fittings and parts

cordless drill/driver

'kin' big 'ammer, sometimes
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
Trusshauler wrote:

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

Left pouch:
corkscrew
bottle opener
22 Derringer
roach clip
EZcut papers
XM radio remote
cell phone.
Left slipper.

Right pouch:
Home surgery kit.
6 cans of Diet Pepsi.
Box of band-Aids.
Kazoo.
Slingshot.
Trusshauler's phone number.
Right slipper.

Backpack:
Small dog.

OK. You get today's dumbest award. Here's your sign.
LOL
jo4hn