Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Really bad house design

"1HandyWoman"
wrote
in message
roups.com
I have a house that I swear was designed and built by an
idiot. It is now 22 years old and literally falling apart
at the seams and everywhere else. The question/problem I
have today that I can't figure out is this.
The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out
from the foundation on two sides (side and back of house)
and is level with the foundation. This means that the
sill of the house is sitting at the same level as the
"outside" slab so when it rains the water runs down the
house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots
out the sill, the siding, and the trim that have all been
installed down to the slab. I hope this is understandable
I have added pictures below.
Now I have removed the rotting trim, siding, etc and can
see rot of the sill board happening. What can I do BEFORE
I replace the siding and trim to keep water from running
under the siding and trim and rotting it AGAIN and
further rotting out the sill board, etc?
Any idea without just demolishing this whole stinking
house?

I can see four choices:

1. Demolish the slab and grade surface down and away from house.

2. Extend house over outside slab. You'd probably have to install
supports - piers? - for the outside slab and you'd still need to grade the
perimeter down and way from the outside slab.

3. Cut the oudside slab free and raise the entire existing house and slab
(mud jack?)

4. Sell the house.

--

dadiOH