Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Default Window screens

For windows which do NOT have screens, can you purchase them? While I will
eventually replace the windows themselves, I'm not rolling in cash and need
to find a cheaper solution for the coming summer months. I'd like to open
my windows but currently can't since there isn't a screen to keep out the
buggies.

I don't see a channel for the screen to sit in, so that's why I'm wondering
if its possible or if there are alternatives I've not thought of

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Eigenvector wrote:
For windows which do NOT have screens, can you purchase them? While
I will eventually replace the windows themselves, I'm not rolling in
cash and need to find a cheaper solution for the coming summer
months. I'd like to open my windows but currently can't since there
isn't a screen to keep out the buggies.

I don't see a channel for the screen to sit in, so that's why I'm
wondering if its possible or if there are alternatives I've not
thought of

You likely can find some expansion type screens at the hardware store
that will work. They will not allow you to have the window open fully, but
they will work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Eigenvector wrote:

For windows which do NOT have screens, can you purchase them? While I
will eventually replace the windows themselves, I'm not rolling in cash
and need
to find a cheaper solution for the coming summer months. I'd like to open
my windows but currently can't since there isn't a screen to keep out the
buggies.

I don't see a channel for the screen to sit in, so that's why I'm
wondering if its possible or if there are alternatives I've not thought of

Four sticks of wood, a saw, some glue, four "hook and eye" fasteners, a roll
of screen, a stapler, and a little bit of effort will get you there. If
you are on a really tight budget and don't care how it looks you can
replace the wood, hooks, saw, and stapler with a roll of duct tape.

There are special hooks that go at the top of the screen that make them
easier to hang, here's what they look like
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3605/.f?sc=12&category=91,
and it's customary to use a miter joint at the corners held together with a
corrugated fastener. You can sandwich the screen wire between the frame
and a piece of molding to give a good seal.

You can also find kits to make aluminum framed screens at Home Depot and the
like.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
For windows which do NOT have screens, can you purchase them? While I
will eventually replace the windows themselves, I'm not rolling in cash
and need to find a cheaper solution for the coming summer months. I'd
like to open my windows but currently can't since there isn't a screen to
keep out the buggies.

I don't see a channel for the screen to sit in, so that's why I'm
wondering if its possible or if there are alternatives I've not thought of

By coincidence, I just saw a thread on another newsgroup. The OP bought
expandable screens to fit *inside* her regular screens. The purpose was to
keep her cats from pushing the permanent screens out, but it sounds like
they would also fit your purpose. She is very pleased with them and said it
only took 4 days to receive them. You can see them at this location:
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/9406372

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

[...]

Don't know about the big-boxes, but any traditional ma'n'pa hardware store
in the older (less air-conditioned) part of town will likely carry those,
right next to the jam-fit double 8" fans in the expandable panel. Poor man's
A/C. Back when I went to college, before all the split-up-house slum
apartments were torn down, they sold them in about every store.

(on a recent visit, whole blocks of old rentals like that had been replaced
with 6-plexes on double lots. guess modern students are richer and fussier
than we were, back in the day.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Eigenvector wrote:
For windows which do NOT have screens, can you purchase them? While
I will eventually replace the windows themselves, I'm not rolling in
cash and need to find a cheaper solution for the coming summer
months. I'd like to open my windows but currently can't since there
isn't a screen to keep out the buggies.

I don't see a channel for the screen to sit in, so that's why I'm
wondering if its possible or if there are alternatives I've not
thought of

You likely can find some expansion type screens at the hardware store
that will work. They will not allow you to have the window open fully,
but they will work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Could you give me a keyword to search on. Searching for `window screen` or
`expansion screen + window` returns absolutely nothing except computer
stuff.

I did try looking for something similar at the Home Despot or Lowe's but
didn't return anything.

Are you talking about something that clips to the window and the window
frame and rolls and unrolls up as you move the window back and forth?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Mary L has a link to what I was thinking of.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

[...]

This is what I would buy. I think they have them at Lowes and HD. Just
because they aren't on the web site does not mean they aren't stocked in the
store. For sure they are for sale in a hardware store near you.

The price at the site above seems high to me but the convience may be worth
the cost.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
I Love Lucy

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

That's what I'd do since he is eventually getting better ones. I'd just
get some screen, cut it and duct tape it in.

There also may be a recycle center near you where you can pick up
something dirt cheap. You might have to ask around because people don't
know they exist.

I have a whole basement full of my old wooden screens I've just hung
onto after I got vinyl ones. Maybe you can find some old ones and modify
them quickly.

When you do go to get better screens, don't make my mistake. I got some
that are sturdy enough, but they are a total pain to try to slide around
to clean your windows. After a few years, they start breaking and don't
slide very smoothly. Maybe WD40 will help with some of that, but the
catches get stuck, break, etc. There must be some that are designed
where you can pop everything out without putting too much strain on them
and get all your glass cleaned right. Sometimes in the long run you are
better off paying more. I just got the ones my contractor was using and
it was a big mistake not to ask more questions and shop around myself
more than I did.

I had one replacement glass storm window made because the plastic frame
came apart at the corners and could not be made secure again, so I had
to have a new one made. Just one single largish pane cost $45 to remake
with white coated aluminum and glass and I was probably lucky it didn't
cost more.

There are special hooks that go at the top of the screen that make
them
easier to hang, here's what they look like
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3605/.f?sc=12&category=91,
and it's customary to use a miter joint at the corners held together
with a
corrugated fastener. You can sandwich the screen wire between the
frame
and a piece of molding to give a good seal.

You can also find kits to make aluminum framed screens at Home Depot
and the
like.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Well I'm not so sure how soon, soon is, but I have two major projects to
fund and the windows are/is one of them. The fuse box is the other. So I'm
trying to balance getting an actual grounded fusebox vs. windows that don't
leak like a sieve. I just can't see using duct tape, althought I can always
fall back on eyehooks or tack strips like was mentioned.

Meehan and Lucy, I'll check for it locally and see if that will work for me.
The link that was provided didn't really clarify what it was, but it's not
like this is some rush job that has to get done so I can certainly mosey
over to the hardware store and look.

snip

Posted to alt.home.repair
I Love Lucy

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

Meehan and Lucy, I'll check for it locally and see if that will work
for me. The link that was provided didn't really clarify what it was,
but it's not like this is some rush job that has to get done so I can
certainly mosey over to the hardware store and look.

http://www.connscreen.com/Do%20It%20...%20Screens.htm

These aren't the kind I remember. The older ones consisted of two parts
in wood frames that expanded and contracted to fit the opening and were
about a foot or so tall, maybe 18 in which doesn't let a whole lot of
fresh air in but better than a shut window. I would think you might be
able to find some at a goodwill store; they probably have them at
hardware stores.

The ones at the link are kind of pricey for a temp fix imo.

snip

Storm window as main shed window? Dave K. Home Repair 3 July 25th 18 10:44 PM
New window in shower - use Corian? [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 8th 06 11:45 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage over a roll type in a one window bathroom? Bob Valor Home Repair 5 July 14th 05 07:05 AM
question: totally black window screens Ted Jackson Home Ownership 2 April 18th 04 06:52 AM