Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Removing an Allen screw

On 07/28/2013 10:08 PM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:41:51 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 07/28/2013 08:36 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:27:24 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

Try tightening, then loosening. Tap on the Allen wrench at the bend.
Pretend you're driving the Allen wrench into the screws.

+1

I'm feeling vibrations

Liquid wrench will travel in the set screw threads.

Yes, heat, liquid wrench, with tapping (as it says on the container)
and tightening before loosening.

If that doesn't work, try hammering in a torx bit. If *that* doesn't
work, Allen head screws are easier to drill than a lot of other types,
because your drill bit will self center.

Well, if you're going to drill, a last resort, get a left-handed drill
bit and a reversable drill and run the drill backwards. That way you
have a good chance the drill will unscrew the Allen screw, before it
ruins, or totally ruins, the threads.

Home Depot sells them one at a time from a VA, and Harbor Freight has
a set from an unknown source, but they've changed how many. For
occasional use, HF is probably fine.
nate

I've never seen them at HD but I did buy a set from HF as they're
relatively inexpensive compared to the sources that I'm aware of that
sell quality stuff (McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc.)

I haven't used them yet though (thankfully!) so I can't give you any
impressions of them other than they look like left-handed drill bits.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel