Posted to alt.home.repair
I Love Lucy

Default Window screens

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

For windows which do NOT have screens, can you purchase them? While
will eventually replace the windows themselves, I'm not rolling in
cash
and need
to find a cheaper solution for the coming summer months. I'd like to
open
my windows but currently can't since there isn't a screen to keep out
the
buggies.

I don't see a channel for the screen to sit in, so that's why I'm
wondering if its possible or if there are alternatives I've not
thought of

Four sticks of wood, a saw, some glue, four "hook and eye" fasteners,
a roll
of screen, a stapler, and a little bit of effort will get you there.
If
you are on a really tight budget and don't care how it looks you can
replace the wood, hooks, saw, and stapler with a roll of duct tape.

That's what I'd do since he is eventually getting better ones. I'd just
get some screen, cut it and duct tape it in.

There also may be a recycle center near you where you can pick up
something dirt cheap. You might have to ask around because people don't
know they exist.

I have a whole basement full of my old wooden screens I've just hung
onto after I got vinyl ones. Maybe you can find some old ones and modify
them quickly.

When you do go to get better screens, don't make my mistake. I got some
that are sturdy enough, but they are a total pain to try to slide around
to clean your windows. After a few years, they start breaking and don't
slide very smoothly. Maybe WD40 will help with some of that, but the
catches get stuck, break, etc. There must be some that are designed
where you can pop everything out without putting too much strain on them
and get all your glass cleaned right. Sometimes in the long run you are
better off paying more. I just got the ones my contractor was using and
it was a big mistake not to ask more questions and shop around myself
more than I did.

I had one replacement glass storm window made because the plastic frame
came apart at the corners and could not be made secure again, so I had
to have a new one made. Just one single largish pane cost $45 to remake
with white coated aluminum and glass and I was probably lucky it didn't
cost more.

There are special hooks that go at the top of the screen that make
them
easier to hang, here's what they look like
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3605/.f?sc=12&category=91,
and it's customary to use a miter joint at the corners held together
with a
corrugated fastener. You can sandwich the screen wire between the
frame
and a piece of molding to give a good seal.

You can also find kits to make aluminum framed screens at Home Depot
and the
like.

--
--John