~~Phil~~

Default Tree roots

Hi:

I have a rather large tree in my yard. About 40-50 feet tall
and around 15+ years old. Don't know what type, but it has
been referred to as a scrap tree. Best thing about it is it provides
shade over half the house.

The problem is each year the roots are more above the ground
and they have growths sprouting from them. These get cut every
time I cut the grass, but what is left is very painful to walk on.
Like a clump of toothpicks.

If I had the tree removed what would happen to the roots spread
out all over the yard? I imagine they'd eventually rot away, but would
that take 1year, or are we talking five+ years.
I can't afford to have the whole yard bulldozed & re-sodded...

~~Phil~~

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
SQLit

"~~Phil~~" wrote in message
Hi:

I have a rather large tree in my yard. About 40-50 feet tall
and around 15+ years old. Don't know what type, but it has
been referred to as a scrap tree. Best thing about it is it provides
shade over half the house.

The problem is each year the roots are more above the ground
and they have growths sprouting from them. These get cut every
time I cut the grass, but what is left is very painful to walk on.
Like a clump of toothpicks.

If I had the tree removed what would happen to the roots spread
out all over the yard? I imagine they'd eventually rot away, but would
that take 1year, or are we talking five+ years.
I can't afford to have the whole yard bulldozed & re-sodded...

~~Phil~~

Rotting would depend on a lot of things. If your in a arid area it might be
closer to 10 or 20 years.
I had to cut down a tree with a 36 inch trunk, it was dieing any way. The
stump that was left was still really solid after 5 years. Closer to 7 years
I could began breaking out the root pieces.

Trees usually get aggressive when they want water. Watering the tree might
solve the problem.

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
how to kill tree roots near trench bill a Home Repair 17 April 12th 05 10:15 PM
repairing a tree with hole in it Danny Home Repair 8 October 10th 04 02:01 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM