Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Really bad house design

I have a house that I swear was designed and built by an idiot. It is now
22 years old and literally falling apart at the seams and everywhere else.
The question/problem I have today that I can't figure out is this.

The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out from the
foundation on two sides (side and back of house) and is level with the
foundation. This means that the sill of the house is sitting at the same
level as the "outside" slab so when it rains the water runs down the
house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots out the sill, the
siding, and the trim that have all been installed down to the slab. I hope
this is understandable I have added pictures below.

Now I have removed the rotting trim, siding, etc and can see rot of the
sill board happening. What can I do BEFORE I replace the siding and trim
to keep water from running under the siding and trim and rotting it AGAIN
and further rotting out the sill board, etc?

Any idea without just demolishing this whole stinking house?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...gn-758066-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/3/2013 4:44 PM, 1HandyWoman wrote:
[...]

Probably best thing is to regrade in front of the slab so the water at
least from the surrounding area is diverted. What lands directly on the
slab itself there's not much to be done about, unfortunately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1HandyWoman wrote:
[...]

Yeah. Build a short concrete wall outside of that part of the house, but
replace all the wet material before doing so. You know, mold and all that.
You'are right. That house was built by an idiot. No wooden construction
should ever be built at ground level or below, or where water may
accumulate.
Maybe the GC thought he was building a shed.
That would never have passed inspection where I live.
Contact the TV show 'Holmes On Homes' (Canadian). Maybe they will fix it
for free if they can use it on their show.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/13 4:44 PM, 1HandyWoman wrote:

Some cut.

The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out from the
foundation on two sides (side and back of house) and is level with
the foundation. This means that the sill of the house is sitting at
the same level as the "outside" slab so when it rains the water runs
down the house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots out
the sill, the siding, and the trim that have all been installed down
to the slab. I hope this is understandable I have added pictures
below.

Now I have removed the rotting trim, siding, etc and can see rot of
the sill board happening. What can I do BEFORE I replace the siding
and trim to keep water from running under the siding and trim and
rotting it AGAIN and further rotting out the sill board, etc?

A moat?
A ground level gutter system?
Would some sort of roof flashing work? Example he
http://tinyurl.com/kf9n6wv Slip part of it under the bottom piece
of siding. Use some sort of water sealant under the part on the
concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1HandyWoman wrote in
roups.com:

... just demolishing this whole stinking house?

Good idea.

###.homeownershub.coN

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 7:03:07 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I would cut off the concrete patio from the house and then
demolish it. Re-grade so that the wood is 6" min above the soil
and so the area outside the house slopes away. Then if she
wants, she can replace the patio with whatever she chooses,
eg pavers, concrete, stamped concrete, etc. Short of that, it's
just a lot of wasted time and money replacing wood that is going
to rot again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2013 5:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Maybe get a concrete saw and cut the slab away as close as possible to
the wall so you can grade the yard down from there?

I didn't look at the pics so I don't know if that is practical or not.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2013 5:44 PM, 1HandyWoman wrote:
[...]

You are right about the idiot.
There should have been a foundation that puts the wood off the slab.

I would consider the stuff they are using for truck beds...
spray some on the concrete around the walls. Re-sheathe the outside
after replacing whatever sills need replacing. Then spray the material
again and join with the foundation. That stuff is being used in
buildings now... while this may seem like BS, I don't see another
solution.. to preventing any water intrusion, even if you cut the slab
near the foundation, you need to seal it from any water intrusion...

I would consider cutting the slab and creating a boundary... I hope that
idiot knew to make the slab drop 1/4" per foot away from the house...
that is a basic... but that is just wrong the way it was done.

--
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 21:44:02 +0000, 1HandyWoman
wrote:

You have to cut that slab away from the outside of the sills.
Yep, it's terrible design.
Every sided house/barn/garage I've ever seen has the bottom of the
siding shedding water away from the sills and dropping to lower
ground.
That ground is graded away from the building so water won't pool up
higher than the foundation/slab and get to the sills.
It's a house, not a boat. Maybe the builder failed at boat making and
tried his hand with houses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2013 2:44 PM, 1HandyWoman wrote:
[...]

You may have a house that was part of a government program to build
low-cost housing that could be purchased by people with limited means.
They were designed to last 20 years. I forget the HUD program number.
Section 140, or something.

If this is what you have, it has exceeded it's design life time.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

1HandyWoman wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
No wonder I never lived in a old house some one else (had) built.
In my life time I had 5 houses built to our liking in the neighborhood
we like. If cabin is counted 6 altogether.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:46:20 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 8/3/2013 5:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Mabee just finish the house - build over the entire slab to keep all
water off the slab, and grade away from the slab to prevent
ground-water from infiltrating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/3/2013 5:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

If the slab does slope away from the house. a simple roof over the deck might
help a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woodchucker" wrote in message
news
You are right about the idiot.
There should have been a foundation that puts the wood
off the slab.

It's SOP to put sill plates on the slab but the slab should have been above
grade either via footers and fill or excavation of surrounding area.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1HandyWoman"
wrote
in message
roups.com
[...]

I can see four choices:

1. Demolish the slab and grade surface down and away from house.

2. Extend house over outside slab. You'd probably have to install
supports - piers? - for the outside slab and you'd still need to grade the
perimeter down and way from the outside slab.

3. Cut the oudside slab free and raise the entire existing house and slab
(mud jack?)

4. Sell the house.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

1HandyWoman wrote:

[...]

Concrete cutting and grinding equipment is readily available for rent
that can cut/grind a reasonable slope into the concrete so water drains
away. Most concrete contractors could do the job fairly inexpensively as
well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:44:50 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"1HandyWoman"

wrote

in message

roups.com

[...]

..

While option #2 would help, it's not a real solution because
it still leaves presumably untreated wood on top of concrete.
And from a practicality standpoint, I think only #1 and #4
are viable. How much #1 would cost depends on what is around
the house, eg landscaping, sidewalks, driveway and also how
the existing natural grade goes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

1HandyWoman wrote:

[...]

Jack the whole house up (slowly and carefully) and build a single course
block wall with grouted (filled) cores under it. A little refinishing
inside and your water problem is fixed and you've gained ~8" of ceiling
height as well. Also rent a concrete grinder and grind the outside
concrete to a reasonable 1/4" per foot slope away from the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/3/2013 4:44 PM, 1HandyWoman wrote:

The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out from the
foundation on two sides (side and back of house) and is level with the
foundation. This means that the sill of the house is sitting at the same
level as the "outside" slab so when it rains the water runs down the
house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots out the sill, the
siding, and the trim that have all been installed down to the slab. I hope
this is understandable I have added pictures below.

In least to most order...looked at the pictures; a wide view of the
overall layout of the lot, etc., would be more useful, but--

A) cut the slab at the house and about a foot or so back and remove.
Dig drainage, install drain tile and gravel, cover w/ decorative rock to
ground level

B) cut slab and remove entirely. Regrade lot to level of leaving 8" or
so below present grade and re-landscape. Probably practical only if is
sloping lot overall which can't tell w/o wider view.

C) separate plumbing and electrical and raise house. Pour or lay block
footer to get height. Set back down and reconnect utilities, etc., ...

D) if like the area (and since is unlikely I'd think you'd be able to
sell the existing house as is, unfortunately, at least for anything
other than give-away), raze it and use the slab (assuming has sufficient
footing under it) as base and as in C) pour the footings it shoulda' had
to begin with.

E) Or, just rip it all out to bare ground and start over entirely...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a house that I swear was designed and built by an idiot. It is now
22 years old and literally falling apart at the seams and everywhere else.
The question/problem I have today that I can't figure out is this.

I can't help with the question but did you screw up the picture urls
or did Homeowners hub. They weren't links without rewirting on my
part.

These are functional links, without the annoying /IMG

[IMG] http://www.homeownershub.com/img/x [/IMG]

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/y[/IMG

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/z[/IMG]

If the website insists on mutiliating link names, you'd be better off
reading Usenet directly, instead of though this webpage, which does
nothing more than copy what appears on usenet alt.home.repair

You can get a free news server from www.eternal-september.com and
there are free news readers in Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Sea
Monkey and other software.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a house that I swear was designed and built by an idiot. It is now

22 years old and literally falling apart at the seams and everywhere else.

The question/problem I have today that I can't figure out is this.

I can't help with the question but did you screw up the picture urls

or did Homeowners hub. They weren't links without rewirting on my

part.

These are functional links, without the annoying /IMG

[IMG] http://www.homeownershub.com/img/x [/IMG]

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/y[/IMG

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/z[/IMG]

If the website insists on mutiliating link names, you'd be better off

reading Usenet directly, instead of though this webpage, which does

nothing more than copy what appears on usenet alt.home.repair

I don't know what browser you're running, but the links all opened OK
as provided here using Win Explorer 10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/3/2013 5:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

That's what I was thinking too. The house needs a "skirt".

I'll guess there were no plans, no permit and no building inspector involved
in the constsruction. To the OP: it sounds like you've owned the house for
a while. Didn't the construction raise some flags when you bought it?

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1HandyWoman" wrote in
message roups.com...
[...]

Ok what you need to do is this.
The horizontal base timber will need to be replaced on a piecemeal basis.
Also the rotted vertical timbers will need to be cut back.

So you need to construct dwarf wall (ie two or three bricks high )with the
new base timber on top of it with a damp proof course between it and the new
bricks. This will stop the same thing happening again.

ie you can cut out the rotten timber and replace it with the new brick wall.

It will have to be done bit by bit supprting the floors as the rotten wood
is cut away. Should be possible to do an elevation at a time.

The job is not a big deal, any competent carpenter or DIY man could do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 5, 2013 10:35:24 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:
"1HandyWoman" wrote in

message roups.com...

[...]

Yeah, that should be real practical. Go around the whole house, cut out
six inches of sill plate, wall studs, drywall, etc. Replace it with
brick. Then what? Install new drywall to the brick? What happens
when you come to a door?

ie you can cut out the rotten timber and replace it with the new brick wall.

It will have to be done bit by bit supprting the floors as the rotten wood

is cut away. Should be possible to do an elevation at a time.

Good grief! Supporting the floors? It's a house built on a SLAB.

The job is not a big deal, any competent carpenter or DIY man could do it.

LOL - Not a big deal? Any DIY guy can do it? It's likely that
someone following your advice did this to begin with.

The village idiot, once again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a house that I swear was designed and built by an idiot.
It is now 22 years old and literally falling apart at the seams
The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out from the
foundation on two sides (side and back of house) and is level with the
foundation. This means that the sill of the house is sitting at the
same level as the "outside" slab so when it rains the water runs down
the house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots out the
sill, the siding, and the trim that have all been installed down to
the slab. I hope this is understandable I have added pictures below.
Now I have removed the rotting trim, siding, etc and can see rot of
the sill board happening. What can I do BEFORE I replace the siding
and trim to keep water from running under the siding and trim and
rotting it AGAIN and further rotting out the sill board, etc?

Wow, that is a dumb design... I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

My in-laws house had a similar problem, where the basement extended out
under the front and rear porches. As you would expect, water leaked in on
the porches and rotted the sills, joists, and beams supporting the house.
We solved it by doing away with the porches and extending the house out
to the edge of the foundation.

http://www.mountainsoftware.com/proj...009porches.htm

You could probably do something similar by extending your house out to
the edge of the slab.

If you don't want to add square footage, you might be able to cut the
slab back an inch or two from the wall (as close as you can get with a
concrete saw). Then you could add strapping to the outside of the walls
so your siding could overlap the new edge of the slab. I would remove
remaining part of the slab outside and regrade the yard away from the
house. Or pour a new patio at a lower level, sloping away from the house.

The only other option I can think of would be to cut a trough around the
perimeter of the house and install continuous drains. These are often
installed in front of garage doors to keep water from running into a
garage when the drive slopes toward the garage. It wouldn't stop
splashback off the slab, and some water could still find it's way in
under the sill, but it would reduce the volume.

Tricky problem. Good luck!

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com/anthony.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:10:18 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

That last part is the key. Just extending the house out over the
rest of the slab won't solve the problem, because the wood would still
be right next to soil. And it would seem a lot simpler to just get rid
of the slab and re-grade instead of extending the house out.
The only unknown is if the terrain makes that difficult or impossible
for some reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Agent 1.9, copyright 2002 ! But this is the first time it has had
trouble with anything.

I suppose version 6 and 7 would have handled them. Sorry, 1H.

Junior Member

Location: CA

I am a new poster here but I have an experience about home building if anybody wants to build the home so first of all he have to choose the good reputed builder who can design the home as per your need. People usually not planning just they hire the contractor and build homes. After the construction they face many issues so start your journey on the right path.
Melbourne home builder

Last edited by hiltan : August 14th 13 at 11:03 AM