Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tree roots and my basement

hi
first sorry if this topic is not related to this group but I am hoping I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledgeable.

I have these trees which are 3-4 meters away from my house foundation. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is 80 years old.

Do you have any idea what is the name of these trees and how big it can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vuihpj/5

http://tinypic.com/r/bf4zl4/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2z820zn/5

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

I have these trees which are 3-4 meters away from my house
foundation. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are
getting really big. It scares me that these tree will get
even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit
the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house
is 80 years old.

Not to be rude, but you've got to be kidding.

Take a look at how much space there is for that tree (looks more like a
cluster of trees) has to grow. You're going to have problems with the
driveway and paving blocks right next to those trees long before you're
going to have a problem with the roots hitting your foundation.

Honestly - if you want a tree in that location, a SINGLE tree, then do
it right and cut down the other trunks that have formed and keep only
the trunk that's in the best condition. The leaves look like they're
under stress as it is.

Do you have any idea what is the name of these trees and how

Take a better picture of a few leaves. It's probably an aspen or
cotton-wood of some type. They will sprout multiple trunks very close
together as in your picture, and they do grow fast.

big it can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are
just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees.
Thanks a lot.

Your primary concern should be the value of having a tree in that
location. Trees in general are good to have around a home - they add
value, provide shade, etc. You should be more concerned that you have
the RIGHT tree for that location, and that you are doing everything you
can to keep it healthy.

I think that people are overly paranoid about trees and their home's
foundation. If you have working gutters and you keep water from pooling
around your home then that area will be dry and the roots will not grow
where there is no water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 8:49*pm, leza wang wrote:
hi
first sorry if this topic is not related to this group but I am hoping I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledgeable.

I have these trees which are 3-4 meters away from my house foundation. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is 80 years old.

Do you have any idea what is the name of these trees and how big it can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vuihpj/5

http://tinypic.com/r/bf4zl4/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2z820zn/5

What Home Guy said. Also, it would help to know where you are located,
what state, northern or southern part of the state, etc. Those trees
don't look very big, medium is 1 foot diameter, big is 19 inch
diameter or bigger. If those wispy looking things get to 1 foot
diameter, it will be a miracle because they will have torn up the
walkway/driveway/whatever it is next to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
hi
first sorry if this topic is not related to this group but I am hoping I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledgeable.

I have these trees which are 3-4 meters away from my house foundation. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is 80 years old.

Do you have any idea what is the name of these trees and how big it can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vuihpj/5

http://tinypic.com/r/bf4zl4/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2z820zn/5

Hmm,
I am just shaking my head. Whoever planted the tree(s) did not know
anything about selecting trees or shrubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 11:05*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
leza wang wrote:
[...]

the roots are typically twice the size of the drip edge....

I LOVE trees But anyone planting them close to their home needs to
consider what can happen in a storm, the tree could fall on the home

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:54:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

thanks a lot for all your replies guys. I did not plan them myself. They were planted by previous owner 3-4 years go and when i came they were 3-5 feet tall, but now they are 10-15 feet tall. I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks once again
Senior Member

Leza:

From what I can see, the roots of that tree may have already discovered your foundation. But, they may not do it any harm.

Here's what most people imagine a tree to be like:

They imagine the root system below ground to be similar in depth and areal extent to the branch system above ground, and that's not true.

Here's a more realistic and conservative idea of what happens underground:

The roots extend out to a diameter of 2 to 4 times as far as the branches do, and 99 percent of the root system is less than 24 inches underground with virtually all of the roots within 3 feet of the surface. It's a conservative depiction because the root diameter could extend twice what it's depicted to be for the size of the tree's crown.

The reason for the misconception about trees is that people think the job of the root system is to collect moisture for the tree, and in order for the tree to survive a drought, the roots would have to go deep into the ground where it'd still be wet, even in a drought. The root system is extensive and shallow because the roots primary job is actually to collect nutrients the tree needs to grow. And, the kind of nutrients a tree needs are those that result of AEROBIC decomosition of organic matter. Basically the tree wants to eat good quality compost. And, it's only the top 24 inches of ground that has enough oxygen in it for aerobic decomposition to occur. Anything more than 3 feet down, and there's not enough air in the ground for aerobic decomposition, so any decomposition that takes place down there is anaerobic decomposition, and trees don't like that kind of food.

So, in your photo, if the tree branch diameter is about a meter (I'd say), it's reasonable to assume that the root diameter is 2 to 4 meters, so if your house is 3 to 4 meters away, the roots from that tree are anywhere from half way to your foundation to all the way there by now.

I'm not an arborist, so I don't know if or how the road or sidewalks around that tree would affect it's growth or the growth of it's roots.

I would phone up your city and ask if they have an arborist on staff, and see what he/she says about the root system and your foundation. If you simply cut a thin trench around your house 24 inches deep, slide in some stainless steel sheet metal and that trench in again, you should stop any further root growth in the direction of your house. Hopefully your city's arborist(s) will have a better game plan that's be easier or less expensive. If your city doesn't have an arborist on staff, then your provincial or state government certainly should.

Last edited by nestork : May 26th 13 at 05:20 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
[...]

Not that those twigs would do much damage - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 11:46*pm, nestork wrote:
Leza:

From what I can see, the roots of that tree may have already discovered
your foundation. *But, they may not do it any harm.

Here's what most people imagine a tree to be like:

[image:http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implemen...ing_fig1a.gif]

[image:http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implemen...ing_fig1b.gif]

The roots extend out to a diameter of 2 to 4 times as far as the
branches do, and 99 percent of the root system is less than 24 inches
underground with virtually all of the roots within 3 feet of the
surface. *It's a conservative depiction because the root diameter could
extend twice what it's depicted to be for the size of the tree's crown.

The reason for the misconception about trees is that people think the
job of the root system is so collect moisture for the tree, and in order
for the tree to survive a drought, the roots would *have to go deep into
the ground. *The root system is extensive and shallow because the roots
primary job is to collect nutrients the tree needs to grow. *And, the
kind of nutrients a tree needs are the result of AEROBIC decomosition of
organic matter. *Basically the tree wants to eat good quality compost.
And, it's only the top 24 inches of ground that has enough oxygen in it
for aerobic decomposition to occur. *Anything more than 3 feet down, and
there's not enough air in the ground for aerobic decomposition, so any
decomposition that takes place is anaerobic decomposition, and trees
don't like that kind of food.

So, in your photo, if the tree branch diameter is about a meter (I'd
say), it's reasonable to assume that the root diameter is 2 to 4 meters,
so if your house is 3 to 4 meters away, the roots from that tree are
anywhere from half way to your foundation to all the way there by now.

I doubt the tree roots from that tree are anywhere near the house
foundation or a threat to it. People have trees that size a hell of a
lot
close than that to countless houses without any problems. And if you
removed them, houses wouldn't have any trees left near them.

Also, we don't know what the actual house looks like, but the houses
across the street don't look like they are anywhere near 80 years
old.....

--
nestork

If you're paranoid. I would just leave it be and stop worrying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:

The reason for the misconception about trees is that people think
the job of the root system is so collect moisture for the tree

No.

Unfortunately (for trees), most people think the job of the root system
is to seek out and destroy their home's foundation.

So, in your photo, if the tree branch diameter is about a meter
(I'd say), it's reasonable to assume that the root diameter is
2 to 4 meters,

You mean tree canopy.

If those are cottonwoods, then they've sprouted in that location from a
root coming from a big mature cottomwood somewhere nearby - even 50 ft
away. Those don't look to be planted by a previous home owner - who
would plant a tree there anyways? This is Toronto we're talking about,
and snow clearing activities would render that location a pretty
dangerous and stupid place to plant anything of value. Those trees
sprouted during a stretch of a few years where winter snowfall was
light.

But regarding the root/foundation thing - if your foundation is of the
type where it can be affected by roots - because of the type of
construction, materials used, age, quality of material, etc, then your
foundation is just as vulnerable to water penetration due to normal
hydrological processes as it is.

A typical 6" poured concrete foundation wall will not be bothered by a
tree root. An 80-year-old cinder-block wall is likely to fail over time
and leak regardless of the presence of roots.

Where people get the idea that roots have hardened drill points on them
that can bore into hard concrete, I have no idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2013 9:49 PM, leza wang wrote:
hi
first sorry if this topic is not related to this group but I am hoping I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledgeable.

I have these trees which are 3-4 meters away from my house foundation. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is 80 years old.

Do you have any idea what is the name of these trees and how big it can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vuihpj/5

http://tinypic.com/r/bf4zl4/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2z820zn/5

The leaves in the last photo, at the base of the trunk, look like elm.
Photos are too contrasty and unclear to get an idea. Look up your local
or county extension service and send better pix to them. The present
arrangement is poor, for the trees and for the drive/pavers.

The space is better suited for border plants, like hosta, or just some
annual flowers. IF you must have trees there, an important
consideration is the type and condition of your foundation, but, as
others have said, it is a crazy place to plant a large plant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 May 2013 22:15:04 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Take a look at how much space there is for that tree
(looks more like a cluster of trees) has to grow.

As an future prediction, notice this picture I took earlier
this week when I was helping a friend with her plumbing, and
I stopped to watch the workmen cut down a tree whose roots
had lifted the sidewalk nearby.

This was a mulberry tree:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 15:33:44 +0000, Danny D wrote:

As an future prediction

Whoops....
As "a" future prediction ...

Anyway, here's another picture of what (Mulberry) roots
can do under a sidewalk ... given ... oh ... dunno ...
maybe a quarter of a century based on my rough count of
the tree rings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 15:33:44 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

I stopped to watch the workmen cut down a tree whose roots
had lifted the sidewalk nearby.

This was a mulberry tree:

Any ripe berries? (don't forget the basket)

I thought the OP's tree bark looked like some variety of Ash. Hard to
tell, I won't guess.

Is it and Aspen tree?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 10:46:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

Is it and Aspen tree?

Actually, it's not at my house (it's at a friend's house
where I fixed the plumbing). She was wondering what took me
so long when I went to get the snake, and I told here there
was a lot of traffic - but - in reality - I was watching the
guys cut down the tree.

I "think" it was a mulberry (based on the leaves); but I
didn't think to ask them as they had already answered all
my questions of what they were doing and why (they asked
why I was taking pictures).

They didn't know I was snapping the pics for you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 10:05:06 AM UTC-4, NorMinn wrote:
[...]

thanks for your reply. i took more pictures. i live in toronto, ontario. i just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see these links below and thanks a lot once again.

http://tinypic.com/r/wukxds/5

http://tinypic.com/r/263kizb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/169lpmx/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2w7fiiq/5

http://tinypic.com/r/33os13n/5

http://tinypic.com/r/30js7mf/5
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

thanks for your reply. i took more pictures. i live in toronto,
ontario. i just want to know how big these trees can go..

Leza -

Were there any flowers on those trees in the spring? If so, can you
describe them?

Did you ever see any sort of nuts or berries on them in the fall?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2013 10:05 AM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

Well, it is still hard to tell....here is a link to id'ing Ontario
trees....perhaps you can find your trees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 10:05*am, leza wang wrote:
[...]

http://tinypic.com/r/30js7mf/5- Hide quoted text -

The more I see, the more I agree with the other posters
that said a tree doesn't even belong there. And I agree
with the poster that said the tree probably wasn't planted,
it's just a volunteer and a pretty ugly one at that. If it
were me, I'd get rid of it and put something more appropriate
in the area. I also wouldn't worry about it getting to the
foundation. It could over time push up the pavers and/or
crack the driveway or whatever that is next to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
Leza:

From what I can see, the roots of that tree may have already
discovered your foundation. But, they may not do it any harm.

[...]

deep into the ground. The root system is extensive and shallow
[...]

Interesting description of how tree roots typically grow and why they grow
in the way that they do. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/27/2013 9:05 AM, leza wang wrote:

thanks for your reply. i took more pictures. i live in toronto,
ontario. i just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see
these links below and thanks a lot once again.

As another said, looks very much like could be a variety of elm -- just
how big they can get depends on what the local conditions are and the
actual variety. Elms in general tend to be large trees altho there are
some that are less large ( ) than others. An American (white) elm
that is a native species hardy to your region if doesn't succumb to
Dutch elm disease can grow to 130-140 ft in height and crown spread of
60-ft or more. So, if that's what they are, they could get large,
indeed. (American elm are known to live 200+ yr in good environments so
80 is just a young adult age for one of them.)

As another has also said, in slightly different words, take a few leaves
or small twig w/ some leaves on it to a local arborist or good nursery
and ask them to identify it for you. In the US there are what are known
as "County Agents" that are available to residential folks as well as
farm; I'm certain Canada will have something similar but I've no klew as
to what their offices will be called...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 27, 2013 10:29:19 AM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:
leza wang wrote:

thanks for your reply. i took more pictures. i live in toronto,

ontario. i just want to know how big these trees can go..

Leza -

Were there any flowers on those trees in the spring? If so, can you

describe them?

Did you ever see any sort of nuts or berries on them in the fall?

no flower, nuts etc, just leafs. 3-2 years ago they were 3-5 feet tall now they are doubled. i did cut most of them to half. i do not want them to grow up high and quick. thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

Did you ever see any sort of nuts or berries on them in the fall?

no flower, nuts etc, just leafs.

Do the leaves turn yellow and fall off in the winter, or do the leaves
stay green all year - even in winter?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/27/2013 11:16 AM, Home Guy wrote:
leza wang wrote:

Did you ever see any sort of nuts or berries on them in the fall?

no flower, nuts etc, just leafs.

Do the leaves turn yellow and fall off in the winter, or do the leaves
stay green all year - even in winter?

It's clearly deciduous...and I think likely a variety of elm from the
leaf shape/veining pattern but I can't tell which specifically from the
pic's...(and that may also be wrong but my best guess).

I say if OP really wants to know to take a sample to an arborist or
nursery or whatever their county agent equivalent is.

But, irregardless, it really should come out 'cuz it's inappropriate in
the location so it really doesn't matter what it is...

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guy View Post
leza wang wrote:

Did you ever see any sort of nuts or berries on them in the fall?

no flower, nuts etc, just leafs.

Do the leaves turn yellow and fall off in the winter, or do the leaves
stay green all year - even in winter?
Elm tree leaves turn yellow in autumnl and fall off in winter. I have several large elm trees not more than 20 feet from my building's foundation, and the only problem I've ever had is that about 10 years ago, the roots from one of those trees discovered my building's 6 inch main drain line, so I had to call a plumber to snake out that line to cut the roots. I was re-imbursed by the city, so I'm not out of pocket anything. However, I have a poured concrete foundation rather than a more susceptible stone foundation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 11:19:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

I say if OP really wants to know to take a sample to an arborist or
nursery or whatever their county agent equivalent is.

.... and even ask a neighbor that may have the same type of tree.

But, irregardless, it really should come out 'cuz it's inappropriate in
the location so it really doesn't matter what it is...

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 27, 2013 12:50:06 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
Home Guy;3069204 Wrote:

leza wang wrote:

--

Did you ever see any sort of nuts or berries on them in the fall?-

no flower, nuts etc, just leafs.-

Do the leaves turn yellow and fall off in the winter, or do the leaves

stay green all year - even in winter?

Elm tree leaves turn yellow in autumnl and fall off in winter. I have

several large elm trees not more than 20 feet from my building's

foundation, and the only problem I've ever had is that about 10 years

ago, the roots from one of those trees discovered my building's 6 inch

main drain line, so I had to call a plumber to snake out that line to

cut the roots. I was re-imbursed by the city, so I'm not out of pocket

anything. However, I have a poured concrete foundation rather than a

more susceptible stone foundation.

--

nestork

thanks nestork, yes they turn yellow and the trees stay without leafs during winter. my house is 90+ years old. i am sure the foundation is also stone.. is it possible to pure concrete foundation as you did? does that mean they dick around the house and then pure concrete? i would love to do that if it is not expensive because that would solve my water leaking problem. thanks a lot once again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 11:26:39 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

does that mean they dick around the house and then pure concrete?
i would love to do that if it is not expensive because that would solve my water leaking problem.

Ouch
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leza wang View Post
is it possible to pure concrete foundation as you did? does that mean they dick around the house and then pure concrete? i would love to do that if it is not expensive because that would solve my water leaking problem. thanks a lot once again.
No, Leza. Normally, they pour the concrete foundation before they build the house on top of it.

If you have a stone foundation, then the only thing that would be feasible would be to buy land near your house, excavate a basement and pour a concrete foundation for your existing house, and then move your house off it's stone foundation and onto the concrete foundation. That whole process would be very expensive. It would probably cost less to sell your existing house and buy a newer one further from downtown that was built on a concrete foundation.

Last edited by nestork : May 27th 13 at 11:14 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 27, 2013 10:40:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Ok thanks a lot for your reply guys. ok i am willing to cut them all and plant other tress (for privacy/ enforce my land's boarder), what would be the best choice? i am thinking of Rose of Sharon tree. Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 7:23*pm, leza wang wrote:
[...]

Ok thanks a lot for your reply guys. ok i am willing to cut them all and plant other tress (for privacy/ enforce my land's boarder), what would be the best choice? i am thinking of Rose of Sharon tree. Thanks a lot.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know, but one major factor is that if you cut what's
there, it doesn't get rid of the roots. And extracting the roots
from that small space between the driveway/street and the
sidewalk so that you can plant something else is going to be one hell
of a project. I guess taking out a few pavers
temporarily if that's what's there would be a big help.

Killing Tree Roots [email protected] Home Repair 9 March 9th 08 01:49 AM
tree roots news Home Repair 4 April 29th 07 09:20 PM
Want to See What Tree Roots Are Doing to Foundation Mike Home Repair 5 April 19th 06 02:58 AM
Tree Roots from neighbor's tree causing sewer problem Keller, TX??? mscraven Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 12:06 AM
Tree roots ~~Phil~~ Home Repair 2 August 29th 05 07:46 PM