Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default motor rotation

I salvaged the 1/3 HP motors from two vacuum pumps on which the pump ends
were beyond repair. I intended to use one of them for my Beal buff system.
However, the rotation of the motors is backward for that use.

The motors are 115 V only and do not appear to have provision on the
connector plate on the back to change the rotation. There is a centrifugal
switch for a starting winding and only two wires going to the field coils.

Is there any way to modify the rotation of one of these motors?
Paul Gilbert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Paul,

In the past, I've solved that problem by turning the motor around if
its mounting will allow switching. I purchased some buffing wheels
from Ashley Iles in England and the motor had to be reversed. I
removed the mounting screws and rotated the base of the grinder to
give the proper rotation for the wheels. You should be able to do that
with your motor.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

On May 27, 9:18*am, "Paul Gilbert" wrote:
I salvaged the 1/3 HP motors from two vacuum pumps on which the pump ends
were beyond repair. *I intended to use one of them for my Beal buff system.
However, the rotation of the motors is backward for that use.

The motors are 115 V only and do not appear to have provision on the
connector plate on the back to change the rotation. *There is a centrifugal
switch for a starting winding and only two wires going to the field coils..

Is there any way to modify the rotation of one of these motors?
Paul Gilbert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
I salvaged the 1/3 HP motors from two vacuum pumps on which the pump ends
were beyond repair. I intended to use one of them for my Beal buff system.
However, the rotation of the motors is backward for that use.

The motors are 115 V only and do not appear to have provision on the
connector plate on the back to change the rotation. There is a
centrifugal switch for a starting winding and only two wires going to the
field coils.

Is there any way to modify the rotation of one of these motors?
Paul Gilbert

you need to look carefully at the motor windings - the answer is "yes",
there is most assuredly more than 2 wires going to the field coils, it is
quite frankly impossible to have start and run windings without at least 4
wires though of course they may not be all brought out to convenient
terminals. Just disassemble, swap the start windings and reassemble, I
think you will find it now runs in the opposite direction

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 27 May 2009 12:18:39 -0500, "Paul Gilbert"
wrote:

I salvaged the 1/3 HP motors from two vacuum pumps on which the pump ends
were beyond repair. I intended to use one of them for my Beal buff system.
However, the rotation of the motors is backward for that use.

The motors are 115 V only and do not appear to have provision on the
connector plate on the back to change the rotation. There is a centrifugal
switch for a starting winding and only two wires going to the field coils.

Is there any way to modify the rotation of one of these motors?
Paul Gilbert

If memory serves, the Beall web site addresses the rotation thing, as folks also
use them on grinders.. It involves adding another nut on the wheel stud, I
think..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing