Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC soil pipe directly over a timber

I have a 200+ year old home and am remodeling a bathroom. The location where
I wish to locate the toilet would place the flange and PVC soil pipe directly
over a 8x8 timber. I could judiciously remove a portion of the timber,
reinforcing with plywood gussets, glued and screwed, but I feel a flange and
90-ell would require removing too much of the timber. Is there any solution?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-742514-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Docvox wrote:

The location where I wish to locate the toilet would place the
flange and PVC soil pipe directly over a 8x8 timber.

Build a platform for the toilet to sit on. Re-route the drain pipe
inside the platform so it avoids the 8x8 timber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 6:03*pm, Home Guy wrote:
Docvox wrote:
The location where I wish to locate the toilet would place the
flange and PVC soil pipe directly over a 8x8 timber.

Build a platform for the toilet to sit on. *Re-route the drain pipe
inside the platform so it avoids the 8x8 timber.

Are there any toilets with deliberately offset outlets?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Docvox wrote:
The location where I wish to locate the toilet would place the
flange and PVC soil pipe directly over a 8x8 timber.

Build a platform for the toilet to sit on. Re-route the drain pipe
inside the platform so it avoids the 8x8 timber.

Are there any toilets with deliberately offset outlets?

There are toilets called "back outlet toilets" that flush out of the back
rather than flushing straight down below the toilet.

Here's a Google search for that:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=back+outlet+toilets .

Click on the link that says "Images for back outlet toilets" to see photos
and diagrams.

Maybe the OP could use a back outlet toilet and route the PVC soil pipe away
from the timber that is below where the toilet will go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pvc-soil-pipe-directly-over-...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to *home and garden related *groups

relocate toilet.......

Senior Member

Would an offset floor flange buy you enough space to sneak past that 8X8?

Offset floor flanges will typically give you a 1 1/2 inch offset between the center line of the toilet bowl horn and the drain pipe it empties into.

If not, how about this one:

Everyone makes an offset floor flange, and Sioux Chief (and I expect others) makes the angle outlet closet flange. You should be able to buy the Sioux Chief at Home Depot.

Last edited by nestork : March 30th 13 at 05:33 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 22:44:01 +0000, Docvox
wrote:

I have a 200+ year old home and am remodeling a bathroom.

I would think so.

The location where
I wish to locate the toilet would place the flange and PVC soil pipe directly
over a 8x8 timber. I could judiciously remove a portion of the timber,
reinforcing with plywood gussets, glued and screwed, but I feel a flange and
90-ell

Elves are discussed in the next t hread.

would require removing too much of the timber. Is there any solution?

Put the toilet (or the whole bathroom) on a platform so the pipe can
go to the side? I've stayed in hotels where the whole bathroom was on
a 6 or 8" platform. I assume that was to make doing the pipes easier,
although there may have been another reason, like washing the floor??.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 200+ year old home and am remodeling a bathroom.

I would think so.

The location where
I wish to locate the toilet would place the flange and PVC soil pipe directly
over a 8x8 timber. I could judiciously remove a portion of the timber,
reinforcing with plywood gussets, glued and screwed, but I feel a flange and
90-ell

Elves are discussed in the next t hread.

would require removing too much of the timber. Is there any solution?

Put the toilet (or the whole bathroom) on a platform so the pipe can
go to the side? I've stayed in hotels where the whole bathroom was on
a 6 or 8" platform. I assume that was to make doing the pipes easier,
although there may have been another reason, like washing the floor??.

Ok, what am I missing? Why would it be easier to wash a floor that is 6-8"
higher than the surrounding area. After all, it's still a floor, isn't it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 200+ year old home and am remodeling a bathroom. The location
where
I wish to locate the toilet would place the flange and PVC soil pipe
directly
over a 8x8 timber. I could judiciously remove a portion of the timber,
reinforcing with plywood gussets, glued and screwed, but I feel a flange
and
90-ell would require removing too much of the timber. Is there any
solution?

*I don't know if this will help, but an offset closet flange is available:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...37j4r12ue j_e

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because you can sweep the water into a bucket of the right size at the
entrance to the bathroom. Instead of having to soak it into the mop
and wring out the mop, several times. Quicker. The bedroom was still
at the original height.

I don't know if they did this, but I don't like to assume my first
guess is the correct one. One hotel was probably the Abbey in NYC,
about 37 years old in 1964, still 3 stars or more, and had probably
had its bathrooms remodeled. (Was once half of the Abbey-Victoria,
split up, and then merged again. Now torn down for the Equitable Life
Assurance Society.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Help me picture that. What are you expecting them to do...pour a bunch of
water on the floor and then "sweep" it through the doorway into a 6 high
bucket?

How wide would this bucket need to be to work correctly...as wide as the
doorway? A 32 x ? X 6 bucket?

How would the hotel worker move that around once it was full of water?

I don't know if they did this, but I don't like to assume my first
guess is the correct one. One hotel was probably the Abbey in NYC,
about 37 years old in 1964, still 3 stars or more, and had probably
had its bathrooms remodeled. (Was once half of the Abbey-Victoria,
split up, and then merged again. Now torn down for the Equitable Life
Assurance Society.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Make the bathroom with shower handicap accessible. One day you may
need it.

the shower drain is the low oint of the entire bathroom, with no hub
at the shower entrance.,

all overflows go down the shower drain such a bathroom can be a big
selling point in the future, and handy to have in the meantime.

with ceramic tile walls you can use a hose to clean everything
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Assurance Society.)- Hide quoted text -

That jacked up bathroom sure must have made an impression,
seeing that you still remember it from 1964....
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Home Guy , Docvox wrote:
Home wrote:

Docvox wrote:

The location where I wish to locate the toilet would place the
flange and PVC soil pipe directly over a 8x8 timber.

Build a platform for the toilet to sit on. Re-route the drain pipe
inside the platform so it avoids the 8x8 timber.

Thanks. My ultimate solution was an off-set closet flange and a 14" rough-in
toilet.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-742514-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah something like that. Maybe like a dust pan on a long handle,
where the dustpan opens vertically until it's put on the floor. Then
it tips over and opens to the side.

How wide would this bucket need to be to work correctly...as wide as the
doorway? A 32 x ? X 6 bucket?

No, not that wide.

How would the hotel worker move that around once it was full of water?

I don't know. But after they tried it a few times, they'd figure out
better ways than I can, sitting here. There are many many good ideas
that others have figured out that I don't unless I see it done that
way.

Like I say:
I don't know if they did this, but I don't like to assume my first
guess is the correct one. One hotel was probably the Abbey in NYC,
about 37 years old in 1964, still 3 stars or more, and had probably
had its bathrooms remodeled. (Was once half of the Abbey-Victoria,
split up, and then merged again. Now torn down for the Equitable Life
Assurance Society.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it did! I'm still trying to figure out why they did that, but
pretty sure it was to change the plumbing without digging up the floor
too much. Not sure why the plumbing needed changing, though, since
I think the original construction in 1927 would have had a sink and a
tub with a shower, just like it did when I was there. Hot and cold
water, too.

I remmeber it had a half-inch lip that extended the floor past the
riser near the door to the bedroom. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Specifications

PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR DIRECT EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING TO THIS ADVERT. THIS WILL HELP US SEND YOU A SWIFT REPLY TO YOUR REQUEST

WE DEAL ON HARDWOOD LOGS, LUMBER, SAWN TIMBER, FLOORING, DECKING MATERIALS. THIS INCLUDES IROKO, SAPELE, ACAJOU, BUBINGA, EBONY, MAHOGANY, FRAKE, TEAK, PADAUK, OBECHE, DOUSSIE, PACHYLOBA, AYOUS, OKAN, DABEMA, BILINGA, AND MANY OTHERS. WHAT EVER HARDWOOD YOU NEED OR REQUIRE, SIMPLE CONTACT US TO KNOW OUR STOCKS. CONTACT WITH YOUR EMAIL AND TELEPHONE NUMBER FOR EASY COMMUNICATION .

PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR DIRECT EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING TO THIS ADVERT. THIS WILL HELP US SEND YOU A SWIFT REPLY TO YOUR REQUEST

ALPHA TIMBER CO,.LTD
Email : alphatimberco2013 AT gmail.com
SKYPE: lidapgroupco