Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Lansky Sharpening System

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Gustave wrote:
On 3/30/2013 9:45 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Got one as a gift.
http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-...eywords=lansky

This "system" simplifies the man-of-the-house duty of sharpening
knives and things.

And the Lansky gets these things brutally sharp!

But wait, there's more!

The kit includes a "precision-engineered" knife clamp and "specially
formulated" honing oil.

If we order in the next 10 minutes will they throw in a set of those
chef knives that you can cut concrete with?

Actually, the Lansky system is not one of those As Seen On TV
rip-offs. I've had one for many years and, assuming you want to take
the time to set it up and use it, it does a fantastic job on all
sorts of knifes. There are different slots in the knife holder for
different angles based on the type of edge you are looking for.

I can shave the hair off of my arm after sharpening a knife with the
Lansky system.

Thanks for the second.

I did learn a couple of things in studying the instructions: One, oiling the
stone is NOT for lubrication. Oil is to wash out the steel shavings from the
stone itself. After a few drops of oil, and spreading it around, wipe it all
off with a paper towel. The black coloring is the steel removed from the
knife.

Second, the blade should move against the stone as if you were cutting
something and never in the reverse direction. Moving the blade backwards
against the stone, wide side to sharp side, puts "feathers" on the cutting
edge which essentially dulls the knife.