Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backup battery problem

On Mar 14, 1:44*pm, KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event
of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years
of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger
to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on
connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside
cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every
few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle
with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to
clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

I suspect your problem is not with the battery terminals,
unless they are all corroded for some reason. I've used
battery tenders on all kinds of batteries, car, motorcycle,
boat, etc and never had a problem with the jaw connectors
not making contact. Are you saying that the light never
goes back to green, even after a couple days? And
that it goes back to green instantly when you just rotate
the jaws a bit, without removing them? If you're removing
them and then it changes, I'd say it's probably because
you removed them, then restored them, not because of
poor contact.