Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stripped allen screw

I have a aluminum glass door where the handle is attached to the door frame
via two allen screws. One of them fell out and disappeared so I have to
take out the second one in order to get replacements.

The problem is that the second screw seem to be stripped. The screw is
hidden behind the inside facet of the handle and the entire screw is
threaded, there is not a wider bigger screw head, the screw disappears
completely inside the screw hole.

Now as I tried to unscrew it, it is not coming out, I believe the hex shaped
hole may be rounded, and I cannot get enough leverage to see into it. There
is no room to use any kind of drills or screw extractor at that angle.

Any ideas?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:35:05 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I have a aluminum glass door where the handle is attached to the door frame
via two allen screws. One of them fell out and disappeared so I have to
take out the second one in order to get replacements.

The problem is that the second screw seem to be stripped. The screw is
hidden behind the inside facet of the handle and the entire screw is
threaded, there is not a wider bigger screw head, the screw disappears
completely inside the screw hole.

Now as I tried to unscrew it, it is not coming out, I believe the hex shaped
hole may be rounded, and I cannot get enough leverage to see into it. There
is no room to use any kind of drills or screw extractor at that angle.

Any ideas?

MC

You must first clean out any residue that may be inside the head.
It is important to do this so that you can set the wrench correctly
before you make any further attempts. Next take a allen wrench and
grind the end so that you have sharp corners. Do not chamfer these
corners. Place the wrench in the hole and find a way to set it. When
you pull the wrench try to keep it perpendicular. It is best to pull
with a snap instead of slowly increasing torque.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a aluminum glass door where the handle is attached to the door frame
via two allen screws. One of them fell out and disappeared so I have to
take out the second one in order to get replacements.

The problem is that the second screw seem to be stripped. The screw is
hidden behind the inside facet of the handle and the entire screw is
threaded, there is not a wider bigger screw head, the screw disappears
completely inside the screw hole.

Now as I tried to unscrew it, it is not coming out, I believe the hex shaped
hole may be rounded, and I cannot get enough leverage to see into it. There
is no room to use any kind of drills or screw extractor at that angle.

If there's no chance to use a drill or screw extractor, I'd:

1. Forget the old screw and just create a new way to fasten
the handle with a new screw in a new location, or maybe
even with epoxy.

or

2. Carve up the old handle with a hacksaw until all the
bits fall off. Procure and install a brand new handle.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

the entire screw is
threaded, there is not a wider bigger screw head, the screw disappears
completely inside the screw hole.

You are describing a set screw. All you need to do is loosen it. You
don't have to remove it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
the entire screw is
threaded, there is not a wider bigger screw head, the screw disappears
completely inside the screw hole.

You are describing a set screw. All you need to do is loosen it. You
don't have to remove it.

Yes it is a set screw. It is used to tighten and held in place the lower
part of a glass door handle. I tried to remove it in order to get an
identical one because the top one was missing. Now I cannot loosen it. I
even tried tapping it hard into the hole and use a plier to clamp on to the
L shaped wrench to no avail. I will try it again tomorrow but instead of
turning it slow I will try to snap just as you suggested and see what
happens.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I have a aluminum glass door where the handle is attached to the door frame
via two allen screws. One of them fell out and disappeared so I have to
take out the second one in order to get replacements.

No, they're cheap. Buy 2, 3, or 4 of different sizes. Save the
others for the next time you need one.

The problem is that the second screw seem to be stripped. The screw is
hidden behind the inside facet of the handle and the entire screw is
threaded, there is not a wider bigger screw head, the screw disappears
completely inside the screw hole.Now as I tried to unscrew it, it is not coming out, I believe the hex shaped hole may be rounded, and I cannot get enough leverage to see into it. There
is no room to use any kind of drills or screw extractor at that angle.

Maybe you can use one of the 12 inch extensions. I think they are
less than a half inch in diameter. Best idea here is to get from
Harbor Freigh a set of left handed drill bits and use with a
reversible drill. Often drilling counter clockwise will unscrew the
screw, whereas drilling clockwise is guaranteed not do.

This would also be a good time to treat yourself to a flexible shaft,
between the drill and tthe 12 inch extension, if it is hard to drill
otherwise.

I've only seen 2 makers of ccw bits, Vermont American and Harbor
Freigh, and and hf is a lot cheaper I think.

But I still think you can just replace the first set screw.
Any ideas?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

When did you lose the first screw? If it's recent maybe you can find
it with a magnet so you have a good one to use for sizing purposes to
get a replacement. I'd get replacements made of stainless steel so
they most likely won't strip again. Other than that I like the
response where they said to saw away tha whole handle and replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
When did you lose the first screw? If it's recent maybe you can find
it with a magnet so you have a good one to use for sizing purposes to
get a replacement. I'd get replacements made of stainless steel so
they most likely won't strip again. Other than that I like the
response where they said to saw away tha whole handle and replace it.

While stainless is less likely to rust, I think the alloy set screws may be
less prone to stripping as they are a bit tougher.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buying a bunch of various size screws is an excellent suggestion.

Otherwise:
Before trying it again, shoot some WD-40 into the recess and let it seep
in for a while; it may help. If worse comes to worst, drill through the
door handle so that you can use the long leg of the Allen wrench to
reach the screw head. Put a pair of pliers on the short end so that
you can simultaneously push hard and turn hard.

Or you could just hacksaw the handle off of the door.

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a aluminum glass door where the handle is attached to the door frame
via two allen screws. One of them fell out and disappeared so I have to
take out the second one in order to get replacements.

The problem is that the second screw seem to be stripped. The screw is
hidden behind the inside facet of the handle and the entire screw is
threaded, there is not a wider bigger screw head, the screw disappears
completely inside the screw hole.

Now as I tried to unscrew it, it is not coming out, I believe the hex shaped
hole may be rounded, and I cannot get enough leverage to see into it. There
is no room to use any kind of drills or screw extractor at that angle.

Any ideas?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

While stainless is less likely to rust, I think the alloy set screws may be
less prone to stripping as they are a bit tougher.

Correct you are. The hex on stainless set screws easily strip.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 25, 8:35 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a aluminum glass door where the handle is attached to the door frame
via two allen screws. One of them fell out and disappeared so I have to
take out the second one in order to get replacements.

The problem is that the second screw seem to be stripped. The screw is
hidden behind the inside facet of the handle and the entire screw is
threaded, there is not a wider bigger screw head, the screw disappears
completely inside the screw hole.

Now as I tried to unscrew it, it is not coming out, I believe the hex shaped
hole may be rounded, and I cannot get enough leverage to see into it. There
is no room to use any kind of drills or screw extractor at that angle.

Any ideas?

MC

MiamiCuse, what are you doing over in this NG. Still ain't got that
house figured out. note to other readers, if he mentions his
sound system, RUN ;-))

Man you're trying way to hard. You want to keep the handle, right.
So as the other people mentioned, go to the hardware store and buy
EVERY set screw of a similar size in EVERY thread. This will set you
back about the cost of a cheeseburger. Then put in the new one and
forget about the old one -- it's already there and already secure.

Your other option is to drill it out and tap it, but you don't want to
do that, you just want your door closed.

third option. remove the door at the hinges and take it to a good
welding shop and have the handle welded in place. Just kidding