Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tree roots and my basement

On May 27, 7:23*pm, leza wang wrote:
On Monday, May 27, 2013 10:40:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On May 27, 10:05*am, leza wang wrote:

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 10:05:06 AM UTC-4, NorMinn wrote:

On 5/25/2013 9:49 PM, leza wang wrote:

hi

first sorry if this topic is not related to this group but I am hoping I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledgeable.

I have these trees which are 3-4 meters away from my house foundation. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is 80 years old.

Do you have any idea what is the name of these trees and how big it can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vuihpj/5

http://tinypic.com/r/bf4zl4/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2z820zn/5

The leaves in the last photo, at the base of the trunk, look like elm.

Photos are too contrasty and unclear to get an idea. *Look up your local

or county extension service and send better pix to them. *The present

arrangement is poor, for the trees and for the drive/pavers.

The space is better suited for border plants, like hosta, or just some

annual flowers. *IF you must have trees there, an important

consideration is the type and condition of your foundation, but, as

others have said, it is a crazy place to plant a large plant.

thanks for your reply. i took more pictures. i live in toronto, ontario. i just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see these links below and thanks a lot once again.

http://tinypic.com/r/wukxds/5

http://tinypic.com/r/263kizb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/169lpmx/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2w7fiiq/5

http://tinypic.com/r/33os13n/5

http://tinypic.com/r/30js7mf/5-Hide quoted text -

The more I see, the more I agree with the other posters

that said a tree doesn't even belong there. *And I agree

with the poster that said the tree probably wasn't planted,

it's just a volunteer and a pretty ugly one at that. *If it

were me, I'd get rid of it and put something more appropriate

in the area. *I also wouldn't worry about it getting to the

foundation. * It could over time push up the pavers and/or

crack the driveway or whatever that is next to it.

Ok thanks a lot for your reply guys. ok i am willing to cut them all and plant other tress (for privacy/ enforce my land's boarder), what would be the best choice? i am thinking of Rose of Sharon tree. Thanks a lot.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know, but one major factor is that if you cut what's
there, it doesn't get rid of the roots. And extracting the roots
from that small space between the driveway/street and the
sidewalk so that you can plant something else is going to be one hell
of a project. I guess taking out a few pavers
temporarily if that's what's there would be a big help.