Posted to alt.home.repair
Wes Groleau Wes Groleau is offline

Default Removing an Allen screw

On 07-28-2013 20:05, W. eWatson wrote:
I have a metal coupler about 3" in diameter with a shaft through it. The
coupler is at the end of the shaft of a motor, and is about 15 pounds.
The motor is parallel to the bench it is on. There are two Allen screws
that are separated by 135 degrees screwed into the coupler. I can not
get either of them out. I'm using a 1/8th inch Allen wrench and do not
want to break it.

I tried using penetration oil to dislodge the screws, but to know avail.
Any suggestions?

Can you find a straight, screwdriver-style allen?

I've had success with stubborn screws by simulating an impact
wrench--grab the handle and twist as hard as I can, and with
the torque still applied, smack the end of the screwdriver with a hammer.

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html