Posted to alt.home.repair
Wolf

Default stripped screw hole - conduit box

Options please ... installing an extension box onto an exterior wall
outlet (a weather proof cover will then be attached). The screw that
secures the outlet, also secures the extension box in place. While
securing the second screw I discover that the screw hole on the conduit
box is stripped ... I can not get a tight seal (one one screw holding)
and it will be impossible to get a weather tight seal on the cover
(which is attached to the extension box). The screw used is a 6 - 32
machine thread 2.5 inches long. Is there a quick fix ...
Posted to alt.home.repair
George

Wolf wrote:
Options please ... installing an extension box onto an exterior wall
outlet (a weather proof cover will then be attached). The screw that
secures the outlet, also secures the extension box in place. While
securing the second screw I discover that the screw hole on the conduit
box is stripped ... I can not get a tight seal (one one screw holding)
and it will be impossible to get a weather tight seal on the cover
(which is attached to the extension box). The screw used is a 6 - 32
machine thread 2.5 inches long. Is there a quick fix ...

I have used a #6 self tapping screw in similar situations.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , Wolf wrote:
Options please ... installing an extension box onto an exterior wall
outlet (a weather proof cover will then be attached). The screw that
secures the outlet, also secures the extension box in place. While
securing the second screw I discover that the screw hole on the conduit
box is stripped ... I can not get a tight seal (one one screw holding)
and it will be impossible to get a weather tight seal on the cover
(which is attached to the extension box). The screw used is a 6 - 32
machine thread 2.5 inches long. Is there a quick fix ...

Drill the hole out a bit larger, tap it with 8-32 threads, and use a screw
8-32x2.5.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:43:56 GMT, Wolf wrote:

Options please ... installing an extension box onto an exterior wall
outlet (a weather proof cover will then be attached). The screw that
secures the outlet, also secures the extension box in place. While
securing the second screw I discover that the screw hole on the conduit
box is stripped ... I can not get a tight seal (one one screw holding)
and it will be impossible to get a weather tight seal on the cover
(which is attached to the extension box). The screw used is a 6 - 32
machine thread 2.5 inches long. Is there a quick fix ...

What is the box made of?

Stuff something in the hole, a sliver of broken toothpick, a layer or
two of tin foil, or heavyduty foil. Let part of it remain outside the
hole when starting so you can tell that the whole thing didn't get
pushed in before the screw. Although tinfoil might rip, the wood
probably won't. I've never tried cloth, a cotton sport shirt that has
been turned into a rag, but it might work.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Wolf

George wrote:
Wolf wrote:

Options please ... installing an extension box onto an exterior wall
outlet (a weather proof cover will then be attached). The screw that
secures the outlet, also secures the extension box in place. While
securing the second screw I discover that the screw hole on the
conduit box is stripped ... I can not get a tight seal (one one screw
holding) and it will be impossible to get a weather tight seal on the
cover (which is attached to the extension box). The screw used is a 6
- 32 machine thread 2.5 inches long. Is there a quick fix ...

I have used a #6 self tapping screw in similar situations.

Thanks for all the responses ... unable to find a #6 2.5" self tapping
screw BUT was able to get a #8 ... since the # 6 was a loose fit I
thought I give it a try ... SUCCESS. I was going to tap it but but the
taps I had were too short and I didn't want to disassemble the
conduit(PVC - Rigid). Got everything buttoned up just before the rain
started :-) Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair
larry

Wolf wrote:
George wrote:

Wolf wrote:

[...]

Is Dallas the only place that sells 6/32 captive tinnerman
nuts? U shaped spring clip, thread one side, clearance hole
other side. Clip one over the box lip, threaded part to
back of the box.

Didn't read all the posts, but I'm sure drywall screws were
suggested. See a lot of that, nothing like a #6x32 slot
head in one and a #8 or #10 self-tap phillips(dw) in the other.

-larry

"anything worth doing at all is worth doing well" -Ms. Mac
GHS '64 ;-)