Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Make this group Moderated?

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No.

Yes.

Are you a control freak or what?
Senior Member

If'n I had my druthers, I'd druther it be moderated.

I've posted on plenty of internet DIY Q&A forums like this one, but this one has more arguments and more posts intended to annoy or anger other people than any other forum I've posted on. And I attribute that to the fact that there is no sheriff in town.

And, of course, this forum gets more spam posts than any other one I've been on too, cuz no one in here screens the posts before they appear online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Please send me a formal request along with the mandatory $50 processing fee.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in :

MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Please send me a formal request along with the mandatory $50
processing fee.

I'll do it for $45 .... (+9.99 Precessing & handling which includes the
original deed for the group sent to you)

But wait! There's.... oh nevermind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Moderated by whom? And for what standards?

Why don't you set up a Yahoo! or Google group and post the link here. We'll
all join.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"MiniM" wrote in message
53.160...
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2013 12:11 PM, MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 60,
MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Yep, but they sobered up in a couple of days. I find it interesting
that even the ones that have suggested the need to be moderated have
decided it wasn't worth the time or effort to actually go through the
process.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 16:28:06 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article 60,
MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Yep, but they sobered up in a couple of days. I find it interesting
that even the ones that have suggested the need to be moderated have
decided it wasn't worth the time or effort to actually go through the
process.

A poster here once suggested having alt.home.repair groups divided
into subjects.

alt.home.repair.electrical
alt.home.repair.plumbing

Etc. Stuff like that.

Right Bob?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/13 3:28 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article 60,
MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Yep, but they sobered up in a couple of days. I find it interesting
that even the ones that have suggested the need to be moderated have
decided it wasn't worth the time or effort to actually go through the
process.

It's more interesting if the discussions take weird turns.
Sometimes seemingly unrelated things can be connected for a purpose.
There was a show called Connections hosted by James Burke.
A bit he http://tinyurl.com/339yakq
Burke would start the show sitting in a sports car, for example.
Then he's show the odd things that came together to make the car
possible. A perfume spray bottle works a bit like a carburetor in a car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 20:35:40 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

It's more interesting if the discussions take weird turns.
Sometimes seemingly unrelated things can be connected for a purpose.
There was a show called Connections hosted by James Burke.
A bit he http://tinyurl.com/339yakq
Burke would start the show sitting in a sports car, for example.
Then he's show the odd things that came together to make the car
possible. A perfume spray bottle works a bit like a carburetor in a car.

I watched every episode of Connections and the perfume bottle is the
one I remember the most. Great show.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If carburetion equals a spray bottle.
What is limited slip positraction rear differential?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
It's more interesting if the discussions take weird turns.
Sometimes seemingly unrelated things can be connected for a purpose.
There was a show called Connections hosted by James Burke.
A bit he http://tinyurl.com/339yakq
Burke would start the show sitting in a sports car, for example.
Then he's show the odd things that came together to make the car
possible. A perfume spray bottle works a bit like a carburetor in a car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/13 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
If carburetion equals a spray bottle.
What is limited slip positraction rear differential?
.

http://tinyurl.com/cz9hlek
http://tinyurl.com/cuuwdxq

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 08:59:17 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

If carburetion equals a spray bottle.
What is limited slip positraction rear differential?

Ever follow an attractive woman?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ever eat buttered toast? With cinnamon?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote:

If carburetion equals a spray bottle.
What is limited slip positraction rear differential?

Ever follow an attractive woman?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it's now moderated. I'm the moderater. Your
off topic post has been delated. Please refrain from doing
that again or you will be booted for good.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 13:47:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Yes, it's now moderated. I'm the moderater. Your
off topic post has been delated. Please refrain from doing
that again or you will be booted for good.....

Nice. Now lets talk GUNS and let the fun begin g !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, it's now moderated. I'm the moderater. Your
off topic post has been delated. Please refrain from
doing
that again or you will be booted for good.....

Nice. Now lets talk GUNS and let the fun begin g !!

Take yer best shot

Bad puns are a little off target, don't you think?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, it's now moderated. I'm the moderater. Your
off topic post has been delated. Please refrain from
doing
that again or you will be booted for good.....

Nice. Now lets talk GUNS and let the fun begin g !!

Take yer best shot

Bad puns are a little off target, don't you think?

Jon

only if you don't use good control

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the
GUN nuts here !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote in
:

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the
GUN nuts here !!

And don't forget the eternal USA/Canada FYou -- FYToo posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:21:08 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Doug wrote in
:

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the
GUN nuts here !!

And don't forget the eternal USA/Canada FYou -- FYToo posts.

smile.... I forgot but you are correct !! Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2013 4:20 PM, Doug wrote:
On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the
GUN nuts here !!

Gun nuts should always be protected by a properly fitted cup and
athletic supporter. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

A damn Democrat did a few years ago. We sent him back to Kalifornia!
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiniM wrote:
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

Since your post has nothing to do with home repair, you should have used OT
in your subject line.

There, you've been moderated. Feel better?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you
want to censor others, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you
want to censor others, though.

Well, I don't know that the OP wants to "censor" others in the manner that
I assume you imply. (If my assumption is wrong, accept this early apology
and ignore the rest of this post.)

IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair issues
is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking about.

The completely OT subjects are bad enough, even when called out as such in
the subject line, but that's not biggest problem with a.h.r. these days,
IMHO.

We reached the point where the mere mention of "code" and/or "law" in
relation to a home repair topic eventually leads to someone saying the
government is taking over our lives, we all should carry guns, your mother
is a leftist commie, FU, Well, FU too!

How many threads that actually started out as a legitimate home repair
thread eventually spiraled down into political rantings from those on both
sides of the aisle, those in the middle of the aisle and those that don't
want others to share any aisle with them?

It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of
discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?

Senior Member

MiniM:

Prolly the reason most people don't want a moderator is cuz if this site was moderated, most of us would get booted out.

In my case, it'd be cuz of my poor moral fiber. I lust after promiscuous women.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:

wrote:
[...]

We're only slightly on topic in this thread.

These guys act just like I'd expect a bunch of cranky old guys to act.

Unfortunately, a lot of these cranky old guys repair things too.

It's getting harder to tell if they ever contribute anything useful as
my kill file grows.

If people would cultivate their kill files instead of engaging in
pointless battles, this problem would resolve itself without a
moderator.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 01:15:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

How many threads that actually started out as a legitimate home repair
thread eventually spiraled down into political rantings from those on both
sides of the aisle, those in the middle of the aisle and those that don't
want others to share any aisle with them?

It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of
discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?

All true, but I still don't want a moderator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

wrote:
On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone
ever considered that?

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you
want to censor others, though.

Well, I don't know that the OP wants to "censor" others in the manner
that I assume you imply. (If my assumption is wrong, accept this early
apology and ignore the rest of this post.)

IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair
issues is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking
about.

Yes, exactly. And this thread is a good example of subject "drift".
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not all that fond of thread drift. But, others seem to drift as part of
every day life.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"MiniM" wrote in message
7.110...

IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair
issues is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking
about.

Yes, exactly. And this thread is a good example of subject "drift".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2013 9:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
[...]

want others to share any aisle with them?it is your problem

It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of
discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?

You described it perfectly. What you have is some folks who just don't
get the concept that there are others besides themselves.

This is the same as for example a neighbor who decides to use air tools
at 3 AM. Since they know they are the only one that matters they just do
it. A normal person knows that life is a give and take thing and you
can't have it your way all of the time.

If you were to mention "say Bob its 3 AM and everyone else is sleeping"
just like here you would be told it is your problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-04-12, George wrote:

This is the same as for example a neighbor who decides to use air tools
at 3 AM.

Ummm.... no, it's not.

Unlike neighbors, that have made great efforts/commitments, perhaps
lifelong, to be where they now are, you need not be here, at all, and
it is by YOUR choice that you are here. If you don't like it, leave.
It's as easy and painless as pushing a keyboard button and the only
investment is yer ego.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2013-04-12, George wrote:

This is the same as for example a neighbor who decides to use air tools
at 3 AM.

Ummm.... no, it's not.

Unlike neighbors, that have made great efforts/commitments, perhaps
lifelong, to be where they now are, you need not be here, at all, and
it is by YOUR choice that you are here. If you don't like it, leave.
It's as easy and painless as pushing a keyboard button and the only
investment is yer ego.

nb

And you can block out the idiot without also blocking the people you
want to listen to. (Think of it as noise cancelling the neighbor at 0300
without cutting off the entire neighborhood).
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-04-12, George wrote:

This is the same as for example a neighbor who decides to use air tools
at 3 AM.

Ummm.... no, it's not.

Unlike neighbors, that have made great efforts/commitments, perhaps
lifelong, to be where they now are, you need not be here, at all, and
it is by YOUR choice that you are here. If you don't like it, leave.
It's as easy and painless as pushing a keyboard button and the only
investment is yer ego.

nb

It is exactly the same. It is a give and take social thing. Endless
conversations that have nothing to do with home repair are no different
than say the people who feel empowered while driving 10 miles under the
speed limit in the passing lane or pushing a cart with 83 items into the
10 or less checkout.

Read your response. You gave the exact same response as my example. You
"if you don't like it leave" eg "It is your problem".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 01:15:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

On 11 Apr 2013 19:11:05 GMT, MiniM wrote:

Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever
considered that?

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you
want to censor others, though.

Well, I don't know that the OP wants to "censor" others in the manner that
I assume you imply. (If my assumption is wrong, accept this early apology
and ignore the rest of this post.)

Of course he does. He's said it.

IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair issues
is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking about.

That's *NOT* what he said. Moderating a group isn't about a "bit"
more focused. ...but you too are welcome to find a net group that
fits your likes better.

The completely OT subjects are bad enough, even when called out as such in
the subject line, but that's not biggest problem with a.h.r. these days,
IMHO.

No, it's netcops and whiners (see: mirror).

We reached the point where the mere mention of "code" and/or "law" in
relation to a home repair topic eventually leads to someone saying the
government is taking over our lives, we all should carry guns, your mother
is a leftist commie, FU, Well, FU too!

....and you're forced to read it, right? Oh, the horrors!

How many threads that actually started out as a legitimate home repair
thread eventually spiraled down into political rantings from those on both
sides of the aisle, those in the middle of the aisle and those that don't
want others to share any aisle with them?

....and you're forced to read them all, right? That's just
un-American!

It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of
discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?

Why don't you find a moderated group that fits your tastes better than
trying to tell everyone else what to do? Of course, you don't believe
in personal responsibility. Got it.

Is this group moderated? Andy & Kim Electronics Repair 29 March 9th 06 09:33 PM
Moderated group thought. Wanda Pangborn Woodworking 136 November 21st 05 04:08 PM
Moderated Group? david lang UK diy 76 October 25th 05 06:37 PM
Moderated DIY group Kwerty UK diy 1 February 10th 04 05:29 PM
A moderated group! I am everyone on usenet! UK diy 25 February 8th 04 09:32 PM