Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How hear doorbell out in garden?

I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and
forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to
the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the
door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just
inside the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the
kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a
second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front
door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

*Check out door bell extenders at SmartHome.com. I installed the Carlon
model in a customer's house once. Very easy to install, however the plug-in
chime was not very loud. I'm not sure if it will be loud enough for you
outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 12:04*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and forgetting to bring them in. *So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. *Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? *Run a wire from the box in the kitchen all through the house? * Is there a better way? *Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? *This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? *Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HB

this is an ideal question for the Usenet group
alt.security.alarm
I wired our doorbell to an alarm bell in the back - the kind you see
on a fire alarm box, about 6-8inch diameter. Nice loud ring. BUT the
neighbors would scowl, so I went to a quieter bell and a strobe light
like police flashing light. Now THAT grabs your attention even in
daylight, and doesn't bother neighbors.

to really simplify, you might try a 'personal pager' small, that clips
onto your clothing and requires only wiring AT your doorbell box in
your kitchen. Think like the key that unlocks your car, same principle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 8:04*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and forgetting to bring them in. *So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. *Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? *Run a wire from the box in the kitchen all through the house? * Is there a better way? *Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? *This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? *Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HBAds not by this site

What you need is something like this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/meters-Remot...less+doorbells
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 6:28*pm, harry wrote:
On Apr 26, 8:04*am, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and forgetting to bring them in. *So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. *Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? *Run a wire from the box in the kitchen all through the house? * Is there a better way? *Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? *This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? *Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HBAds not by this site

What you need is something like this.http://www.amazon.co.uk/meters-Remot...-Chime-UK/dp/B...

Or maybe this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Doo...less+doorbells

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 2:04 am, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HB

Put a sign on the front door that says:
"If door not answered, go around back to garden"

I am assuming that your visitors can read......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2013 1:32 PM, harry wrote:
On Apr 26, 6:28 pm, harry wrote:
[...]

My doorbell is wireless. Maybe every couple of years needs new
batteries. Chime is in center of the house but extra chime would be nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/26/2013 11:06 AM, Frank wrote:

My doorbell is wireless. Maybe every couple of years needs new
batteries. Chime is in center of the house but extra chime would be nice.

Buy another identical wireless doorbell, and set them to the same
frequency, or modify the existing wireless doorbell to trigger the
sender (doorbell button) of another wireless doorbell.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and
forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to
the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the
door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside
the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitchen
all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second
doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door,
wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HB

What does forgetting phones have to do with doorbells?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 26, 2013 12:49:15 PM UTC-7, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,

Higgs Boson wrote:

I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and

forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to

the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the

door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside

the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitchen

all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second

doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door,

wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HB

What does forgetting phones have to do with doorbells?

You're right; I stupidly conflated two problems.

One was: Can't hear doorbell in garden (or office w/door shut.

The other was: Can't hear phone in garden; took phones outside; forgot to bring them in; they got wet; ruined

So I really need two separate solutions, unless some genius on the NG can solve both at once g.

Doorbell, thanks for suggestions, some almost within my range of competence. I will check them out, and will also post on the alarm site someone mentioned.

Phone, I once heard there was some kind of flashing light avec sound that could be run from the phone to outside.

So now that I have untangled door bell from phone, I would welcome new input.

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

*Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Here in the UK you can get outside telephone bells. (Attached to the
building somewhere.)
Might annoy the neighbours if you have any,
Senior Member

I rented an apartment to a guy who was totally deaf. He had a rotating blue light connected to the door buzzer so that the light went on and rotated when someone was at the door.

Probably the most effective thing you can do for the doorbell is simply hanging a small sign on the front door of your house saying "I'm out back in the garden".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2013 2:04 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HB

I have a pager, been with the same company since 1984 and everyone has
that number. Since everyone has a cellphone these days you could rent a
pager for $20 a month and put a note on your door with your pager
number. Of course I've installed pager alarms in the past for folks who
wanted to know when someone was tampering with their car and there are
stand alone paging systems. ^_^

http://www.weitbrecht.com/personal_pager.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 04:48:54 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

$20 a month?! ...for a pager?!!! Just get another cell phone for
times when you're playing in the dirt. It'll be a *lot* cheaper than
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Simplest is to connect a wireless doorbell to the system and take it
outside when you go out. Simple enough to convert. Put a small relay
in place of the pushbutton on the wireless doorbell button, and
trigger the relay off the existing doorbell. This becomes your
"wireless repeater". Place it as close to the backyard as you can. Put
a switch on the "wireless receiver" so it does not ring while you have
it sitting un-used in the house or outside when you are not out (if
you fasten it to a sheltered outside location)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:57:33 +0200, nestork
wrote:

I rented an apartment to a guy who was totally deaf. He had a rotating
blue light connected to the door buzzer so that the light went on and
rotated when someone was at the door.

Probably the most effective thing you can do for the doorbell is simply
hanging a small sign on the front door of your house saying "I'm out
back in the garden".

Or "please use back door" which does not advertise that the house is
(or may be) unoccupied.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It covers The Southeast and when I'm in another city I get a digital
number or if my pager number comes up on the display, I know I have
voice mail. I keep my cellphone turned off until I'm going to use it.
I don't even have voice mail setup on the cellphone and I will not use
my cellphone while driving like the morons I must dodge every time I'm
on The Interstate Highway. I did a search and found pager service from
one place for $12 a month. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

What does forgetting phones have to do with doorbells?

There are doorbells that connect to your phone line, so pressing the
button will ring your cordless phone.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Belief in heaven is impossible in the absence of a greedy desire for
it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

I carry my cell phone in my pocket, even when in the back yard. Seems
like in this wonderful world of technology, someone should have a
doorbell "app" that would dial your phone
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2013 2:36 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 4/27/2013 10:30 AM, wrote:

$20 a month?! ...for a pager?!!! Just get another cell phone for
times when you're playing in the dirt. It'll be a *lot* cheaper than
that.

It covers The Southeast and when I'm in another city I get a digital
number or if my pager number comes up on the display, I know I have
voice mail. I keep my cellphone turned off until I'm going to use it.
I don't even have voice mail setup on the cellphone and I will not use
my cellphone while driving like the morons I must dodge every time I'm
on The Interstate Highway. I did a search and found pager service from
one place for $12 a month. o_O

Tracfone is only $20 for three months (~140 minutes if you use the promo
code), and that includes coverage over the entire US as well as voice mail.

Jon

I have a TracFone, had it for many years. In fact when they went
digital, they sent me a free digital model to replace my analog
TracFone. My pager is always with me and much smaller than my cellphone,
besides, I've been carrying a pager since the mid 1970's
and I've been with the same pager company since 1984. I've had the
same pager number for 23 years and people who haven't spoken with
me for years have called me to do business because they still have
my number from long ago. I'm not listed in any directory and don't
advertise, it's all word of mouth and I like it that way. Oh yea, I
get double minutes every time I refill my TracFone and the time I have
on it expires in the year 2022. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:24:36 -0500, hah wrote:

On 04/27/2013 11:31 AM, wrote:

DOORBELL INSTRUCTIONS:

1. If you're an asshole or on street drugs GO AWAY NOW.

I liked the sign I saw in a shop today; [picture of business end of
..38] with the words "We don't call 9-1-1?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Why not? My garage door opener has an app that calls, sends a text,
or email when the garage door is opened. I have no idea why someone
would want such a thing, but it's in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That ridiculous. A second "line" is $10/month with a free phone, and
you can get prepaid plans for $40/year, or I'm sure less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh for the love of God! Put your phone in a quart size Ziploc bag when you take it out to garden.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:58:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

ground shakes a limbaughnista agreeing with me?

Agreed? The idiot lefty insists on remaining an idiot lefty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:58:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

[...]

typical limbaughnista turning yourself into an idiot lefty
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/13 10:07 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

So now that I have untangled door bell from phone, I would welcome
new input.

TIA

HB

There are waterproof portable and waterproof cell phones available.
There are also military spec versions. I don't know the details of
military spec.
Have you looked for cases that hunters or fishermen might use?
Cabelas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:35:05 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:58:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

That is about the *dumbest* thing you've ever said, on so many levels.
It's hard to believe that your could top yourself, but you have.
Really amazing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:35:05 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:58:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Friday, April 26, 2013 12:49:15 PM UTC-7, Malcom Mal Reynolds
wrote:
In article
,

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

And yet you keep trying. Typical limbaughnista tactic to deny, deny,
deny and then blame, blame, blame

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:20:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:35:05 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:58:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Friday, April 26, 2013 12:49:15 PM UTC-7, Malcom Mal Reynolds
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

Once again, the stupid lefty demonstrates why he's a stupid lefty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:20:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:35:05 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:58:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Friday, April 26, 2013 12:49:15 PM UTC-7, Malcom Mal Reynolds
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

poor limbaughnista, just keep following the party line. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:21:47 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:20:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:35:05 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:58:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Friday, April 26, 2013 12:49:15 PM UTC-7, Malcom Mal Reynolds
wrote:
In article
,

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Poor lefty, too stupid to even read what he wrote.

I can hear you... Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 17 December 11th 12 05:55 PM
EVER HEAR OF A 31/32-28 TAP? Randy Metalworking 5 February 5th 10 11:03 PM
Did I hear right George UK diy 0 July 30th 08 09:00 PM
"Do yo hear what I hear?" was Recession is a given. Can we avoid a Bush Depression? Larry Jaques Metalworking 1 April 3rd 08 04:02 AM
Anybody here ever hear of this Craven Morehead Home Repair 2 August 26th 06 04:48 AM