Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Really bad house design

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:46:20 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 8/3/2013 5:09 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/3/2013 4:44 PM, 1HandyWoman wrote:
I have a house that I swear was designed and built by an idiot. It is now
22 years old and literally falling apart at the seams and everywhere
else.
The question/problem I have today that I can't figure out is this.

The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out from the
foundation on two sides (side and back of house) and is level with the
foundation. This means that the sill of the house is sitting at the same
level as the "outside" slab so when it rains the water runs down the
house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots out the sill, the
siding, and the trim that have all been installed down to the slab. I
hope
this is understandable I have added pictures below.

Now I have removed the rotting trim, siding, etc and can see rot of the
sill board happening. What can I do BEFORE I replace the siding and trim
to keep water from running under the siding and trim and rotting it AGAIN
and further rotting out the sill board, etc?

Probably best thing is to regrade in front of the slab so the water at
least from the surrounding area is diverted. What lands directly on the
slab itself there's not much to be done about, unfortunately.

--

Maybe get a concrete saw and cut the slab away as close as possible to
the wall so you can grade the yard down from there?

I didn't look at the pics so I don't know if that is practical or not.

nate

Mabee just finish the house - build over the entire slab to keep all
water off the slab, and grade away from the slab to prevent
ground-water from infiltrating.