Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much does it cost to heat "corned beef brisket" for 2 hours at350 degrees?

The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 12:33*pm, Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Google is your friend....

http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html

Also, I think what you're saying is that you have tiered
electricity rates, so that beyond a certain point, you
pay more. If so, I would not use the average rate,
because if you add that additional cooking time, it's
at the incremental, ie higher, cost. Using your $.45
rate and the calculator, gives a cost of $.70

Also, if you're using the oven now, during the winter,
you're also getting free heat for the house from it.
That reduces the true cost.

And boy it must suck to pay those rates. Here in NJ
I'm paying about $.17 and it's one of the highest rates
in the USA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Huh?

If you eat two pounds of brisket at a sitting, you have no choice but to
cook it all at once.

On the other hand, suppose it costs an extra, oh, TEN DOLLARS to cook the
brisket in advance of mealtimes. You've got to ask yourself is it really
worth it to save the ten bucks?

Remember, if the wife is happy and you're not, you're still happier than if
you were happy and she wasn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/16/2013 11:33 AM, Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

But it's much more efficient to only heat the oven once than it would be
to do it multiple times...she's almost certainly right (and it's being
pretty miserly on pennies when there undoubtedly are many more usages
that are far more extravagant you don't mind or recognize I'd wager).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 09:46:36 -0700, wrote:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html
Using your $.45 rate and the calculator, gives a cost of $.70

That's a fantastic web site! Thanks.

I just looked up my "tiered" rate for Silicon Valley:
http://www.pge.com/myhome/myaccount/charges/
Tier1 = $0.13/kWh up to "baseline"
Tier2 = $0.15/kWh from there to 130% of baseline
Tier3 = $0.30/kWh from there to 200% of baseline
Tier4 = $0.34/kWh from there to infinity
So, it's 34 cents per kWh, not 45 cents (sorry) in California.

Plugging 34 cents per kWh (which is what I'm charged for half the
month) into that calculator, it costs me $0.27 per hour to bake
at 350F.

So, roughly, the cooking costs are 50 cents for that 2 pound corned
beef and cabbage she wants to make for Saint Patty's Day!

The good news is it's much less than I had thought it would be
(I thought it was in the dollars range). That makes buying a
cheaper cut of meat more of an economical alternative than I
had originally assumed.

Thanks for edifying me!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 4:33*pm, Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

You can't. All depends on the heat loss/insulation of your oven which
we don't know.

You need to check it with your electricity meter. Be sure everything
else is turned off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:33:05 +0000 (UTC), Banter
wrote:

The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

2 hours? Corned beef is usually pre-cooked, warmed or eaten from the
package. Check the label.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Banter wrote:

I just looked up my "tiered" rate for Silicon Valley:

Tier1 = $0.13/kWh up to "baseline"
Tier2 = $0.15/kWh from there to 130% of baseline
Tier3 = $0.30/kWh from there to 200% of baseline
Tier4 = $0.34/kWh from there to infinity

So, it's 34 cents per kWh, not 45 cents (sorry) in California.

Holly **** are you paying through the nose for electricity.

Here in Ontario (Canada) most of us are now on time-of-day metering,
with the cheapest electricity costing about 7 cents per kwh from 7 pm
until 7 am. During the day there are 2 rates, but even the most
expensive is I think 14 cents.

Do your rates (above) include "delivery" charges? We pay an extra few
cents per kwh to the operator responsible for maintaining the
distribution network.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

2 hours? *Corned beef is usually pre-cooked, warmed or eaten from the
package. Check the label.

It's pre-cooked if you buy it at the deli counter or in a can.
If you buy a brisket, it's raw beef that has been brined and
it comes in a plastic packaged surrounded by the brine.
You braise it for a couple hours, as he indicated.

Also, you don't have to do it in the oven. You can simmer
it in a pot on the range. So,, if Banter has a gas range,
that is probably the most cost effective way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 10:41*am, Banter wrote:
[...]

I would have thought you'd be more interested in how long a piece of
string is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 12:47*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Huh?

If you eat two pounds of brisket at a sitting, you have no choice but to
cook it all at once.

I'm not sure what the savings comparison is in relation to.
I would think he means cooking your own as opposed to
buying it cooked. If so, they are way ahead. Cooked corned
beef would cost 3X as much. But it's not a 3x savings,
cooking it yourself,
because when you cook it you're probably left with 70%
of what you started with. Still, it's definitely cheaper to
cook your own. And usually much tastier too..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2013 1:41 PM, Banter wrote:
[...]

Ordinary ovens are not really expensive to run especially at 350F. If
you have a window its surprising how infrequently the heating element
glows.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

*You need to find out what the watts consumption is on the heating
element(s) in the oven. This information might be available in the manual
or the parts book. Also check the wiring diagram on the back of the stove.
Then you can do a rough estimate. The elements will not be on 100% of the
time while cooking, but perhaps 50% will work for your equation. Divide the
element wattage by 1000 to get kilowatts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 17:41:02 +0000 (UTC), Banter
wrote in Re How much does it cost to
[...]

Wait a minute. Are you using whole house A/C at this time of the year
in Silicon valley? If so, you need to factor in the cost of removing
the oven heat from the house after it escapes from the oven.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 17:07:54 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

[...]

Toaster oven vs regular oven.

A toaster oven has to keep less volume warm, but has less insulation.
Senior Member

We pay 6.8 cents per kilowatthour here in Manitoba.

That's probably because our electric utility, Manitoba Hydro, is publicly owned, so they're not concerned about making a profit each year to keep their shareholders happy.

Last edited by nestork : March 16th 13 at 10:14 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:47:48 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Banter wrote:
[...]

Funny how that works but you are CORRECT !
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 13:53:12 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Do your rates (above) include "delivery" charges? We pay an extra few
cents per kwh to the operator responsible for maintaining the
distribution network.

There are TONS of additional California charges on the bill!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Gil Gil is offline

On 16/03/2013 1:53 PM, Home Guy wrote:
Banter wrote:

I just looked up my "tiered" rate for Silicon Valley:

Tier1 = $0.13/kWh up to "baseline"
Tier2 = $0.15/kWh from there to 130% of baseline
Tier3 = $0.30/kWh from there to 200% of baseline
Tier4 = $0.34/kWh from there to infinity

So, it's 34 cents per kWh, not 45 cents (sorry) in California.

Holly **** are you paying through the nose for electricity.

Here in Ontario (Canada) most of us are now on time-of-day metering,
with the cheapest electricity costing about 7 cents per kwh from 7 pm
until 7 am. During the day there are 2 rates, but even the most
expensive is I think 14 cents.

Do your rates (above) include "delivery" charges? We pay an extra few
cents per kwh to the operator responsible for maintaining the
distribution network.

Don't know where you live in Ontario, but where I live we are paying
just under 20 cents per kwh (and it varies slightly depending upon kwh
usage each billing period) and we're not on 'time-of-day' usage. The
so-called 'delivery charge' exceeds my kwh usage cost. And then there is
all the other miscellaneous charges they add to it. Try dividing your
bottom line by the kwh you used to find out what it's really costing
you. The 7 cents thingy is BS put out by the provincial government to
make you think you're not paying much.

Gil

Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG wrote:
[...]

Or subtracting it here. Electric ovens put less heat into the kitchen
compared to gas.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Gil wrote:

I just looked up my "tiered" rate for Silicon Valley:

Tier1 = $0.13/kWh up to "baseline"
Tier2 = $0.15/kWh from there to 130% of baseline
Tier3 = $0.30/kWh from there to 200% of baseline
Tier4 = $0.34/kWh from there to infinity

Holly **** are you paying through the nose for electricity.

Here in Ontario (Canada) most of us are now on time-of-day
metering, with the cheapest electricity costing about 7 cents
per kwh from 7 pm until 7 am. During the day there are 2
rates, but even the most expensive is I think 14 cents.

Don't know where you live in Ontario, but where I live we are
paying just under 20 cents per kwh (and it varies slightly
depending upon kwh usage each billing period) and we're not on
'time-of-day' usage.

The so-called 'delivery charge' exceeds my kwh usage cost.

So if you are also in Ontario (you don't say) then you must live in a
low-density, rural area (so you're paying a lot less for property
taxes).

If you look at this:

http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/el...cityRates.aspx

You'll see that if you're served by Toronto Hydro (and you're on
time-of-day billing) then you're paying 6.3 cents for off-peak and 11.8
cents for peak rate. On top of that, you're paying about 3.3 cents for
transmission / distribution / regulatory, and a flat $19 per month for
Toronto Hydro to pay their executives a nice big salary.

So including these extra charges, that works out to 15 cents per kwh for
peak demand hours, and 9.6 cents for off-peak.

The 7 cents thingy is BS put out by the provincial government to
make you think you're not paying much.

I think you need to get off the grid - or move to an urban area where
you aren't being gouged paying for electricity. But take heart - at
least you/we are not being screwed up the ass like they are in
California.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Use a crock pot. Oven is too inefficient for that much meat.

Where do you live that you pay those rates? I thought we were high at
19¢.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2013 12:33 PM, Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Since typical corned beef is around that weight maybe just cut it in
half. That way you only need to run the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes
each time?

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Use a crock pot. Oven is too inefficient for that much meat.

And the slow braising in the crockpot is perfect for a tough cut. Throw
it in the pot with some root vegetables and open 8 hours later for some
good eating.

Where do you live that you pay those rates? I thought we were high at
19¢.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 10:10*am, George wrote:
On 3/16/2013 12:33 PM, Banter wrote:

The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Since typical corned beef is around that weight maybe just cut it in
half. That way you only need to run the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes
each time?

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?- Hide quoted text -

Why would you run the oven twice, instead of once?
Two pounds is small for a corned beef. I just bought
one that's almost 4 pounds. You cook it once and you
can keep it for a week in the fridge. I just use it for
sandwiches. And whateve weight you start with, you
lose probably 25% during cooking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:10:44 -0400, George
wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:33 PM, Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Since typical corned beef is around that weight maybe just cut it in
half. That way you only need to run the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes
each time?

It does not work that way. Half the weight does not equal half the
time. In order to make a tough cut, like brisket, tender, you have to
bring it up to 163 degrees and hold it there until the collagen breaks
down.

Same idea when making bbq. You have to take the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2013 12:33 PM, Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

If your wife is a good cook, STFU and enjoy the brisket! Sheeeesh!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:05:33 -0400, Mitt Romley wrote:

enjoy the brisket!

Now that I know it's only about a quarter an hour to run
the oven, I can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2013 10:34 AM, wrote:
[...]

Just being cynical. The OPs main point seemed to be that a very large
piece of meat was chosen because of "saving money"

Agree that you handle corned beef like any large cut or roast. Cook it
then get a couple meals and sandwiches etc out of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 9:25*am, George wrote:
On 3/17/2013 10:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

then get a couple meals and sandwiches etc out of it.- Hide quoted text -

His point about what was being saved wasn't clear. I took it to
mean that the wife was saving money by buying a piece of
corned beef and then cooking it herself as opposed to buying
corned beef that was already cooked. Especially since the size
given, 2 lbs, isn't large for a brisket, it's actually small. Typical
piece is more like 2.5 to 4 lbs. Which is what you want, because
it probably loses 25 to 33% when cooked. And most folks don't
just eat it at one meal, because it's even better IMO, when used
for sandwiches. That 3.8 pound one isn't gonna last long here....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 12:33:05 PM UTC-4, Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound.

She is. $2.69 a pound is a phenomenal price.

Plain old flat cut, raw, un-brined brisket is $3.99 a pound around here. She should buy 10 pounds and freeze it at that price.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

George wrote on Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:25:37 -0400:

Just being cynical. The OPs main point seemed to be that a very large
piece of meat was chosen because of "saving money"

Actually, I was comparing a simple T-bone steak to the corned beef.
The steak seems to cook much faster, even though it costs most to buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:25:37 -0400, George
wrote:

Just being cynical. The OPs main point seemed to be that a very large
piece of meat was chosen because of "saving money"

Agree that you handle corned beef like any large cut or roast. Cook it
then get a couple meals and sandwiches etc out of it.

If he really wants to save, he'll toss a chicken and a meatloaf in the
oven at the same time. One part of dinner is then done for the week.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Home Guy wrote:
Gil wrote:

[...]

You don't even live in a _real_ country. The only way you can voice an
opinion is through USENET. If the queen finds out, she'll give you a
public peepee whacking.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 14:53:26 -0400, "
wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
Gil wrote:

[...]

Where do I get in line for the peepee whacking?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
Gil wrote:

[...]

Gee, a Usenet fraud trying to be me. I would be impressed, but it's
just another AIOEer (just below Google Groupie on the scum scale).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Banter wrote:
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef
brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.

Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?

We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for
the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the
second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost
something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.

But, how many watts does it take to bake?

I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy.
But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Huh?

If you eat two pounds of brisket at a sitting, you have no choice but to
cook it all at once.

If you eat two pounds of brisket at one sitting you're some glutton.

On the other hand, suppose it costs an extra, oh, TEN DOLLARS to cook the
brisket in advance of mealtimes. You've got to ask yourself is it really
worth it to save the ten bucks?

Brisket is *always* worth it. There's a Mexican restaurant here that
sells brisket enchiladas (as well as other such brisket dishes). Yum!
Remember, if the wife is happy and you're not, you're still happier

than if
you were happy and she wasn't.

Those words are written in stone.