Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Really bad house design

On 8/3/13 4:44 PM, 1HandyWoman wrote:

Some cut.

The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out from the
foundation on two sides (side and back of house) and is level with
the foundation. This means that the sill of the house is sitting at
the same level as the "outside" slab so when it rains the water runs
down the house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots out
the sill, the siding, and the trim that have all been installed down
to the slab. I hope this is understandable I have added pictures
below.

Now I have removed the rotting trim, siding, etc and can see rot of
the sill board happening. What can I do BEFORE I replace the siding
and trim to keep water from running under the siding and trim and
rotting it AGAIN and further rotting out the sill board, etc?

A moat?
A ground level gutter system?
Would some sort of roof flashing work? Example he
http://tinyurl.com/kf9n6wv Slip part of it under the bottom piece
of siding. Use some sort of water sealant under the part on the
concrete.