Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default how to remove striped allen screw?

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 02:40:29 GMT, DaveC wrote:

The gear has a dial with a small, striped allen screw. The tool is 1.5
mm. Any thoughts on how to get this off?

Thanks - Dan

Take the next-larger size hex wrench (if it's a metric, be sure to check
inch-sizes, too, for a close fit; if inch, check metric). Grind it down just
enough to jamb it in the stripped hole. Unscrew.

When I run into such a screw, I just use a pair of diagonal cutters,
one blade in the hole and the other on the outside circumference. I've
always had enough grip that way to get the screw broken free and turning.