Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default partition wall question

When building a partition wall must it be fixed directly to the joists or
can it be fixed to the joists through the plasterboard ceiling?
thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2011 18:04, SS wrote:
When building a partition wall must it be fixed directly to the joists or
can it be fixed to the joists through the plasterboard ceiling?
thanks

I've always fixed through the plasterboard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:

When building a partition wall must it be fixed directly to the joists or
can it be fixed to the joists through the plasterboard ceiling?
thanks

Unless the new stud wall is becoming structural for some other reason (we
removing another nearby wall) then it makes no difference.

When I made the framing for a new airing cupboard, I fixed the top 4x2 with
screws to the ceiling through to the joists but with the plasterboard in
between.

Same for the floor member. Then the uprights were trimmed to be a tight fit
and screwed in place.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
SS wrote:

When building a partition wall must it be fixed directly to the joists or
can it be fixed to the joists through the plasterboard ceiling?
thanks

Unless the new stud wall is becoming structural for some other reason (we
removing another nearby wall) then it makes no difference.

When I made the framing for a new airing cupboard, I fixed the top 4x2
with
screws to the ceiling through to the joists but with the plasterboard in
between.

Same for the floor member. Then the uprights were trimmed to be a tight
fit
and screwed in place.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Thanks for the replies.
The wall will be non load bearing, other than maybe a shelf attached. It
will be built in a bedroom that is 24 feet long so making one end a walk in
wardrobe, hence the partition wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 7:29*pm, "SS" wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message

SS wrote:

[...]

No need to disturb the floorboards or the plaster ceiling. Or even the
carpet - though some dont like doing that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/11 19:29, SS wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
SS wrote:

[...]

i think by 'loadbearing'
they meant is it holding up the ceiling and rooms above it,
like if you'd removed a brick wall.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
On 17/10/11 19:29, SS wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
SS wrote:

[...]

Thanks George I was aware, just thought to put the shelf bit in in case
someone had an idea to put extra `noggins` in to support it as I believe
this would be the case if say a sink was being attached to the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2011 18:04, SS wrote:
When building a partition wall must it be fixed directly to the joists or
can it be fixed to the joists through the plasterboard ceiling?

Through plasterboard / floorboards is fine...

It does not require a huge amount of fixing either - a nail every two or
three joists is usually more than adequate.

(handy tip: when building the wall, only partially knock in the nails to
fix the top and bottom rails in place - and only fit a couple to begin
with. That way if you need to tweak the plum or position of the wall (to
get your room corner square for example), you can just pull the nail a
bit to free it, and then nudge the whole wall over with a larger hammer
before sticking the pin back in place!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:

i think by 'loadbearing'
they meant is it holding up the ceiling and rooms above it,
like if you'd removed a brick wall.

[g]

Spot on that man

And stud walls *can* sometimes be load bearing (not that I've seem many, bar
old cottages, except the "studs" were big, limpy and oak - but it is
possible).

--
Tim Watts