Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default how to remove striped allen screw?

All,

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dansawyeror wrote:
All,

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Can you drill it out? That's usually how I deal with stripped screws.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dansawyeror" wrote in message
. ..

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5 mm.
Any thoughts on how to get this off?

ISTR that Sears sells a small extractor set.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in message
news
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:06:45 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:

dansawyeror wrote:
All,

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Can you drill it out? That's usually how I deal with stripped screws.

Drill with a CCW bit.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

CCW/ left hand drill bit in a CCW/left-hand drill preferably, they both do
exist but the bits are a bit hen's teeth. The last time I enquired at the
main local engineering supplier (been there 50 years) the bod behind the
counter looked at me as though I was trying to wind him up (CCWise of
course). For such small diameter extraction it is just a matter of
regrinding a standard drill bit with the opposite throw on the cutting end.
Swarf clearance is irrelevant for this. Remember to mark the storage box
with big letters that the enclosed bit/s is/are CCW. Where I used to work it
a the fun thing for the mechanical engineer to supply the electronic
technicians with one of his CCW bits to see how they reacted , ie coming
back complaining that he'd supplied a blunt bit.
--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The gear has a dial with a small, strip[p]ed allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

I presume that the screw head is flat (counter-sunk) or you wouldn't be
having a problem grabbing the head with vice-grips and just twisting it out.
So...

Get a real small cold chisel and a ball-peen hammer. Use the corner of the
chisel to cut a divot into the face of the screw near the edge of the screw
head. Then, tapping the chisel's corner into the divot, turning it CCW,
"walk" it out.

Or

If the head is not flush with the surface around it, use the chisel to cut a
"bite" into the edge of the screw head. Then, tapping the chisel into the
bite, turning it CCW, "walk" it out.

Or

Drill in the hex hole with a drill bit larger than the diameter of the screw
shank. When the head pops off, remove the dial and grab the remaining screw
shank with a pair of vice-grips and unscrew.

Or

Weld another bolt onto the head of the stripped out screw head. Unscrew both.

--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

CCW/ left hand drill bit in a CCW/left-hand drill preferably, they both do
exist but the bits are a bit hen's teeth. The last time I enquired at the
main local engineering supplier (been there 50 years) the bod behind the
counter looked at me as though I was trying to wind him up (CCWise of
course). For such small diameter extraction it is just a matter of
regrinding a standard drill bit with the opposite throw on the cutting end.
Swarf clearance is irrelevant for this. Remember to mark the storage box
with big letters that the enclosed bit/s is/are CCW. Where I used to work it
a the fun thing for the mechanical engineer to supply the electronic
technicians with one of his CCW bits to see how they reacted , ie coming
back complaining that he'd supplied a blunt bit.

Oh, come on, why complexify your life? Just use a normal drill. What
difference does it make ifyou tighten the screw more as all of it wil be
removed. Once the screw has been drilled out, retap with the next size
and install a new screw. Done.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20 Apr 2007 08:04:52 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

Oh, come on, why complexify your life? Just use a normal drill. What
difference does it make ifyou tighten the screw more as all of it wil be
removed. Once the screw has been drilled out, retap with the next size
and install a new screw. Done.

The trick is that the left handed bit often causes the screw to come
out before drilling through it. Major help especially for hardened
screws, and when you drill through the screw fully, you also dimple
the shaft making it more difficult to align the newly installed knob
or gear sometimes.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Oh, come on, why complexify your life? Just use a normal drill. What
difference does it make ifyou tighten the screw more as all of it wil be
removed. Once the screw has been drilled out, retap with the next size
and install a new screw. Done.

The trick is that the left handed bit often causes the screw to come
out before drilling through it. Major help especially for hardened
screws, and when you drill through the screw fully, you also dimple
the shaft making it more difficult to align the newly installed knob
or gear sometimes.

Exactly my experience that often the biting torque of a slow speed LH drill
and LH bit is all that is required to undo it. I've kept an otherwise unused
big yellow low rev , mains powered, but reversible drill for this purpose
and a set of bits , mainly myself LH cutting-face counter-ground, right hand
bits from 1.5mm to 6mm. Another tip is to have a few more with a long piece
of matching diameter rod brazed/welded to these LH bits for drilling
out/removing grub screws in knobs at the centre of large bits of kit.
You know the situation, corroded steel in aluminium or brass knobs or
inserts of knobs or steel in steel shafts etc

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default how to remove striped alien screw?

On 20 Apr, 03:53, dansawyeror wrote:

All,

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan

A long list of methods:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Screw_Removal

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 19, 10:53 pm, dansawyeror wrote:
All,

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan

If it's not countersunk, a small pair of vice-grips does nicely. I
have even had success using small haemostats. If it is counter-sunk,
there are any number of extractor-bits available for your drill.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Go to Sears and look at the sets of screw extractors (Easi-Outs),
perhaps one the right size will grip the inside of the allen screw. You
might have to drill out the center however.

dansawyeror wrote:

All,

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" ) writes:
On Apr 19, 10:53 pm, dansawyeror wrote:
All,

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan

If it's not countersunk, a small pair of vice-grips does nicely. I
have even had success using small haemostats. If it is counter-sunk,
there are any number of extractor-bits available for your drill.

If it's not countersunk, there are obviously far more options.

When taking things apart to salvage some parts, I've used a cutoff
wheel in a "Dremel" tool to put a slot in bolts that have unusual
heads (usually there to prevent tampering). Slice a slot across
the top, then use a regular screwdriver to remove the screw.

Of course, it doesn't work if the bolt/screw is embedded.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20 Apr, 16:44, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

Go to Sears and look at the sets of screw extractors (Easi-Outs),
perhaps one the right size will grip the inside of the allen screw. You
might have to drill out the center however.

funny that one of the worst methods is so popular. They have a habit
of making the screw unremovable.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 20 Apr, 16:44, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

Go to Sears and look at the sets of screw extractors (Easi-Outs),
perhaps one the right size will grip the inside of the allen screw. You
might have to drill out the center however.

funny that one of the worst methods is so popular. They have a habit
of making the screw unremovable.

NT

I think I have 2 sets of "easi outs" the smallest ones broken in each set
and even then not small enough for the usual "electronic" seized screws.
Incidently they are CCW / LH (lazy) threaded also.
Incidently using left hand drill bits for grub screws set in bakelite knobs
its a matter of making some small guide tubes to sit in the bakelite and
guide the LH bits into the centre of the screw so it doesn't slide off the
steel.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

sit in the bakelite

"Sit"? You mean drill and insert into the bakelite? The cure sounds more
drastic than the ailment...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Brodbeck" wrote in message
t...

Besides, the original post was about a 1.5mm set screw. That's awfully
small. It's hard for me to see any method other than drilling being
practical.

Grind it out or spark it out. Neither will be fun or cheap.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20 Apr, 20:10, "Homer J Simpson" wrote:
"David Brodbeck" wrote in message

t...

Besides, the original post was about a 1.5mm set screw. That's awfully
small. It's hard for me to see any method other than drilling being
practical.

Grind it out or spark it out. Neither will be fun or cheap.

What do you mean by spark it out?

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
On 20 Apr, 16:44, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

Go to Sears and look at the sets of screw extractors (Easi-Outs),
perhaps one the right size will grip the inside of the allen screw. You
might have to drill out the center however.

funny that one of the worst methods is so popular. They have a habit
of making the screw unremovable.

NT

I think I have 2 sets of "easi outs" the smallest ones broken in each set
and even then not small enough for the usual "electronic" seized screws.
Incidently they are CCW / LH (lazy) threaded also.
Incidently using left hand drill bits for grub screws set in bakelite knobs
its a matter of making some small guide tubes to sit in the bakelite and
guide the LH bits into the centre of the screw so it doesn't slide off the
steel.

Here`s a method that might work. Anyone who repairs video recorders has
a sizeable collection of small allen keys. Get the nearest larger
(either metric or non metric) - depending on what the original is, you
might find that it`s only marginally bigger than the original hole and
wont quite fit in. Freeze it with your trusty freezer spray and
hopefully it will push in. let it warm up back to room temperature, and
with a bit of luck, it just might grip enough to get the grub screw moving.

As the professor said, It`s a long shot, but it might just work.

Ron(UK)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Grind it out or spark it out. Neither will be fun or cheap.

What do you mean by spark it out?

Electrical-Discharge Machining (EDM)

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/stuckscrews.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dansawyeror wrote:
All,

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan

I use Torex tips, Just jam them in..
other tricks I've done is put a very small spot
of expoxy on the end of the key wrench and stick
it in the head and let it set.., then turn out the
screw and replace it.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan

Take the next-larger size hex wrench (if it's a metric, be sure to check
inch-sizes, too, for a close fit; if inch, check metric). Grind it down just
enough to jamb it in the stripped hole. Unscrew.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 02:40:29 GMT, DaveC wrote:

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan

Take the next-larger size hex wrench (if it's a metric, be sure to check
inch-sizes, too, for a close fit; if inch, check metric). Grind it down just
enough to jamb it in the stripped hole. Unscrew.

When I run into such a screw, I just use a pair of diagonal cutters,
one blade in the hole and the other on the outside circumference. I've
always had enough grip that way to get the screw broken free and turning.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My guestion is why was the OP using allen screws that had
stripes on them?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"UCLAN" wrote in message

My guestion is why was the OP using allen screws that had
stripes on them?

How else would you apply the fudge coating?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

UCLAN wrote:
My guestion is why was the OP using allen screws that had
stripes on them?

They were racing screws. The stripes add ten horsepower.

--
Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
That's why stereo has two channels.