Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing an Allen screw

I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The
coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds.
The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws
that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not
get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not
want to break it.

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

Soak 'em over night. A little bit of vibration by taping with a small
hammer.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:27:24 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

Try tightening, then loosening. Tap on the Allen wrench at the bend.
Pretend you're driving the Allen wrench into the screws.

+1

I'm feeling vibrations

Liquid wrench will travel in the set screw threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

Try tightening, then loosening. Tap on the Allen wrench at the bend.
Pretend you're driving the Allen wrench into the screws.

+1

I'm feeling vibrations

Liquid wrench will travel in the set screw threads.

If that doesn't work, try hammering in a torx bit. If *that* doesn't
work, Allen head screws are easier to drill than a lot of other types,
because your drill bit will self center.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:05:04 PM UTC-4, W. eWatson wrote:
I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The

coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds.

The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws

that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not

get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not

want to break it.

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.

Any suggestions?

If you cannot drill it cut it. get a new coupler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2013 8:05 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The
coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds.
The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws
that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not
get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not
want to break it.

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

All of the above are good suggestions. I'm prone to heat with the
penetrating oil. Spray oil, then heat coupler. The expansion will allow
the oil to set in. Then do as suggested with back and forth (or righty
and lefty), breaking it loose.

Spraying, heating then leaving it over night is another option as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:49:38 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

All of the above are good suggestions. I'm prone to heat with the
penetrating oil. Spray oil, then heat coupler. The expansion will allow
the oil to set in. Then do as suggested with back and forth (or righty
and lefty), breaking it loose.

Spraying, heating then leaving it over night is another option as well.

They would be my choices
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

Try tightening, then loosening. Tap on the Allen wrench at the bend.
Pretend you're driving the Allen wrench into the screws.

+1

I'm feeling vibrations

Liquid wrench will travel in the set screw threads.

Yes, heat, liquid wrench, with tapping (as it says on the container)
and tightening before loosening.

If that doesn't work, try hammering in a torx bit. If *that* doesn't
work, Allen head screws are easier to drill than a lot of other types,
because your drill bit will self center.

Well, if you're going to drill, a last resort, get a left-handed drill
bit and a reversable drill and run the drill backwards. That way you
have a good chance the drill will unscrew the Allen screw, before it
ruins, or totally ruins, the threads.

Home Depot sells them one at a time from a VA, and Harbor Freight has
a set from an unknown source, but they've changed how many. For
occasional use, HF is probably fine.
nate

Senior Member

There was a similar thread in here a few weeks back about removing the set screw that holds a single lever faucet handle in place. One of the suggestions in that thread; the best one IMHO, was to use a left hand twist drill bit to drill out the stuck set screw. I think that advice would apply equally well here.

If removing the set screws by conventional means doesn't pan out, and after you've drenched it with penetrating oil and whacked on a torx bit and you find you have no option but to drill out that set screw, buy a left hand twist drill bit to do it with, or a few of 'em. There's a good chance the drill bit itself will take the set screw out. If not, you're no worse off than if you'd use a regular right hand twist bit to drill it out.

In fact, may be use a small left hand twist drill bit to try drilling it out, and then try and Easy-Out to take it out, and if that doesn't work, buy a bigger left hand twist drill bit to drill it out.

Last edited by nestork : July 29th 13 at 03:24 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

I've never seen them at HD but I did buy a set from HF as they're
relatively inexpensive compared to the sources that I'm aware of that
sell quality stuff (McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc.)

I haven't used them yet though (thankfully!) so I can't give you any
impressions of them other than they look like left-handed drill bits.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the web had them from VA.

relatively inexpensive compared to the sources that I'm aware of that
sell quality stuff (McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc.)

I haven't used them yet though (thankfully!) so I can't give you any
impressions of them other than they look like left-handed drill bits.

Yes, they got that part right. A good sign.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07-28-2013 20:05, W. eWatson wrote:
I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The
coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds.
The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws
that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not
get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not
want to break it.

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

Can you find a straight, screwdriver-style allen?

I've had success with stubborn screws by simulating an impact
wrench--grab the handle and twist as hard as I can, and with
the torque still applied, smack the end of the screwdriver with a hammer.

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The
coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds.
The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws
that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not
get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not
want to break it.

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

I have good results with PB Blaster penetrant. I would try a hammer
operated hand impact tool with a socket mounted allen on the square
drive adapter.
--
Mr.E

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The

coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds.

The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws

that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not

get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not

want to break it.

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.

Any suggestions?

I have good results with PB Blaster penetrant. I would try a hammer

operated hand impact tool with a socket mounted allen on the square

drive adapter.

--

Mr.E

Is he using a regular L shaped wrench or an allen head bit in
a socket wrench? I find the latter better for hard to remove
screws. You can get more torque on it and it's more stable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:05:04 -0700, W. eWatson wrote:

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

I only know the classic top-ten solutions to stuck nuts & bolts:

1. Penetrating oil (you used that already)
2. Tapping (because kinetic friction is less than static friction?)
3. Heat (expansion and contraction may break chemical bonds?)
4. Leverage (a longer stronger allen key can move the world)
5. Impact drivers (I don't see how you can fit them in here though)
6. Screw extractors (I don't see how you can drill the center though)
7. Nut crackers (I don't see that you can crack the head here though)
8. Oversized tools (which works when the heads are stripped)
9. Saws (to cut off the head of the bolt)
10. Drills (drill out and retap the bolt hole)

Given your situation, I only see the first 4 standing any chance
of fitting in your narrow confines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Castle Thrust (penetrating oil) works for me. Also, lots of heat, from
Mapp or acetylene torch may help.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/28/2013 8:05 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The
coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds.
The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws
that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not
get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not
want to break it.

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you can find Castle Thrust, I've had good results with that. Loosened
the headlight adjuster screws on my Blazer, after several other
penetrants failed.

I'm pickin up good vibrations.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

" wrote:

Try tightening, then loosening. Tap on the Allen wrench at the bend.
Pretend you're driving the Allen wrench into the screws.

+1

I'm feeling vibrations

Liquid wrench will travel in the set screw threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Left handed drill bits?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/28/2013 8:41 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I'm feeling vibrations

Liquid wrench will travel in the set screw threads.

If that doesn't work, try hammering in a torx bit. If *that* doesn't
work, Allen head screws are easier to drill than a lot of other types,
because your drill bit will self center.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." writes:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:05:04 -0700, W. eWatson wrote:

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

I only know the classic top-ten solutions to stuck nuts & bolts:

6. Screw extractors (I don't see how you can drill the center though)

The stuck allen screw in my kitchen faucet yielded to a screw extractor.
Don't remember if I drilled the center or not, I think I just used a
size that grabbed hold of the 6 sided indentation.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:23:04 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

1. Penetrating oil (you used that already)
2. Tapping (because kinetic friction is less than static friction?)
3. Heat (expansion and contraction may break chemical bonds?)
4. Leverage (a longer stronger allen key can move the world)
5. Impact drivers (I don't see how you can fit them in here though)
6. Screw extractors (I don't see how you can drill the center though)
7. Nut crackers (I don't see that you can crack the head here though)
8. Oversized tools (which works when the heads are stripped)
9. Saws (to cut off the head of the bolt)
10. Drills (drill out and retap the bolt hole)

11. Cursing up a blue storm!
12. Calling up a repair man!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 19:01:17 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Left handed drill bits?

.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#left-hand-drill-bits/=nu8r3r
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:05:04 PM UTC-5, W. eWatson wrote:
I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds. The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not want to break it.. I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail. Any suggestions?

I would heat it fairly hot and then spray WD40 or the penetrating oil on the screw threads. As the setscrew cools, it will pull the WD40 into the threads. I usually use a Bernzomatic torch or equivalent to do the heating, just do not get the coupler so hot that it loses its temper, if any. A couple of heat and extrme cooliing cylces usually breaks almost anything free