Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Really bad house design

On Monday, August 5, 2013 10:35:24 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:
"1HandyWoman" wrote in

message roups.com...

I have a house that I swear was designed and built by an idiot. It is now

22 years old and literally falling apart at the seams and everywhere else.

The question/problem I have today that I can't figure out is this.

The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out from the

foundation on two sides (side and back of house) and is level with the

foundation. This means that the sill of the house is sitting at the same

level as the "outside" slab so when it rains the water runs down the

house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots out the sill, the

siding, and the trim that have all been installed down to the slab. I hope

this is understandable I have added pictures below.

Now I have removed the rotting trim, siding, etc and can see rot of the

sill board happening. What can I do BEFORE I replace the siding and trim

to keep water from running under the siding and trim and rotting it AGAIN

and further rotting out the sill board, etc?

Any idea without just demolishing this whole stinking house?

--

posted from

http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...gn-758066-.htm

using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

to home and garden related groups

Ok what you need to do is this.

The horizontal base timber will need to be replaced on a piecemeal basis.

Also the rotted vertical timbers will need to be cut back.

So you need to construct dwarf wall (ie two or three bricks high )with the

new base timber on top of it with a damp proof course between it and the new

bricks. This will stop the same thing happening again.

Yeah, that should be real practical. Go around the whole house, cut out
six inches of sill plate, wall studs, drywall, etc. Replace it with
brick. Then what? Install new drywall to the brick? What happens
when you come to a door?

ie you can cut out the rotten timber and replace it with the new brick wall.

It will have to be done bit by bit supprting the floors as the rotten wood

is cut away. Should be possible to do an elevation at a time.

Good grief! Supporting the floors? It's a house built on a SLAB.

The job is not a big deal, any competent carpenter or DIY man could do it.

LOL - Not a big deal? Any DIY guy can do it? It's likely that
someone following your advice did this to begin with.

The village idiot, once again.