Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blending a new partition wall

I have two inside walls meeting in an outside corner. Both have drywall
with heavy orange peel. I want to extend one of them a bit with a partition
wall. I want the side of the partition wall to blend seamlessly with the
wall it is extending. I can think of two ways...

1. Remove the corner metal where the partition wall will join and clean off
extraneous drywall compound. When new wall is built and has drywall, tape
the joint.

2. Remove the corner metal where the partition wall will join and cut out
part of the existing wall back to a stud. Use one piece of drywall to cover
cut out section and new partition, tape joint. Two joints, actually, as
there would be a horizontal one where the top of the cut out piece was.

Either way, I'd also have to texture and paint, obviously.

Which way would you suggest and have you a better way? Leave the corner
metal alone?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 11:57*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Isn't there a stud behind the corner, It would be unusual to have an
oiutside corner without a stud located at that point?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2013 12:57:22 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

I'd pull the metal corner bead, screws / nails, etc. If not, you might
likely see a seam later. The metal generally has a thicker compound
and blended into the wall further out.

"existing wall back to a stud."

There should be a stud there if this is a wall end with corner bead.

Pull the bead off and drywall end piece (4" wide) back to the stud.
You can add a 2 X jack stud on the side for better fastening of the
new drywall.

Pictures?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2013 10:19:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Isn't there a stud behind the corner, It would be unusual to have an
oiutside corner without a stud located at that point?

.... of course, the way to attach the outside coner bead
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On May 2, 11:57 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

Block walls. There is a nailer but smaller than a 2x4. NP for me.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sure. Here are a couple of Sketchup screenshots.

This one is the subject of my post...
www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/the_corner.jpg

This one shows it a couple of different ways but is smaller because it shows
all of what I'm messing with...
www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/whole_thing.jpg

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2013 17:01:29 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Pictures?

Sure. Here are a couple of Sketchup screenshots.

This one is the subject of my post...
www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/the_corner.jpg

Wow, I thought the partition was taller / longer.

My thoughts:

- build the partition of size

- lag bolt (3) in the side of the wall

- liquid nails adhesive under the foot plate of the partition or lags
& anchors

- the corner bead will not have to be removed, but cut at the proper
height (cosmetic)

- trim down the side of the corner bead - utility knife, cut the tape

- when the metal is removed it will not tear finish texture close by.

Nice pictures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Pictures?

Sure. Here are a couple of Sketchup screenshots.

This one is the subject of my post...
www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/the_corner.jpg

Wow, I thought the partition was taller / longer.

My thoughts:

- build the partition of size

- lag bolt (3) in the side of the wall

- liquid nails adhesive under the foot plate of the partition or lags
& anchors

- the corner bead will not have to be removed, but cut at the proper
height (cosmetic)

- trim down the side of the corner bead - utility knife, cut the tape

- when the metal is removed it will not tear finish texture close by.

Nice pictures.

Thanks, Oren, that is pretty much what I was thinking.

--

dadiOH

Partition/supporting wall ss UK diy 5 February 13th 13 03:37 PM
building a partition wall ss UK diy 14 February 24th 12 11:33 AM
partition wall question SS[_2_] UK diy 8 October 17th 11 10:22 PM
Partition Wall HappyHunter[_2_] UK diy 12 February 1st 10 06:56 PM
plywood for partition wall sm_jamieson UK diy 9 June 14th 06 08:13 PM