Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Henry St.Pierre

Default Tru-Grind sharpening system

mac davis wrote in
:

I finally broke down and bought a sharpening jig...

After a lot of urging from the group to do my own sharpening, (my wife
is the family sharpener), I went through free hand on a grinder and 1"
belt, then tried a few shop made jigs..

For $110, the Tru-grind is a great value IMO, and would have saved me
hours and days of building, adjusting and learning to use my own
jigs...

I'm pretty much a beginner on lathe chisels and I've used up a set of
$15 chisels in my experimentation, but with the T-G, I was putting
edges on my tools that were sharper than I or my wife have been able
to do... My conventional grind bowl gouges look and cut great and my
swept wing gouges actually look a little like Bill Grumbine's... NOW I
can practice some of the cuts on his video, which just don't work with
a standard grind..

In about 2 hours, I sharpened all of my lathe tools, several center
punches, a few drill bits and pretty much anything else that didn't
run or duck...

As you can tell, I'm very impressed with it...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Hi Mac,
Just curiosity, but why did you choose Tru-grind? Did you consider
Wolverine or others?
Regards amigo,
Hank