Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default How to Remove a Screw?

I have a chair that has 2 legs like a "L" shape.

The vertical line are the legs coming from the seat, the horiztonal
line is what holds it steady on the floor (does that make sense?).

I was leaning forward, and the screw that is at the intersection of the
two lines broke.

The head of the screw was facing the floor...the bottom part of the
screw is still in the metal leg.

How can I remove it?

Theres no way (that I can think of) to get to the screw to remove it.

Since it broke, I was thinking of taking some crazy glue and putting it
on the top part of the screw, and connecting it to the bottom part and
when its dry...unscrew it...and then replace the screw.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

John Weiss

wrote...

The head of the screw was facing the floor...the bottom part of the
screw is still in the metal leg.

How can I remove it?

Theres no way (that I can think of) to get to the screw to remove it.

You can buy a screw extractor from an auto parts store. It involves drilling a
small hole in the remaining shaft of the screw, then screwing the
left-hand-threaded extractor into the hole. Works well if the screw is not
corroded in place.

Al Bundy

John Weiss (at dot) wrote:
wrote...

The head of the screw was facing the floor...the bottom part of the
screw is still in the metal leg.

How can I remove it?

Theres no way (that I can think of) to get to the screw to remove it.

You can buy a screw extractor from an auto parts store. It involves drilling a
small hole in the remaining shaft of the screw, then screwing the
left-hand-threaded extractor into the hole. Works well if the screw is not
corroded in place.

True enough, but a person who thinks they might glue a screw together
won't be up to the task of using an extractor, nor would the one-time
expense justify buying the essentials.
The best move would be letting a knowledgeable friend remove it in
short order.