Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Want to See What Tree Roots Are Doing to Foundation

I've got a cherry tree growing about six feet from the foundation of my
house.
Some days moisture appears in the corner of the floor of the basement.
(The basement wall
is covered with paneling.) Is there an xray or something I can use to see
how close the roots
are to the foundation or to see if they're going into the foundaTRation?

Thanbks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roots are more or less as big as the tree. I'd not guess the roots are
a problem, I'd look at drainage of gutters and the slope of the ground
away from the house (or toward the house which would be bad) before
suspecting the tree. Might want to pull off the paneling and look for
cracks. Also mold.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Roots are more or less as big as the tree. I'd not guess the roots are
a problem, I'd look at drainage of gutters and the slope of the ground
away from the house (or toward the house which would be bad) before
suspecting the tree. Might want to pull off the paneling and look for
cracks. Also mold.

I'm really reluctant to pull off the paneling. Six months ago, I had the
roof reshingled and new gutters and down spouts installed. Guess I'll
pull off the paneling.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

You know you have a leak. Why take off the panelling?

I'd suggest you look from the outside for any signs of hairline cracks
in the foundation in the area. They can be larger underground.

Then you can dig down to the weeping tile and fix it properly from the
outside.

You can check out / cut the roots at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I dought they are doing any harm.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Good point. What's weeping tile?\
Didn't see any hairline cracks, but you make a good point.

Mike

"Hogwild" wrote in message
You know you have a leak. Why take off the panelling?

I'd suggest you look from the outside for any signs of hairline cracks
in the foundation in the area. They can be larger underground.

Then you can dig down to the weeping tile and fix it properly from the
outside.

You can check out / cut the roots at the same time.

Black Walnut Question tdstr Woodworking 19 April 12th 06 08:42 PM
Tree Roots from neighbor's tree causing sewer problem Keller, TX??? mscraven Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 12:06 AM
Foundation repair Dan_Musicant Home Repair 4 September 5th 05 03:28 AM
Tree roots ~~Phil~~ Home Repair 2 August 29th 05 07:46 PM
how to kill tree roots near trench bill a Home Repair 17 April 12th 05 10:15 PM