Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lansky Sharpening System

Got one as a gift.
http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-...eywords=lansky

This "system" simplifies the man-of-the-house duty of sharpening knives and
things.

And the Lansky gets these things brutally sharp!

The trick/technique behind the device is seemingly in its guaranteeing of a
consistent, perfect angle of the sharpened edge. The system itself provides
four angles: 1) Heavy-duty tools like an axe, 2) Utility knives such as a
pocket knife or ordinary kitchen knife, 3) Finer edge such as used for
filleting, and 4) Super-fine (think razor blade).

Coupled with these four angles, the system comes with a variety of hones,
from very coarse to very fine. Other sets of hones include stones for
serrated edges and diamond dust stones.

Anyway, after setting up the knife in the knife holder, about five minutes
with three different hones, will result in a fine, sharp tool.

If you're looking for something better than a short trip to the bench
grinder, I recommend the Lansky.

As a plus, your current squeeze will be ever so grateful!

(Lansky has videos and demos at their web site - http://lansky.com/ )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2013 9:45 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Got one as a gift.
http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-...eywords=lansky

This "system" simplifies the man-of-the-house duty of sharpening knives and
things.

And the Lansky gets these things brutally sharp!

But wait, there's more!

The kit includes a "precision-engineered" knife clamp and "specially
formulated" honing oil.

If we order in the next 10 minutes will they throw in a set of those
chef knives that you can cut concrete with?

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-...System/dp/B000...

This "system" simplifies the man-of-the-house duty of sharpening knives and
things.

And the Lansky gets these things brutally sharp!

But wait, there's more!

The kit includes a "precision-engineered" knife clamp and "specially
formulated" honing oil.

If we order in the next 10 minutes will they throw in a set of those
chef knives that you can cut concrete with?

What? No, "We'll give you a second one FREE (after you pay extra of
course)".

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

I have a set someplace. Time consuming. Probably a good choice for a show
knife.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

And watch us use the same knife (after camera scene change) to thin slice
tomatos.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Gustave" wrote in message

If we order in the next 10 minutes will they throw in a set of those
chef knives that you can cut concrete with?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gustave" wrote in message
On 3/30/2013 9:45 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Got one as a gift.
http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-...eywords=lansky

This "system" simplifies the man-of-the-house duty of sharpening knives
and
things.

And the Lansky gets these things brutally sharp!

But wait, there's more!

The kit includes a "precision-engineered" knife clamp and "specially
formulated" honing oil.

If we order in the next 10 minutes will they throw in a set of those chef
knives that you can cut concrete with?

If I got those "chef's knives you can cut concrete with..", my wife would
take that as a slur on her cooking and baking skills
The last time I tried using appropriate tools in the kitchen, I was in the
doghouse for about a month, after I tried using a hammer and chisel on her
brownies
So thanks. but no thanks..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:24:02 -0500, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

The last time I tried using appropriate tools in the kitchen, I was in the
doghouse for about a month, after I tried using a hammer and chisel on her
brownies

Giggle. In a meeting one day, the boss asked:

"Oren, how are those (wife's) biscuits coming along?" inside joke

In reply I said; "Boss they are as tough as a hokey puck!"

Right over the heads of the meeting members...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The last time I tried using appropriate tools in the kitchen, I was in the
doghouse for about a month, after I tried using a hammer and chisel on her
brownies

Giggle. In a meeting one day, the boss asked:

"Oren, how are those (wife's) biscuits coming along?" inside joke

In reply I said; "Boss they are as tough as a hokey puck!"

Right over the heads of the meeting members...

We have a calendar code for recipes that are not popular
It starts with February 30 and goes on from there.
Currently Liver Lecso, is next scheduled for February 79.

Lecso is quite OK with all family members
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecso
Typically, I make it with 2 kinds a sausage for meat
Wieners and Gyulai sliced into disks.
Note that you do NOT use the rendered fat from American Style bacon.
It contains too much salt, sugar and other "additives".
Find a local European deli, and by some real smoked bacon which comes in a
slab.
Or you can order some from here
http://www.bende.com/kolozsvari-smok...on-559lb-p-37/
Cheaper than buying it locally.

But I love liver and decided to make a Lecso with some chicken liver.
Talk about a day of infamy.
Almost on par with Pearl Harbor..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gustave wrote:
On 3/30/2013 9:45 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Got one as a gift.
http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-...eywords=lansky

This "system" simplifies the man-of-the-house duty of sharpening knives and
things.

And the Lansky gets these things brutally sharp!

But wait, there's more!

The kit includes a "precision-engineered" knife clamp and "specially
formulated" honing oil.

If we order in the next 10 minutes will they throw in a set of those chef
knives that you can cut concrete with?

Actually, the Lansky system is not one of those As Seen On TV rip-offs.
I've had one for many years and, assuming you want to take the time to set
it up and use it, it does a fantastic job on all sorts of knifes. There are
different slots in the knife holder for different angles based on the type
of edge you are looking for.

I can shave the hair off of my arm after sharpening a knife with the Lansky
system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Gustave wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the second.

I did learn a couple of things in studying the instructions: One, oiling the
stone is NOT for lubrication. Oil is to wash out the steel shavings from the
stone itself. After a few drops of oil, and spreading it around, wipe it all
off with a paper towel. The black coloring is the steel removed from the
knife.

Second, the blade should move against the stone as if you were cutting
something and never in the reverse direction. Moving the blade backwards
against the stone, wide side to sharp side, puts "feathers" on the cutting
edge which essentially dulls the knife.