Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Make this group Moderated?

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No.

Yes.

Are you a control freak or what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Please send me a formal request along with the mandatory $50 processing fee.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Moderated by whom? And for what standards?

Why don't you set up a Yahoo! or Google group and post the link here. We'll
all join.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"MiniM" wrote in message
53.160...
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2013 12:11 PM, MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 60,
MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Yep, but they sobered up in a couple of days. I find it interesting
that even the ones that have suggested the need to be moderated have
decided it wasn't worth the time or effort to actually go through the
process.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it's now moderated. I'm the moderater. Your
off topic post has been delated. Please refrain from doing
that again or you will be booted for good.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in :

MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Please send me a formal request along with the mandatory $50
processing fee.

I'll do it for $45 .... (+9.99 Precessing & handling which includes the
original deed for the group sent to you)

But wait! There's.... oh nevermind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the
GUN nuts here !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote in
:

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the
GUN nuts here !!

And don't forget the eternal USA/Canada FYou -- FYToo posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 13:47:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Yes, it's now moderated. I'm the moderater. Your
off topic post has been delated. Please refrain from doing
that again or you will be booted for good.....

Nice. Now lets talk GUNS and let the fun begin g !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:21:08 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Doug wrote in
:

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the
GUN nuts here !!

And don't forget the eternal USA/Canada FYou -- FYToo posts.

smile.... I forgot but you are correct !! Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

A damn Democrat did a few years ago. We sent him back to Kalifornia!

Senior Member

If'n I had my druthers, I'd druther it be moderated.

I've posted on plenty of internet DIY Q&A forums like this one, but this one has more arguments and more posts intended to annoy or anger other people than any other forum I've posted on. And I attribute that to the fact that there is no sheriff in town.

And, of course, this forum gets more spam posts than any other one I've been on too, cuz no one in here screens the posts before they appear online.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 16:28:06 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article 60,
MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Yep, but they sobered up in a couple of days. I find it interesting
that even the ones that have suggested the need to be moderated have
decided it wasn't worth the time or effort to actually go through the
process.

A poster here once suggested having alt.home.repair groups divided
into subjects.

alt.home.repair.electrical
alt.home.repair.plumbing

Etc. Stuff like that.

Right Bob?
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Since your post has nothing to do with home repair, you should have used OT
in your subject line.

There, you've been moderated. Feel better?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you
want to censor others, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to MiniM , passerby wrote:
MiniMouse wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

I'm using it right now @ http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/

at some point lost the killfile and making and then supporting a new one was
too much of a trouble. this works

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ed-744160-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

You should hang out at alt.hvac They are a much friendlier group
and will answer all your home repair questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2013 2:11 PM, MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Go to any home improvement supply house, hardware store, industrial
supply house or anywhere a bunch of reprobates hang out and talk about
anything and everything and that's what you'll find here. Many of us,
out of consideration, will put "OT" Off Topic in the title of any post
that has nothing to with home repair, construction or improvement. This
is for the more sensitive among us who may be upset if something about
politics, religion or naked women is posted. It makes it easy for anyone
to filter out Off Topic posts. You may also filter out certain
individual posters if you hate and despise them for the content of what
they may write. It's very easy to moderate what you see by setting up
your newsreader to filter out anything you don't like. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2013 4:20 PM, Doug wrote:
On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the
GUN nuts here !!

Gun nuts should always be protected by a properly fitted cup and
athletic supporter. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you
want to censor others, though.

Well, I don't know that the OP wants to "censor" others in the manner that
I assume you imply. (If my assumption is wrong, accept this early apology
and ignore the rest of this post.)

IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair issues
is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking about.

The completely OT subjects are bad enough, even when called out as such in
the subject line, but that's not biggest problem with a.h.r. these days,
IMHO.

We reached the point where the mere mention of "code" and/or "law" in
relation to a home repair topic eventually leads to someone saying the
government is taking over our lives, we all should carry guns, your mother
is a leftist commie, FU, Well, FU too!

How many threads that actually started out as a legitimate home repair
thread eventually spiraled down into political rantings from those on both
sides of the aisle, those in the middle of the aisle and those that don't
want others to share any aisle with them?

It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of
discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:

wrote:
[...]

We're only slightly on topic in this thread.

These guys act just like I'd expect a bunch of cranky old guys to act.

Unfortunately, a lot of these cranky old guys repair things too.

It's getting harder to tell if they ever contribute anything useful as
my kill file grows.

If people would cultivate their kill files instead of engaging in
pointless battles, this problem would resolve itself without a
moderator.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, it's now moderated. I'm the moderater. Your
off topic post has been delated. Please refrain from
doing
that again or you will be booted for good.....

Nice. Now lets talk GUNS and let the fun begin g !!

Take yer best shot

Bad puns are a little off target, don't you think?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

+1
shootin the ****, drinkin beer, talkin ****
good thing we don't have nekkid wimmen, tooeg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, it's now moderated. I'm the moderater. Your
off topic post has been delated. Please refrain from
doing
that again or you will be booted for good.....

Nice. Now lets talk GUNS and let the fun begin g !!

Take yer best shot

Bad puns are a little off target, don't you think?

Jon

only if you don't use good control

Senior Member

MiniM:

Prolly the reason most people don't want a moderator is cuz if this site was moderated, most of us would get booted out.

In my case, it'd be cuz of my poor moral fiber. I lust after promiscuous women.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 01:15:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

How many threads that actually started out as a legitimate home repair
thread eventually spiraled down into political rantings from those on both
sides of the aisle, those in the middle of the aisle and those that don't
want others to share any aisle with them?

It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of
discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?

All true, but I still don't want a moderator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

wrote:
On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone
ever considered that?

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you
want to censor others, though.

Well, I don't know that the OP wants to "censor" others in the manner
that I assume you imply. (If my assumption is wrong, accept this early
apology and ignore the rest of this post.)

IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair
issues is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking
about.

Yes, exactly. And this thread is a good example of subject "drift".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/13 2:11 PM, MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

We live in a world of almost instantaneous communications. Why
should an inquiry wait until a moderator deigns to post it and wait
still longer while the moderator decides if responses are on topic?
The U.S. put men on the moon with less computing capacity than a
teenager carries in his pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

You should hang out at alt.hvac They are a much friendlier group
and will answer all your home repair questions.

Good advice from a trusted source.

hee-hee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2013 9:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
[...]

want others to share any aisle with them?it is your problem

It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of
discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?

You described it perfectly. What you have is some folks who just don't
get the concept that there are others besides themselves.

This is the same as for example a neighbor who decides to use air tools
at 3 AM. Since they know they are the only one that matters they just do
it. A normal person knows that life is a give and take thing and you
can't have it your way all of the time.

If you were to mention "say Bob its 3 AM and everyone else is sleeping"
just like here you would be told it is your problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote in news:kk8v7d$3g1$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On 4/11/13 2:11 PM, MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

We live in a world of almost instantaneous communications. Why
should an inquiry wait until a moderator deigns to post it and wait
still longer while the moderator decides if responses are on topic?

Exactly

Moderator...
on vacation?
flu?
hospital?
accident?
drunk?
no access (crashed PC, whatever)

The U.S. put men on the moon with less computing capacity than a
teenager carries in his pocket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not all that fond of thread drift. But, others seem to drift as part of
every day life.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"MiniM" wrote in message
7.110...

IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair
issues is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking
about.

Yes, exactly. And this thread is a good example of subject "drift".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 3:11*pm, MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? *Has anyone ever
considered that?

I moderate it well enough for me, no problem.

Google is moderating the living **** out of the spam (that's a ****ing
everyday miracle few notice).

Usenet posting conventions have been driven from existence by faster
connections and people who have no respect for conventions of any sort
other than those of their own creation.

You can't infringe upon the rights of the US citizenry to ignore
"rules" if they feel like it; they'll do whatever however they damn
well please, thanks for asking.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 01:15:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you
want to censor others, though.

Well, I don't know that the OP wants to "censor" others in the manner that
I assume you imply. (If my assumption is wrong, accept this early apology
and ignore the rest of this post.)

Of course he does. He's said it.

IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair issues
is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking about.

That's *NOT* what he said. Moderating a group isn't about a "bit"
more focused. ...but you too are welcome to find a net group that
fits your likes better.

The completely OT subjects are bad enough, even when called out as such in
the subject line, but that's not biggest problem with a.h.r. these days,
IMHO.

No, it's netcops and whiners (see: mirror).

We reached the point where the mere mention of "code" and/or "law" in
relation to a home repair topic eventually leads to someone saying the
government is taking over our lives, we all should carry guns, your mother
is a leftist commie, FU, Well, FU too!

....and you're forced to read it, right? Oh, the horrors!

How many threads that actually started out as a legitimate home repair
thread eventually spiraled down into political rantings from those on both
sides of the aisle, those in the middle of the aisle and those that don't
want others to share any aisle with them?

....and you're forced to read them all, right? That's just
un-American!

It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of
discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?

Why don't you find a moderated group that fits your tastes better than
trying to tell everyone else what to do? Of course, you don't believe
in personal responsibility. Got it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 8:38*am, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 4/11/13 2:11 PM, MiniM wrote: Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? *Has anyone ever
considered that?

* We live in a world of almost instantaneous communications. * Why
should an inquiry wait until a moderator deigns to post it and wait
still longer while the moderator decides if responses are on topic?
The U.S. put men on the moon with less computing capacity than a
teenager carries in his pocket.

Moderation does not have to work in that manner. I am not advocating
moderation of any usenet group...simply pointing out the error of the
assumption you seem to have made.

Moderation can be an "after-the-fact" process.

I am one of several moderators of an on-line help forum for a specific
software application. All posts appear in the forum as soon as they
are posted. It is my responsibility to log in every now and then and
review the posts. I then have a number of options, including:

1 - Edit individual posts, including filling in a field that explains
why it was edited, e.g. deleting plain text email addresses or spam
links
2 - Delete individual posts
3 - Delete entire threads
4 - Escalate the issue to the site administrators and let them decide
what action to take, including deleting the member's account.

My point here is simply to show that moderation does not have to mean
a delay in posts appearing in the group. The moderation involves the
decision as to whether or not the posts (or thread) *stays* in the
group.

If I go on vacation or if my PC is down or if I just don't give a crap
on a given day everything that is sent to the forum shows up in the
forum. Since all moderators can moderate any forum on the site, I will
often let them (or the site administrator) know that I won't be
available for a few days. If they choose to keep an eye on "my" forum,
that's fine. If not, I can look it over when I get back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/13 2:11 PM, MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? *Has anyone ever
considered that?

* We live in a world of almost instantaneous communications. * Why
should an inquiry wait until a moderator deigns to post it and wait
still longer while the moderator decides if responses are on topic?

Exactly

Moderator...
* * * * on vacation?
* * * * flu?
* * * * hospital?
* * * * accident?
* * * * drunk?
* * * * no access (crashed PC, whatever)

Please see my response to D. Hoffman on how moderation can occur
without any impact by making it an "after the fact" process.

Sure, moderation can be set up such that posts are checked prior to
appearing in the forum/group but more often it is handled by deleting
the posts after they appear.

With that process, there is no delay in the appearance of the posts.
It then becomes a matter of whether or not the moderator feels that
the post is appropriate and whether or not it should be edited or
deleted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Apr 12, 8:38*am, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
[...]

Are you aware of any Usenet groups that work on that model? I don't
believe that the distributed nature of Usenet allows for that to work.
Once something is posted, even the originator is not guaranteed to be
able to cancel it.

Is this group moderated? Andy & Kim Electronics Repair 29 March 9th 06 09:33 PM
Moderated group thought. Wanda Pangborn Woodworking 136 November 21st 05 04:08 PM
Moderated Group? david lang UK diy 76 October 25th 05 06:37 PM
Moderated DIY group Kwerty UK diy 1 February 10th 04 05:29 PM
A moderated group! I am everyone on usenet! UK diy 25 February 8th 04 09:32 PM