Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tire Air Rotation for Spring

Just a Reminder

Spring is here. That means it's time to rotate the air in your tires.
You need to pump the air out of your front tires and put that same air
back in your rear tires. However if your air is more than three years
old, it's recommended to replace it with new air. However, if you live
in a northern climate, your car probably has Winter Air in the tires.
This must be completely removed, and replaced with Summer Air, before
the hot weather arrives.

This is not something you can do at home, without specialized equipment.
Get it done professionally, so it's done right, which insures that
you're tires are safe. After all, your life depends on those tires.

Prices vary according to where you live, but I've seen Air Rotation for
as little as $5.99. If you're getting the air replaced, or need Summer
Air, the cost is quite a bit more. Shop around, and watch the newspaper
for specials and coupons. Some places will rotate your air for free, if
you have them change your oil and/or get a tuneup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:30:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2013 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)

Where is it recommended by Goodyear? I've been looking for
a source of the nitrogen recommendation for years and can't
find one. I did find a Goodyear recommendation only for
heavy off-road equipment (earth movers and such like). They
didn't recommend it for over the road truck tires.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 05:44:15 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa
wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)

I use 80% nitrogen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:41:40 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

On 3/24/2013 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)

Where is it recommended by Goodyear? I've been looking for
a source of the nitrogen recommendation for years and can't
find one. I did find a Goodyear recommendation only for
heavy off-road equipment (earth movers and such like). They
didn't recommend it for over the road truck tires.

Bill

Nitrogen is used in race car tires and some aircraft tires. There was
some sensible reasoning for aircraft since they see big temperature
swings from flight to landing. They can hit 200 degrees and have very
high pressure. Nitrogen will not sustain a fire should one start to
burn. That is from Goodyear in the 50+ page manual about aircraft
tires.

If you want a recommendation, just ask the people that sell it. They
will gladly tell you how wonderful it is. The logic of it is that the
nitrogen molecule is larger than the oxygen molecule so it is less
likely to leak. Since air is 80% nitrogen anyway, I'm not going to
waste my money on a nitrogen fill.

IMO, it is a method of extracting more money from the consumer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)

I use 80% nitrogen

regular air is 80% nitrogen........

corrections departments are looking at going back to gas chambers to
execute prisoners sentenced to death.

they would breathe 100% nitrogen and just go to sleep within a few
minutes...... No breathlesness since nitrogen is a noramal part of
air.

I DONT BELIEVE anyone should ever be executed, since mistakes can and
have been made, executing killing people who were not guilty..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)

I use 80% nitrogen

regular air is 80% nitrogen........

corrections departments are looking at going back to gas chambers to
execute prisoners sentenced to death.

they would breathe 100% nitrogen and just go to sleep within a few
minutes...... No breathlesness since nitrogen is a noramal part of
air.

I DONT BELIEVE anyone should ever be executed, since mistakes can and
have been made, executing killing people who were not guilty..

When I was getting my safety training down at the Kennedy Space
Center they told us that if you walked into a closed space with
no oxygen you would die in about 2 breaths. That's because the
oxygen free atmosphere would suck the oxygen right out of your
blood. In fact I understand that there are almost always 2 deaths
associated with an oxygen free atmosphere. One person goes in
and drops, so the second goes to help and dies also. That was
why they have such good training for entering confined spaces. There
have been a couple of deaths caused that way. And of course they
purge a lot of spaces with nitrogen prior to launch to prevent
fires and explosions.

You don't really need a chamber to execute somebody with a pure
gas, you just need a mask. Put the mask on, turn on the gas and
they will be gone.

I agree with not executing any body. If they turn out to be innocent
you can't bring them back. And there is another argument that will
get some people. It costs a lot more in court costs to execute somebody
than it does to lock them up for life.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've looked into euthanasia, and it seems that any inert
gas -- helium, nitrogen, argon -- will work about the same.
Simply drift off to sleep, painlessly, and no feeling of
suffocation since these gasses don't combine with
hemoglobin and form carbon dioxide, triggering the
sensors in the carotid artery..... Simply a little hose
to a plastic bag over one's head...... a good plan to
have in one's back pocket.....

Regarding the original poster about tires... I'd fill them
full of fart gas so that people wouldn't park so close
and dogs wouldn't pee on the tires.... Harbor Freight
sells a transfer pump that one can insert to pump out
the farts into a plastic bag connected to a compressor
input, and re-fill the tires from there. Use caution, tho,
and don't turn on the compressor pump with the transfer
pump hose still inserted.... you might lose your tongue
and your ears....

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gill View Post
Where is it recommended by Goodyear? I've been looking for
a source of the nitrogen recommendation for years and can't
find one. I did find a Goodyear recommendation only for
heavy off-road equipment (earth movers and such like). They
didn't recommend it for over the road truck tires.
Bill
I'm skeptical of how much of a difference using nitrogen makes. The air we pump into our tires is 78 percent nitrogen already, and a tire properly installed on a rim with a new valve and stem should hold it's pressure for years. Paying extra to inflate the tire with 100% nitrogen gas seems to me to be just a way of separating the naive from their money.

Thanks for the tip, Mechanics_Corner.

I'm nearing retirement and was thinking about taking up a hobby that would earn me extra income during my retirement. Your post has given me the idea of moving to Honolulu, Miami or San Diego and laying in wait at bus stops. When the busses pull up, I could jump out and suck the air out of the bus tires and use it to inflate beach balls and air mattresses for people at the beach. Who knows, if the business grows I might franchise the business to people who want to work the airports. They could suck the air out of the tires on commercial jets and use it to inflate car and truck tires. Thanks again, man. I owe you one.

Last edited by nestork : March 24th 13 at 07:19 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/24/2013 10:36 AM, bob haller wrote:

[snip]

I DONT BELIEVE anyone should ever be executed, since mistakes can and
have been made, executing killing people who were not guilty..

You shouldn't do that :-) The government is taking advantage of the fact
that most people are too stupid to realize the government is killing
people, unless they CALL it killing. If enough people find out what the
government is actually doing, they'll have to reopen room 101.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:36:54 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

regular air is 80% nitrogen........

corrections departments are looking at going back to gas chambers to
execute prisoners sentenced to death.

Which one - state?

they would breathe 100% nitrogen and just go to sleep within a few
minutes...... No breathlesness since nitrogen is a noramal part of
air.

I think the condemned should pick the method of execution, hanging,
firing squad, ol' sparky or lethal injection.

Lethal injection is the modern method. Staff swab the arm with an
alcohol swab, so the person does not develop an infection.

I DONT BELIEVE anyone should ever be executed, since mistakes can and
have been made, executing killing people who were not guilty..

Execution is legal under the law.

(Do you allow ten guilty go free rather than allow one innocent to
die)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)

I use 80% nitrogen

regular air is 80% nitrogen........

corrections departments are looking at going back to gas chambers to
execute prisoners sentenced to death.

they would breathe 100% nitrogen and just go to sleep within a few
minutes...... No breathlesness since nitrogen is a noramal part of
air.

I DONT BELIEVE anyone should ever be executed, since mistakes can and
have been made, executing killing people who were not guilty..

No doubt that there are people who should be killed and deserve it but
the power of life and death should be incorruptible and unfortunately
NO legal system is incorruptible even our own is not immune to
corruption. If we're going to have a death penalty lets have a mandatory
death penalty for the commission of ANY felony by any public
servant who takes an oath to uphold the laws and Constitution of the
country. Sentence to be carried out within 48 hours upon conviction.
People with special powers, special privileges and special immunities
should get special punishment. Perjury is a felony, imagine what would
happen when politicians realize that lying could get them killed? ^_^

TDD

Politicians CAN lie on the floor of the House or Senate, said to be
legal...

Lying in a public place would have lawyers backed up to Albuquerque.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Like I wrote, special powers, privileges and immunities. o_O

TDD

Lying in a public place would have lawyers backed up to Albuquerque.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I remember from my chemistry days, the atomic weight of nitrogen is 14,
oxygen is 16. So, the oxy is heavier. And presumably larger.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The logic of it is that the
nitrogen molecule is larger than the oxygen molecule so it is less
likely to leak. Since air is 80% nitrogen anyway, I'm not going to
waste my money on a nitrogen fill.

IMO, it is a method of extracting more money from the consumer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some people have a thing about masks, and would likely fight it being
put on as best they could.

Lethal injection drug makers have stopped making the drugs it looks
bad for their mainstream businesses.......

Put the cndemmed in a room and flood with nitrogen, makes it easier
for the poor person being killed and those doing the job of taking
anothers life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:16:48 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

Some people have a thing about masks, and would likely fight it being
put on as best they could.

They may fight having a diaper put on them as they head to the
electric chair.

Lethal injection drug makers have stopped making the drugs it looks
bad for their mainstream businesses.......

Um, is it that the cost for the injection drugs cost so much. States
can't afford it or it a short supply chain?

Put the cndemmed in a room and flood with nitrogen, makes it easier
for the poor person being killed and those doing the job of taking
anothers life.

But you are against execution, right! Taking "anothers life" is legal
and justified under the law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2013 7:16 PM, bob haller wrote:
Some people have a thing about masks, and would likely fight it being
put on as best they could.

Lethal injection drug makers have stopped making the drugs it looks
bad for their mainstream businesses.......

Not sure that that is entirely correct. They may have stopped marketing
it for that purpose... Or, if it was a specialized compounding created
for the purpose, what with all the court decisions coming down against
capital punishment, it could just be an "orphan drug" There are plenty
of those.

FWIW, reading through the drugs, their effect, and sequencing of
administration, you might be surprised to learn that I was the recipient
of that same protocol...

When you have a coronary artery bypass, they follow the same regimen.
The difference being they bring you back (hopefully).

They put you to sleep and stop your heart an switch you over to a heart
lung machine. When they are done, the reverse the procedure, maybe jump
start the ticker, and you're off and running (again, hopefully).

They neglect to do the reversal with a legal execution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:11:48 +0000, nestork
wrote:

I'm skeptical of how much of a difference using nitrogen makes. The air
we pump into our tires is 78 percent nitrogen already, and a tire
properly installed on a rim with a new valve and stem should hold it's
pressure for years.

Theoretically, you are right. In practice, it does not always work
that way. Some of the alloy wheels have porosity and lose air.

I know of a couple of cases where air pressure would drop over a few
weeks in one wheel and tire assembly and no one could find a leak is
was so slow. I've had cars where I never put air in a tire for a
couple of years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm skeptical of how much of a difference using nitrogen makes. The air
we pump into our tires is 78 percent nitrogen already, and a tire
properly installed on a rim with a new valve and stem should hold it's
pressure for years.

Theoretically, you are right. In practice, it does not always work
that way. Some of the alloy wheels have porosity and lose air.

I know of a couple of cases where air pressure would drop over a few
weeks in one wheel and tire assembly and no one could find a leak is
was so slow. I've had cars where I never put air in a tire for a
couple of years.

The aluminum wheels on my car have corroded a bit a couple times and
leaked right where the tire is supposed to seat.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin Mormon[_8_] View Post
If I remember from my chemistry days, the atomic weight of nitrogen is 14, oxygen is 16. So, the oxy is heavier. And presumably larger.
It's not quite that simple. In chemistry there's something called "electronegativity", which is a measure of how strongly different atomic nucleii attract the electrons around them.

You can see that except for fluorine, oxygen is the most highly electronegative element there is.

That means an oxygen atomic nucleus would attract the electrons around it more strongly than other atomic nucleii, and that means that the cloud of electrons around an oxygen nucleus would be smaller than you'd otherwise expect.

It turns out that despite an oxygen atom having more electrons than a nitrogen atom, the electron cloud around an oxygen atom is smaller in diameter than that around a nitrogen atom, cuz of that electronegativity. And that means that if you imagine an oxygen molecule to look like a small jelly bean, an oxygen jelly bean has a smaller diameter than a nitrogen jelly bean, which is why oxygen jelly beans can migrate through tire rubber more readily than nitrogen jelly beans.

Last edited by nestork : March 25th 13 at 06:54 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 1:41*pm, Bill Gill wrote:
On 3/24/2013 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)

Where is it recommended by Goodyear? *I've been looking for
a source of the nitrogen recommendation for years and can't
find one. *I did find a Goodyear recommendation only for
heavy off-road equipment (earth movers and such like). *They
didn't recommend it for over the road truck tires.

Bill

The helium being lighter than air reduces the weight of the car thus
reducing petrol consumption.

Hydrogen is even better. (This latter from OSBL) Recommended for
every muslim as American air is haram.

Heh Heh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm skeptical of how much of a difference using nitrogen makes. *The air
we pump into our tires is 78 percent nitrogen already, and a tire
properly installed on a rim with a new valve and stem should hold it's
pressure for years.

Theoretically, you are right. *In practice, it does not always work
that way. *Some of the alloy wheels have porosity and lose air.

I know of a couple of cases where air pressure would drop over a few
weeks in one wheel and tire assembly and no one could find a leak is
was so slow. I've had cars where *I never put air in a tire for a
couple of years.

Alloy wheels are laquered on the inside to prevent this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm skeptical of how much of a difference using nitrogen makes. *The air
we pump into our tires is 78 percent nitrogen already, and a tire
properly installed on a rim with a new valve and stem should hold it's
pressure for years.

Theoretically, you are right. *In practice, it does not always work
that way. *Some of the alloy wheels have porosity and lose air.

I know of a couple of cases where air pressure would drop over a few
weeks in one wheel and tire assembly and no one could find a leak is
was so slow. I've had cars where *I never put air in a tire for a
couple of years.

* * The aluminum wheels on my car have corroded a bit a couple times and
leaked right where the tire is supposed to seat.

My X wife haad a car that had tires ALWAYS going flat. She drove the
car on the flat and ruined the tire and wheel Short on cash I bought
a steel wheel as a quick fix.,\\

a year later every other tire had gone flat at least twice. When
getting a flat fixed I asked whats up at NTB. They showed me the white
powder on the wheels sealing surface.

A OH MOMENT for me

Car needed tires anyway so I bought 4 new tires and steel wheels,
moved the one existing tire steel wheel to the spare location..

Had almost no flats after that.

I will never buy a vehicle with alunimum wheels!!! not worth the
hassles when they go flat
Posted to alt.home.repair

Something new every day. That's way past my schooling level. But, thanks for
a few moments of schollarly confusion just the same.

Did I want fries with that? Now we're back on solid ground. (deep sigh)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"nestork" wrote in message

'Stormin Mormon[_8_ Wrote:
;3035603']If I remember from my chemistry days, the atomic weight of
nitrogen is 14, oxygen is 16. So, the oxy is heavier. And presumably
larger.

It's not quite that simple. In chemistry there's something called
"electronegativity", which is a measure of how strongly different atomic
nucleii attract the electrons around them.

[image:
http://www.green-planet-solar-energy...lectroneg.gif]

--
nestork

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think that is great wisdom. Aluminum rims are a big PIA.

Sadly, my Blazer came with aluminum rims.

Musically speaking, it's wise to avoid sharps, so you don't have flats.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message

My X wife haad a car that had tires ALWAYS going flat. She drove the
car on the flat and ruined the tire and wheel Short on cash I bought
a steel wheel as a quick fix.,\\

a year later every other tire had gone flat at least twice. When
getting a flat fixed I asked whats up at NTB. They showed me the white
powder on the wheels sealing surface.

A OH MOMENT for me

Car needed tires anyway so I bought 4 new tires and steel wheels,
moved the one existing tire steel wheel to the spare location..

Had almost no flats after that.

I will never buy a vehicle with alunimum wheels!!! not worth the
hassles when they go flat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2013 1:09 AM, nestork wrote:
'Stormin Mormon[_8_ Wrote:
[...]

So, then Oxygen migrates through tire rubber better than Nitrogen.
So after pumping up the tires a few times with plain air then the
oxygen content of the tire will go down and level off at a very
low level. No reason to pay a lot extra for nitrogen since you
will wind up with mainly nitrogen after a while anyway. Of course
considering how seldom I have to pump up my tires this may take
a long time. About the life span of the tire.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:11:48 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
Paying extra to inflate the tire with 100% nitrogen
gas seems to me to be just a way of separating the naive from their
money.

There's one tire place that does nitrogen fills, and they don't charge extra for it. Their tire prices are competitive with others in the area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bill Gill
wrote:

On 3/24/2013 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight
increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)

Where is it recommended by Goodyear? I've been looking for
a source of the nitrogen recommendation for years and can't
find one. I did find a Goodyear recommendation only for
heavy off-road equipment (earth movers and such like). They
didn't recommend it for over the road truck tires.

Bill

Pretty sure I know where all this Nitrogen stuff started... or at least
this is what they had to say about it back in A&P (Airframe and
Powerplant) school.

Larger aircraft use massive high pressure tires, and having one explode
or blow off the rim can result in structural damage. Their wheels are
equipped with (thermally activated) fusible plugs designed to open and
limit maximum pressure in the event of a tire overheat condition... like
the long hard brake application of an aborted take-off, or a wheel well
fire to name two. These plugs do not re close, and once blown allow the
tire to completely deflate over a period of several minutes.

See the second paragraph under the 'Other Applications' heading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusible_plug

With the landing gear retracted, and if the tires are inflated with
plain air, a blown plug/s can force aspirate a wheel well fire. With
Nitrogen, the blown plug/s can assist fire mitigation by helping purge
the wheel well of oxygen.

For automotive/truck use, there is absolutely on harm in Nitrogen's use,
but the only thing it'll really accomplish is to lighten your wallet.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob_Villa wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Can your farts and pump it into the tires. A real riot when you have a
blowout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 20:00:15 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

If I remember from my chemistry days, the atomic weight of nitrogen is 14,
oxygen is 16. So, the oxy is heavier. And presumably larger.

Same size (Ideal Gas Law). The difference in atomic number also makes
nitrogen a little more mobile, so a slightly better heat conductor, I
think.

BTW, it's N2 and O2, so double your numbers.

Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 28th 19 11:18 PM
spring maintenance (torsion spring) Eli the Bearded Metalworking 9 November 25th 11 11:19 PM
Shed rotation Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 25 June 3rd 10 04:21 PM
motor rotation Paul Gilbert[_2_] Woodturning 3 May 28th 09 04:20 PM
Smelly water in underground spring-fed spring box, cistern [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 7th 08 04:32 PM