Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Backup battery problem

KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Almost always, I redo the alligator clips by soldering. Crimps will fail. I
just did one that actually fell off.

Greg