Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair window screens

A careless tenant made holes in the bottom middle of the window screen at the point where it attaches to a (nail) (screw) (whatever) in the window sill.
He did it at the bottom, then reversed the screen and did it at the top. (*(*&&^%$

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to the affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

Before I go to the trouble, does this August Body think it will work -- and if so, should I just use white glue, or what else?

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson writes:

A careless tenant made holes in the bottom middle of the window screen
at the point where it attaches to a (nail) (screw) (whatever) in the
window sill.
He did it at the bottom, then reversed the screen and did it at the top. (*(*&&^%$

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to the affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

Before I go to the trouble, does this August Body think it will work -- and if so, should I just use white glue, or what else?

Take screen to any local hardware store.
They'll replace the screen for you.

What's with the half-assed approach?
You can just cover the windows with plywood too.

Replacing screens isn't that hard for most DIY folks.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

A careless tenant made holes in the bottom middle of the window
screen
at the point where it attaches to a (nail) (screw) (whatever) in the
window sill.
He did it at the bottom, then reversed the screen and did it at the
top. (*(*&&^%$

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to
the affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

Before I go to the trouble, does this August Body think it will work
-- and if so, should I just use white glue, or what else?

Take screen to any local hardware store.
They'll replace the screen for you.

What's with the half-assed approach?
You can just cover the windows with plywood too.

Replacing screens isn't that hard for most DIY folks.

I agree -- the easiest is to take the screen to any local hardware store and
they'll replace the screen (in a few days).

Or, if the tears are small, try this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_318956-76018...air&facetInfo=

Or, get a screen repair kit like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Lin...7515/100192123 .

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

A careless tenant made holes in the bottom middle of the window screen at the
point where it attaches to a (nail) (screw) (whatever) in the window sill.
He did it at the bottom, then reversed the screen and did it at the top.
(*(*&&^%$

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to the
affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

Before I go to the trouble, does this August Body think it will work -- and
if so, should I just use white glue, or what else?

TIA

HB

Yes, just re-screen it.

The fabric & spine are cheap, as is the roller tool, which can be used
in the future.

Search YouTube... there are bunches of how to videos on the subject.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 10:55:17 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to the affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

shakes head

Find a handy man, become amorous with him and make him a pot roast.
Maybe invite him for a sleep over. Screen get fixed properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
A careless tenant made holes in the bottom middle of the window screen at the point where it attaches to a (nail) (screw) (whatever) in the window sill.
He did it at the bottom, then reversed the screen and did it at the top. (*(*&&^%$

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to the affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

Before I go to the trouble, does this August Body think it will work -- and if so, should I just use white glue, or what else?

TIA

HB

A careless tenant, I'm shocked...shocked I tell ya. Patch it or take
the screen off and store it till they move out then have it fixed and
put it back, or have it fixed now and put the bill on next month's rent
so he won't be so careless next time. The sooner they learn the less
it will cost you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:02:10 PM UTC-7, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

A careless tenant made holes in the bottom middle of the window screen at the point where it attaches to a (nail) (screw) (whatever) in the window sill.

He did it at the bottom, then reversed the screen and did it at the top. (*(*&&^%$

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to the affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

Before I go to the trouble, does this August Body think it will work -- and if so, should I just use white glue, or what else?

TIA

HB

A careless tenant, I'm shocked...shocked I tell ya. Patch it or take

the screen off and store it till they move out then have it fixed and

put it back, or have it fixed now and put the bill on next month's rent

so he won't be so careless next time. The sooner they learn the less

it will cost you.

They're gone, thank hevvins. Many problems, much bigger than a mere screen.

I used to have one of those screen tools around the garage somewhere but not worth tearing that junkyard apart to find it.

OK, will ask OSH price to rescreen and if too much, will try mickey mouse repair.

Hope white glue will work. Dunno what else???

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:07:00 PM UTC-7, TomR wrote:
Dan Espen wrote:

Higgs Boson writes:

[...]

Hey, Tom, just clicked on the above link. Worth inquiring about. Thanks!

HB

Or, get a screen repair kit like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Lin...7515/100192123 .

Nah...wouldn't use it enough. Thanks anyway.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to the affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

shakes head

Find a handy man, become amorous with him and make him a pot roast.

Maybe invite him for a sleep over. Screen get fixed properly.

SFX Indignation. I'll have you know my "overnight" charges are light-years higher than a mere pot roast!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:56:41 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

Hope white glue will work. Dunno what else???

Like they all said, it's trivially easy to replace screens:

Here's how I did it:
0. Buy a roll of screening & a roll of the rubber tubing
1. Buy the pizza cutter (and, if needed, plastic corners)
2. Remove old rubber tubing and old screen
3. Replace with new screen and new rubber tubing

Voila!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree, replacing the screen is trivial. A second person to hold the screen tight while you are rolling the edging into the groove ,akes it really easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:58:49 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:56:41 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

Hope white glue will work. Dunno what else???

Like they all said, it's trivially easy to replace screens:

Here's how I did it:

0. Buy a roll of screening & a roll of the rubber tubing

1. Buy the pizza cutter (and, if needed, plastic corners)

2. Remove old rubber tubing and old screen

3. Replace with new screen and new rubber tubing

Voila!

Shyte! I just priced rescreening a 3x5 aluminum screen. OSH wanted $30.00!!!
I thought it would be trivial, based on responses here. Regroup. Price above items. Consider price difference vs hassle. Cogitate. Maybe end up patching after all...

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2013 7:01 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:58:49 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:56:41 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

Hope white glue will work. Dunno what else???

Like they all said, it's trivially easy to replace screens:

Here's how I did it:

0. Buy a roll of screening & a roll of the rubber tubing

1. Buy the pizza cutter (and, if needed, plastic corners)

2. Remove old rubber tubing and old screen

3. Replace with new screen and new rubber tubing

Voila!

Shyte! I just priced rescreening a 3x5 aluminum screen. OSH wanted $30.00!!!
I thought it would be trivial, based on responses here. Regroup. Price above items. Consider price difference vs hassle. Cogitate. Maybe end up patching after all...

HB

It is a DYI job that you should learn. I can replace a screen quicker
than driving it off some place and then driving back to pick it up -
make that 2 screens.
Senior Member

Higgs Boson:

The reason for the $30 estimate is that they're doing all the work for you. Window companies WANT that kind of work. It's easy work that they effectively make $120 per hour doing cuz it only takes about 15 minutes to replace the screen since they have all the materials and equipment needed at hand.

If you had given them the dimensions of the screen and asked for the cost of materials to re-screen it, the cost for materials alone would have been closer to $5 tops.

If you own a rental property, this won't be the last time you have to replace a screen, so why not buy:

1. a window screen tool:
http://www.mostphotos.com/preview/17...epair-tool.jpg

2. a razor knife:
http://www.olfa.com/App_Content/Editor/Image/L-1.jpg

3. some FIBERGLASS screen material to cover your screen frame because fiberglass screen is much easier to cut with the razor knife than aluminum screen, and

4. the correct size of SPLINE for your particular screen. Spline costs half of nothing, but it does come in different sizes and styles, so you need to know what to buy for your screens.

Then, not only will you learn how to do this kind of work yourself, but you can pocket $30 out of the tenant's damage deposit for replacing the screen.

PS:
If you do end up patching it, I'd use fishing line to "sew" a new piece of screen over the holes in the old screen. That is, don't cut out part of the screen and glue a patch over it; sew a new piece of screen material to the old screen material over the hole. And, if a prospective tenant comments on how poorly done the repair is, tell them you hired a window company to do it, but they sent out a monkey and the monkey confided in you that he wasn't happy with the number of bananas he was getting to do that job.

Last edited by nestork : August 6th 13 at 01:26 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 5, 2013 7:59:21 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

My outdoor cat has a habit of letting us know that she wants to come inside by climbing the screen on our patio door and jumping down onto the deck. The "thump" gets our attention.

Many years ago, after she had ripped a couple of screens, I replaced the screen with some pet-proof screening from Home Depot. She's been climbing the screen, even getting her claws stuck in it a few times so that I have to use my hand to free her claws, and there is absolutely no indication of wear and tear. It's some pretty strong material.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-48...5888/202176176

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:51:47 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

She must be a slow learner! Needs her claws clipped. (So does mine, but he's so strong, I'm afraid to approach him.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson writes:

She must be a slow learner! Needs her claws clipped. (So does mine,
but he's so strong, I'm afraid to approach him.)

Cover the cat's head with a towel.
Doesn't work if you can't hold the cat at all,
but it does help if they can't see what's going on.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

She must be a slow learner! Needs her claws clipped. (So does mine,
but he's so strong, I'm afraid to approach him.)

Cover the cat's head with a towel.
Doesn't work if you can't hold the cat at all,
but it does help if they can't see what's going on.

I would never clip the claws of an outdoor cat. Think protection, be it
defending herself directly or simply climbing a tree to get away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 04:41:49 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

She must be a slow learner! Needs her claws clipped. (So does mine,
but he's so strong, I'm afraid to approach him.)

Cover the cat's head with a towel.
Doesn't work if you can't hold the cat at all,
but it does help if they can't see what's going on.

I would never clip the claws of an outdoor cat. Think protection, be it
defending herself directly or simply climbing a tree to get away.

Our old silver tiger,"buddy" was mostly an indoor cat, so his front
claws were sacrificed for the privilege of living with humans and
furniture - but he spent time outdoors as well - One day a very
unsociable yellow tom from down the street paid him a visit and they
got into a scrap. There was buddy, on his back, pedalling as if he was
trying to win the Tour de France - yellow fur flying in all directions
as he raked the belly of that old tom with his hind legs. There was a
lot of howling going on - and it was mostly from the yellow tom -
whether in pain, rage, or surprise at the beating he was taking.

A fw minutes later, after the yellow had left, Buddy came in -shaking
a little, but with not a mark on him.

Replacing window screens Metspitzer Home Repair 4 September 27th 10 11:33 PM
Basement Window Screens? Ron Hardin Home Repair 2 June 20th 09 02:04 AM
Window screens Jo Ann Home Repair 0 June 24th 06 08:23 PM
Window screens Jo Ann Home Repair 0 June 24th 06 08:22 PM
Window screens Eigenvector Home Repair 10 June 24th 06 07:08 PM