Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default Backup battery problem

On Mar 14, 2:03*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:12*pm, chaniarts wrote:

On 3/14/2013 11:06 AM, wrote:

On Mar 14, 1:44 pm, KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

I suspect your problem is not with the battery terminals,
unless they are all corroded for some reason. *I've used
battery tenders on all kinds of batteries, car, motorcycle,
boat, etc and never had a problem with the jaw connectors
not making contact. *Are you saying that the light never
goes back to green, even after a couple days? *And
that it goes back to green instantly when you just rotate
the jaws a bit, without removing them? * If you're removing
them and then it changes, I'd say it's probably because
you removed them, then restored them, not because of
poor contact.

loose wire in the clamp itself?- Hide quoted text -

Could be, or something starting to go wrong in the
battery tender..... *IDK. *It just seems odd that those
jaw style clamps would have a continuos problem making
contact on battery terminals. *As I said, I've used them
on all kinds of batteries for winter storage in my garage
and never had a probllem. *The lead terminals are soft
and the clamps bite in.- Hide quoted text -

try the battery tender on a different battery and see if the problem
is unique to that one battery. Also, maybe there is some internal
damage and electrolyte is somehow working up to the terminal. Out a
permanent clamp on the battery and connect the battery tender to the
clamp and see what happens.