Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Window Screens?

Does anybody make basement window screens that you
can just substitute for the basement glass windows
that lift out?

Horizontal 14 9/16" x 30 3/4", that I had thought
were so standard that it would be easy to find
screens for summer. Just the lift the window out
and put the screen in, and the basement is dry for
the summer.

A search of Home Depot suggests that basement
technology has advanced well beyond my era.

Frames I made from 3/8" dowel have deteriorated
over a decade and it's time to replace them.
Something commercial would be nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:06:00 -0400, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Does anybody make basement window screens that you
can just substitute for the basement glass windows
that lift out?

-snip-
A search of Home Depot suggests that basement
technology has advanced well beyond my era.

Frames I made from 3/8" dowel have deteriorated
over a decade and it's time to replace them.
Something commercial would be nice.

At the other end of the HD or lowes store, in the hardware department,
they should have the materials to make your own aluminum framed
screens. You'll find them better and easier than those you made from
dowels.

Or you can ask a screen shop to make up a set.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:
Does anybody make basement window screens that you can just substitute
for the basement glass windows that lift out?

Horizontal 14 9/16" x 30 3/4", that I had thought were so standard
that it would be easy to find screens for summer. Just the lift the
window out and put the screen in, and the basement is dry for the summer.

A search of Home Depot suggests that basement technology has advanced
well beyond my era.

Frames I made from 3/8" dowel have deteriorated over a decade and it's
time to replace them. Something commercial would be nice.

I just put in vinyl replacement basement windows with screens. They are
less than $100 apiece. I removed the rotton wooden frames and attached
them right to the concrete with cement screws and Great Stuff then vinyl
caulk. Came out real nice.

At the low-buck end, every hardware store used to carry so-called
'universal' screens designed for double-hung windows. Not sure how high
they were, but they consisted of two overlapping screen panels that
expanded to any typical double-hung width. You could probably combine
them with a notched board to make the 14 9/16 height, if you can find
shorter ones.

I'd measure the heighth and width of the opening of the concrete edges
and the plate that goes over the window, and have any window company
make up press-fit screens with a soft gasket around the outside. A
couple metal tabs with screw holes to fasten to sill plate should hold
them in place. As to leaving them in place all summer- you never get
heavy rain coming in?

--
aem sends...

Need some tips for making window screens, please. [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 30th 06 04:50 AM
Window screens Jo Ann Home Repair 0 June 24th 06 08:23 PM
Window screens Jo Ann Home Repair 0 June 24th 06 08:22 PM
Window screens Eigenvector Home Repair 10 June 24th 06 07:08 PM