Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default PVC soil pipe directly over a timber

micky wrote:
On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:58:13 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

micky wrote:
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 22:44:01 +0000, Docvox
wrote:

I have a 200+ year old home and am remodeling a bathroom.

I would think so.

The location where
I wish to locate the toilet would place the flange and PVC soil pipe directly
over a 8x8 timber. I could judiciously remove a portion of the timber,
reinforcing with plywood gussets, glued and screwed, but I feel a flange and
90-ell

Elves are discussed in the next t hread.

would require removing too much of the timber. Is there any solution?

Put the toilet (or the whole bathroom) on a platform so the pipe can
go to the side? I've stayed in hotels where the whole bathroom was on
a 6 or 8" platform. I assume that was to make doing the pipes easier,
although there may have been another reason, like washing the floor??.

Ok, what am I missing? Why would it be easier to wash a floor that is 6-8"
higher than the surrounding area. After all, it's still a floor, isn't it?

Because you can sweep the water into a bucket of the right size at the
entrance to the bathroom. Instead of having to soak it into the mop
and wring out the mop, several times. Quicker. The bedroom was still
at the original height.

Help me picture that. What are you expecting them to do...pour a bunch of
water on the floor and then "sweep" it through the doorway into a 6 high
bucket?

How wide would this bucket need to be to work correctly...as wide as the
doorway? A 32 x ? X 6 bucket?

How would the hotel worker move that around once it was full of water?

I don't know if they did this, but I don't like to assume my first
guess is the correct one. One hotel was probably the Abbey in NYC,
about 37 years old in 1964, still 3 stars or more, and had probably
had its bathrooms remodeled. (Was once half of the Abbey-Victoria,
split up, and then merged again. Now torn down for the Equitable Life
Assurance Society.)