Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheet metal screw stripped out

One of the overhead vent covers in my house has stripped out. The screw
that goes into the sheet metal of the vent has become oversized and now the
screw won't hold.

If I stuff one of those plastic expanding wall anchor thingys in the sheet
metal will that suffice to hold it or is there a better way to secure the
screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
One of the overhead vent covers in my house has stripped out. The screw
that goes into the sheet metal of the vent has become oversized and now
the screw won't hold.

If I stuff one of those plastic expanding wall anchor thingys in the sheet
metal will that suffice to hold it or is there a better way to secure the
screw?

Assuming the vent cover isn't very heavy, it'll prolly work. Better
solution would be to just use a larger sheet metal screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume that the sheet metal screw is going into a flange of
sheet metal on the duct. You can use the next larger diameter
screw (this may require painting the new screw head). Stop at the
hardware store and buy a speed nut :
http://www.tinnerman.com/search.asp?C=77&C1=77&V=1&S=1 . Place
a thin piece of plastic (like the lid of a coffee can) behind the
flange and screw into it.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
One of the overhead vent covers in my house has stripped out.
The screw that goes into the sheet metal of the vent has become
oversized and now the screw won't hold.

If I stuff one of those plastic expanding wall anchor thingys in
the sheet metal will that suffice to hold it or is there a
better way to secure the screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
I assume that the sheet metal screw is going into a flange of sheet metal
on the duct. You can use the next larger diameter screw (this may require
painting the new screw head). Stop at the hardware store and buy a speed
nut :
http://www.tinnerman.com/search.asp?C=77&C1=77&V=1&S=1 . Place a thin
piece of plastic (like the lid of a coffee can) behind the flange and
screw into it.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Oh, one of those things. I can swipe one from the server room at work, we
have about 50 gazillion left over.

Cool, didn't think of something like that.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
One of the overhead vent covers in my house has stripped out. The screw
that goes into the sheet metal of the vent has become oversized and now
the screw won't hold.

If I stuff one of those plastic expanding wall anchor thingys in the
sheet metal will that suffice to hold it or is there a better way to
secure the screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, one of those things. I can swipe one from the server room at work, we
have about 50 gazillion left over.

Cool, didn't think of something like that.

\

admitting to stealing even something like this publically on the net
probably isnt a good idea

anyone might be watching

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
ups.com:

Oh, one of those things. I can swipe one from the server room at
work, we have about 50 gazillion left over.

Cool, didn't think of something like that.

\

admitting to stealing even something like this publically on the net
probably isnt a good idea

anyone might be watching

I've heard there are a lot of people who have graduated the Sally
Struthers school of speed nut police.