Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backup battery problem

I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 1:44*pm, KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

I suspect your problem is not with the battery terminals,
unless they are all corroded for some reason. I've used
battery tenders on all kinds of batteries, car, motorcycle,
boat, etc and never had a problem with the jaw connectors
not making contact. Are you saying that the light never
goes back to green, even after a couple days? And
that it goes back to green instantly when you just rotate
the jaws a bit, without removing them? If you're removing
them and then it changes, I'd say it's probably because
you removed them, then restored them, not because of
poor contact.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2013 11:06 AM, wrote:
On Mar 14, 1:44 pm, KenK wrote:
[...]

loose wire in the clamp itself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you grease the terminals after you clean them? Axle grease does wonders.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"KenK" wrote in message
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 2:12*pm, chaniarts wrote:
On 3/14/2013 11:06 AM, wrote:

On Mar 14, 1:44 pm, KenK wrote:
[...]

loose wire in the clamp itself?- Hide quoted text -

Could be, or something starting to go wrong in the
battery tender..... IDK. It just seems odd that those
jaw style clamps would have a continuos problem making
contact on battery terminals. As I said, I've used them
on all kinds of batteries for winter storage in my garage
and never had a probllem. The lead terminals are soft
and the clamps bite in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2013 11:06 AM, wrote:

On Mar 14, 1:44 pm, KenK wrote:
[...]

and the clamps bite in.- Hide quoted text -

try the battery tender on a different battery and see if the problem
is unique to that one battery. Also, maybe there is some internal
damage and electrolyte is somehow working up to the terminal. Out a
permanent clamp on the battery and connect the battery tender to the
clamp and see what happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:44:45 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging. Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it? Small problem but annoying. TIA -- "Where there's smoke there's toast!" Anon

Use a marine battery with wingnuts or a more modern car battery that has bolt holes and hardwire the charger. Or those battery terminal clamps that convert a regular battery to the new style.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2013 11:44 AM, KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Auto parts sto Battery terminal cleaner and battery terminal
protector spray or grease. The stuff works in the harsh under hood
environment of a vehicle so you should have no problem with a battery
that's indoors. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 8:17*pm, NJOracle wrote:
wrote:
a bit ot maybe but...
if you deep discharge only a few times a year, then it probably does not pay to buy deep discharge batteries. *a regular battery can be deep discharged a few times without damage and cost half of a deep discharge battery
mark

Absolutely agree with what you say but I spent the extra money for peace
of mind and a dry basement :-)

well rather than one deep cycle battery, 3 car batteries.

More capacity at the same cost. Its unlikely a high capacity battery
bank will get deeply discharged, but a single battery may and be
damaged
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Almost always, I redo the alligator clips by soldering. Crimps will fail. I
just did one that actually fell off.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Mar 2013 17:44:45 GMT, KenK wrote:

I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Just guesses here but my first thoughts are bad charger, dirty
terminals, outlet going bad or battery going bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in
:

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 10:02:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Water heaters From: "

On Apr 9, 12:54=A0pm, George wrote:
On 4/9/2013 12:46 PM, KenK wrote: Just had my propane tank filled -
~$5 =

gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it
needs replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less
or about equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric
line run. (I h=

ave
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range -
that shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

You haven't provided any information to make a decision.

Also I would think there would be some online calculators
or similar where you could see some real comparisons or
plug in your own numbers. A big factor is how much hot
water you use.

Very little. I live alone. Showers and washing dishes mainly.

What makes sense for a one person
household vs a family of 6 with teenagers could be very
different. And whether electricity costs 9c/kwh or 18c.

$0.155. Monthly bill usually ~$60, about $20 more when I run the A/C.

As for converting the cooking, I doubt it amounts to enough
to make it worthwhile, at least from just the energy usage
part.

If I just use the gas range I'd have to still spend $70 a year for
propane tank rent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:44:45 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event

of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years

of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger

to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on

connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside

cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every

few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle

with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to

clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Could it be that the charger goes to red when the battery is fully charged and only shows green when it's being charged? I have some rechargeable lanterns that act that way, the indicator goes to red when fully charged.

pli

Backup Sump battery Jack Home Repair 1 June 8th 07 03:17 PM
Battery backup for 5v DC ~ 2amps? Noozer Electronics 5 February 23rd 07 04:24 PM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM
Repost: Blaupunkt VCR backup battery problem Jeroni Paul Electronics Repair 2 September 16th 03 05:54 PM
Blaupunkt VCR backup battery problem Jeroni Paul Electronics Repair 0 September 13th 03 11:55 PM