Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Tru-Grind sharpening system

I finally broke down and bought a sharpening jig...

After a lot of urging from the group to do my own sharpening, (my wife is the
family sharpener), I went through free hand on a grinder and 1" belt, then tried
a few shop made jigs..

For $110, the Tru-grind is a great value IMO, and would have saved me hours and
days of building, adjusting and learning to use my own jigs...

I'm pretty much a beginner on lathe chisels and I've used up a set of $15
chisels in my experimentation, but with the T-G, I was putting edges on my tools
that were sharper than I or my wife have been able to do...
My conventional grind bowl gouges look and cut great and my swept wing gouges
actually look a little like Bill Grumbine's... NOW I can practice some of the
cuts on his video, which just don't work with a standard grind..

In about 2 hours, I sharpened all of my lathe tools, several center punches, a
few drill bits and pretty much anything else that didn't run or duck...

As you can tell, I'm very impressed with it...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 12:24:40 +0200, Bjarte Runderheim wrote:

Welcome to the flock:-)

Mine is now over 2years and well used.
When the eye is no longer what it was,
if ever it was,
the Truegrind becomes a very good helper.

(I'm norwegian, not from N.Z:-)

BjarteR

I thought that they were a ripoff... now I see why so many experienced turners
buy or build a jig...

My only problem so far is making myself hold the damn thing like in the video
and not trying to hold the chisel handle..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim

mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 12:24:40 +0200, Bjarte Runderheim wrote:
Welcome to the flock:-)

Mine is now over 2years and well used.
When the eye is no longer what it was,
if ever it was,
the Truegrind becomes a very good helper.

(I'm norwegian, not from N.Z:-)

BjarteR

I thought that they were a ripoff... now I see why so many experienced turners
buy or build a jig...

My only problem so far is making myself hold the damn thing like in the video
and not trying to hold the chisel handle..

The eternal truth: "There is no substitute for practice".

BjarteR
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Henry St.Pierre

mac davis wrote in
:

[...]

Hi Mac,
Just curiosity, but why did you choose Tru-grind? Did you consider
Wolverine or others?
Regards amigo,
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:01:26 -0500, "Henry St.Pierre" wrote:

Hi Mac,
Just curiosity, but why did you choose Tru-grind? Did you consider
Wolverine or others?
Regards amigo,
Hank

Mostly price, Hank...

Wolverine, Kelton, etc. are more up front and then you need several
"attachments"... like for gouges, skews, etc...

Also, it seemed very close to the one that Derrell Feltmate built and likes..

http://aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Larry Blanchard

mac davis wrote:

Wolverine, Kelton, etc. are more up front and then you need several
"attachments"... like for gouges, skews, etc...

Since I recently bought the Wolverine with the "Vari-Grind" attachment, I
thought I'd compare the costs.

The Wolverine gives me the equivalent of the Tru-Grind "System" plus an extra
base and "Sturdy Rest".

The cost of all of that (Packard) adds up to $201.85.

The Wolverine system with the "Vari-Grind" costs (also from Packard) $127.90.
Or I could go with their "Intermediate Wolverine System" which includes the
above plus a wheel dressing attachment for $149.95.

So the claim that the Wolverine costs more up front does not appear to be
true.

Also, with the Wolverine I can switch from one wheel to the other. The
Tru-Grind has "handed" tool rests.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Barnett

Larry Blanchard writes:

The Wolverine system with the "Vari-Grind" costs (also from Packard)
$127.90.

I saw one catalog that had a sale on the Wolverine starter set - for
$59. (saving $20).

But I can't remember where...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
WA5FDF

Bruce Barnett wrote:
Larry Blanchard writes:

The Wolverine system with the "Vari-Grind" costs (also from Packard)
$127.90.

I saw one catalog that had a sale on the Wolverine starter set - for
$59. (saving $20).

But I can't remember where...

I have both systems. I bought the Tru-grind first but it had a problem
with the knob on the vari-grind jig. It was hard to get it settled and
tight enough to sharpen and then had to find a pair of pliers to get it
loose. I then bought the Wolverine and also made an arm to allow the
use of the Elsworth jig. I like this much better and us it all the
time.

Vernon