david lang

Default Moderated Group?

Hi

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Obviously the magicians groups are restricted membership for security - we
don't want people knowing how stuff is done, but its dead easy for a
moderator (or moderators) to stamp out silly flame wars that just waste
space and make threads unreadable. or to ban the members that start them.

The only public domain magicians group 'alt.magic' has literally died due to
one troll who just snipes at everyone.

Any thoughts?

Dave

The3rd Earl Of Derby

david lang wrote:
Hi

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the
flame wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Obviously the magicians groups are restricted membership for security
- we don't want people knowing how stuff is done, but its dead easy
for a moderator (or moderators) to stamp out silly flame wars that
just waste space and make threads unreadable. or to ban the members
that start them.

The only public domain magicians group 'alt.magic' has literally died
due to one troll who just snipes at everyone.

Any thoughts?

Dave

So you have failed as a magician to make these people disappear?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

EricP

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:55:55 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Hi

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Obviously the magicians groups are restricted membership for security - we
don't want people knowing how stuff is done, but its dead easy for a
moderator (or moderators) to stamp out silly flame wars that just waste
space and make threads unreadable. or to ban the members that start them.

The only public domain magicians group 'alt.magic' has literally died due to
one troll who just snipes at everyone.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Moderated groups suffer from delay in the posts appearing when a mod
isn't around and a lot of spontaneity is lost.

Also the particular prejudices of the mod reflect the content of the
group. They tend to become pro chat groups and discourage questions.

The "regulars" in here tend to be big and ugly and can see off any
trouble.

Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| Hi
|
| Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?
|
| I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
| wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Moderated Yahoo groups are IMO a *very bad idea* The owner is by
definition ghod and ends up acting like Satan.

| Obviously the magicians groups are restricted membership for security - we
| don't want people knowing how stuff is done, but its dead easy for a
| moderator (or moderators) to stamp out silly flame wars that just waste
| space and make threads unreadable. or to ban the members that start them.
|
| The only public domain magicians group 'alt.magic' has literally died due to
| one troll who just snipes at everyone.
|
| Any thoughts?

uk.d-i-y works remarkably well compared with some.
If people do not like an individual poster, I suggest they use a killfile,
*see sig* for how to use a killfile for your newsreader

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

wrote:

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

Moderated groups suffer from delay in the posts appearing when a mod
isn't around and a lot of spontaneity is lost.

Also the particular prejudices of the mod reflect the content of the
group. They tend to become pro chat groups and discourage questions.

The "regulars" in here tend to be big and ugly and can see off any
trouble.

changing the setup of this group gets suggested on a regular basis. But
uk.d-i-y works very well. We're a group of diyers and builders, we seem
to fend them off well enough. Just go look at some of the threads.

Anyway, fools have as much right to use this place as anyone else.
Maybe we stop them killing someone, when they occasionally listen.

1 or 2 are best plonked, or add something to the old dr. Evil drivel
thread.

NT

Doctor Drivel

"david lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

I would go along with that as it would get rid of Plowman, Matt (Lord Hall),
Tomlinson, Jerry and the rest of the lunatics.

david lang

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

So you have failed as a magician to make these people disappear?

I've heard all the jokes thanks :-)

Dave

david lang

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I would go along with that as it would get rid of Plowman, Matt (Lord
Hall), Tomlinson, Jerry and the rest of the lunatics.

Errrm .... that would only leave you & me......

Dave

david lang

EricP wrote:

Moderated groups suffer from delay in the posts appearing when a mod
isn't around and a lot of spontaneity is lost.

My groups are usually un moderated unless a flame war starts, in which case
the protaganists are moderated until it dies down.

Also the particular prejudices of the mod reflect the content of the
group. They tend to become pro chat groups and discourage questions.

Agreed that is true of some groups, hopefully not any of mine.

The "regulars" in here tend to be big and ugly and can see off any
trouble.

I deny here & now that anyone is big or ugly - I didn't say it!

Dave

nightjar

"david lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

It is something that crops up every so often, as does splitting the group
into several speciality areas. Both usually generate a number of posts but
eventually fail because the regular posters do not wish to have to monitor
more than one group to offer advice.

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
david lang wrote:
Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I'm sure you'd find one if you tried.

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the
flame wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

But Yahoo groups are essentially mail based. The beauty of this one is
anyone can post here - and that's what gets some of the most interesting
discussions going.

Obviously the magicians groups are restricted membership for security -
we don't want people knowing how stuff is done, but its dead easy for a
moderator (or moderators) to stamp out silly flame wars that just waste
space and make threads unreadable. or to ban the members that start
them.

That's fine for a 'boys' club.

The only public domain magicians group 'alt.magic' has literally died
due to one troll who just snipes at everyone.

Several have tried here and failed. It only really happens on low traffic
groups.

If the 'flames' truly upset you simply killfile the participants and or
thread.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"david lang" writes:
Hi

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

Yes, and there's nothing stopping you from doing so.
Personally, I'll be staying here. I'm not interested
in news articles appearing as emails or via web pages.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the
flame wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

I would go along with that as it would get rid of Plowman, Matt (Lord
Hall), Tomlinson, Jerry and the rest of the lunatics.

That's good news, John. It's easy to set one up. So do it. I'd suggest you
call it DIY Poetry. That should get the 'audience' you deserve.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the
flame wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

I would go along with that as it would get rid of Plowman, Matt (Lord
Hall), Tomlinson, Jerry and the rest of the lunatics.

That's good news,

It is.

snip senile drivel

Lurch

On or around Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:01:36 +0100, Rob Morley
mused:

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Is he still here? The filters in my newsreader must be working well
then :-)

Mine work too, problem is, people still reply to him.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |
Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"david lang" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

I would go along with that as it would get rid of Plowman, Matt (Lord Hall),
Tomlinson, Jerry and the rest of the lunatics.

Very amusing Dribble. I'm not Lord Hall and the only lunatic around
here is you. True but sad.

Matt

Lurch wrote:

On or around Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:01:36 +0100, Rob Morley
mused:

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Is he still here? The filters in my newsreader must be working well
then :-)

Mine work too, problem is, people still reply to him.

Well lets ALL agree to ignore him (and all his aliases)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Personally, I'll be staying here. I'm not interested
in news articles appearing as emails or via web pages.

I don't see the connection between this statement and that about
moderation.

Because newsgroups by nature aren't modulated? Posts go straight to the
servers and are accessible by everyone.

Drivel's 'snip rubbish' things are an attempt to censor them for those
reading from archives like Google, etc.

--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Steve Walker

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

uk.d-i-y works remarkably well compared with some.
If people do not like an individual poster, I suggest they use a
killfile, *see sig* for how to use a killfile for your newsreader

I agree - we're far from the threshold where moderation is needed, thanks to
the robust action of established members to any threat.

:::Jerry::::

"david lang" wrote in message
news
EricP wrote:

Moderated groups suffer from delay in the posts appearing when a

mod
isn't around and a lot of spontaneity is lost.

My groups are usually un moderated unless a flame war starts,

"My groups...", and that is were the problem starts, this is not
anyone's group, so it can't get into silly "I don't like that sort of
opinion" sorts of censorship.

QED.

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" aka Lord Hall wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"david lang" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the

flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

I would go along with that as it would get rid of Plowman, Matt (Lord

Hall),
Tomlinson, Jerry and the rest of the lunatics.

Very amusing

Thank you. Your shenanigans would be curtailed Lord Hall.

Doctor Drivel

Bob Eager wrote:
Personally, I'll be staying here. I'm not interested
in news articles appearing as emails or via web pages.

I don't see the connection between this statement and that about
moderation.

Because newsgroups by nature aren't modulated?

Do you mean they are static?

Doctor Drivel

Lurch wrote:

On or around Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:01:36 +0100, Rob Morley
mused:

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the

flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Is he still here? The filters in my newsreader must be working well
then :-)

Mine work too, problem is, people still reply to him.

Well lets ALL agree to ignore him (and all his aliases)

We try to inore Lord Hall, but then you emerge as Matt.

Doctor Drivel

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"david lang" wrote in message
news
EricP wrote:

Moderated groups suffer from delay in the posts appearing when a

mod
isn't around and a lot of spontaneity is lost.

My groups are usually un moderated unless a flame war starts,

"My groups...", and that is were the problem starts, this is not
anyone's group, so it can't get into silly "I don't like that sort of
opinion" sorts of censorship.

But it would stop lunatics like yourself, Matt/Lord Hall, Plowman, etc.

Lurch

On or around Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:51:36 +0100, Rob Morley
mused:

I don't see the replies - I filter bodies too.

I really should use a newsreader with better filtering, this one is
crap. I haven't worked out how to alter\remove filters yet.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |
Bob Eager

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:57:57 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Personally, I'll be staying here. I'm not interested
in news articles appearing as emails or via web pages.

I don't see the connection between this statement and that about
moderation.

Because newsgroups by nature aren't modulated? Posts go straight to the
servers and are accessible by everyone.

No, you can have moderated newsgroups. There is no reason why not; the
mechanism exists, and is used.

(it's 'moderated', Dave; I'm sure you knew that but you were obviously
thinking about work!)

Peter Parry

wrote:

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

Yes, several times.

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

You lead an un-naturally sheltered life.

Any thoughts?

Several, but most not repeatable. If I ever feel I want to live on
the intellectual equivalent of boiled potatoes and thin gruel with,
as an occasional treat, a Macdeathburger, I shall think about it
again.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
:::Jerry::::

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"david lang" wrote in message
news
EricP wrote:

Moderated groups suffer from delay in the posts appearing

when a
mod
isn't around and a lot of spontaneity is lost.

My groups are usually un moderated unless a flame war starts,

"My groups...", and that is were the problem starts, this is not
anyone's group, so it can't get into silly "I don't like that

sort of
opinion" sorts of censorship.

But it would stop lunatics like yourself, Matt/Lord Hall, Plowman,

etc.

....and not forgetting yourself Drivel....

You really are a cretin, you just couldn't work out that my comment
was defending your right to post just as much anyone else's!

Peter Taylor

"david lang" wrote in message
.uk...

Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Flame wars? We don't get flame wars, just a bit of silly name calling. But
it's worth putting up with it just for the entertainment of seeing IMM/Dr D
digging himself a pit to fall into. I hate to admit it, but, TBH, this
place would be duller without him.

Ian Clowes

Peter Taylor wrote:

it's worth putting up with it just for the entertainment of seeing IMM/Dr D
digging himself a pit to fall into.

I've been away a while. Is Dr D. the new name for Adam/IMM then?

IanC
Andy Hall

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:41:04 +0100, Ian Clowes
wrote:

Peter Taylor wrote:

it's worth putting up with it just for the entertainment of seeing IMM/Dr D
digging himself a pit to fall into.

I've been away a while. Is Dr D. the new name for Adam/IMM then?

IanC

Couldn't you tell?

He hasn't done a land value tax looney story lately, although we are
up to needing over 400mm insulation these days.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Chris Bacon

david lang wrote:
Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?

I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the flame
wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Any thoughts?

I don't really see a problem with what this group is - sure, it
would be nice if the one or two habitual protagonaists v. Dr.
Drivel ceased their vainglorious (and mutual) willy-waving, and
if vacuous endities such as Fischer shuffled off permenantly -
I hardy have a killfile, you see, since it only "cures the
symptoms" - the idea of a moderated group has a few issues that
I'm not particularly keen on.
Suz

"Ian Clowes" wrote in message
Peter Taylor wrote:

it's worth putting up with it just for the entertainment of seeing IMM/Dr
digging himself a pit to fall into.

I've been away a while. Is Dr D. the new name for Adam/IMM then?

IanC

Dr Evil was one of his aliases and his pals in here started to refer to him
as Dr Drivel, so he uses that now.

Suzanne

chris French

In message , Owain
writes
david lang wrote:
Has anyone though of starting a UK DIY moderated group?
I run several Yahoo Groups in my other 'life' as a magician and the
flame wars aren't anything like the Dr Drivel ones we get here.

Yahoo Groups demands registration with Yahoo

They do, but I find that no great shakes.

and using their ****ey web interface.

No it doesn't (except for the odd bit of admin to my account really)

Yahoo Groups are useless for off-line reading,

Not at all, I read mine via email, and view them much like newsgroups
(threading, automatic expire etc.), but then that's because I using a
rather superior email program :-)

--
Chris French

Chris Bacon

Owain wrote:
The problem with Drivel is that most of his posts (apart from the 'snip
drivel' ones) are "on topic" for the group, even if useless or worse
than useless. I think peer review is better than, effectively, censorship.

The easiest way is either ignore Drivel completely (killfile him in your
newsreader) or just skip past threads that turn into name-calling.

If that's the issue, the best way is simply not to indulge
the miscreant at all. Some hopes.
Ian Clowes

wrote:

I've been away a while. Is Dr D. the new name for Adam/IMM then?

IanC

Couldn't you tell?

He hasn't done a land value tax looney story lately, although we are
up to needing over 400mm insulation these days.

Hi Andy

I hadn't had the pleasure of catching up on all the current threads, but
will now seek out a few of the relevant ones for some odd masochistic
reason.

Funny thing is there seems to be more general sniping than I recall from
a few years ago, so maybe the odd Dr D. thing I had read seemd to melt
into this. Nothing too serious, but more pointed comments and less
general tolerance. Maybe it marks some transition point where Usenet
became just a part of day-to-day life and lost its etiquette in the past
year or four.

Truth be told I only joined a few threads as I was asking a question of
my own and consider it a courtesy to try and answer a few others in
return. I'll be gone again soon.

Take care
IanC

OT - Blue & Red jim rozen Metalworking 238 August 4th 05 05:45 PM
Nice write up about LEDs Gunner Metalworking 242 June 13th 04 04:10 PM
Moderated DIY group Kwerty UK diy 1 February 10th 04 05:29 PM
A moderated group! I am everyone on usenet! UK diy 25 February 8th 04 09:32 PM
An open request to all group members (In advance, we admit that this post could be considered commercial in nature) Chris Sypolt Metalworking 1 August 30th 03 02:12 PM