Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default motor rotation

"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
I salvaged the 1/3 HP motors from two vacuum pumps on which the pump ends
were beyond repair. I intended to use one of them for my Beal buff system.
However, the rotation of the motors is backward for that use.

The motors are 115 V only and do not appear to have provision on the
connector plate on the back to change the rotation. There is a
centrifugal switch for a starting winding and only two wires going to the
field coils.

Is there any way to modify the rotation of one of these motors?
Paul Gilbert

you need to look carefully at the motor windings - the answer is "yes",
there is most assuredly more than 2 wires going to the field coils, it is
quite frankly impossible to have start and run windings without at least 4
wires though of course they may not be all brought out to convenient
terminals. Just disassemble, swap the start windings and reassemble, I
think you will find it now runs in the opposite direction