Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I need an angle drill for studs and would appreciate any advice.

I am trying to decide between the Harbor Freight 1/2" Compact 2-Speed Right Angle Drill for $124.00 (more if I get the extended warranty):

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...ill-97622.html

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00. Since they are now both made in China I can’t make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 19:57:19 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I am trying to decide between the Harbor Freight 1/2" Compact 2-Speed Right Angle Drill for $124.00 (more if I get the extended warranty):

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...ill-97622.html

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00. Since they are now both made in China I can’t make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

I found that a regular drill and extensions work well. My bits and
drill will easily fit between the studs of a normal 14.5" wall cavity.
Where it's closer, I drill from the next one over and use the
extensions.

BTW, Irwin makes some really nice auger bits with fairly short shanks;
perfect for wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to decide between the Harbor Freight 1/2" Compact 2-Speed Right Angle Drill for $124.00 (more if I get the extended warranty):

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...ill-97622.html

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00. Since they are now both made in China I can�t make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

I found that a regular drill and extensions work well. My bits and

drill will easily fit between the studs of a normal 14.5" wall cavity.

Where it's closer, I drill from the next one over and use the

extensions.

BTW, Irwin makes some really nice auger bits with fairly short shanks;

perfect for wiring.

Auger or speedbor bits bind and get stuck in the stud, spade bits brake after two or three studs, metal twist bits work but I can’t find a bit extension for a ½” shank which is what a 1” bit has.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...nch-right-angl....

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00. Since they are now both made in China I can�t make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

I found that a regular drill and extensions work well. *My bits and

drill will easily fit between the studs of a normal 14.5" wall cavity.

Where it's closer, I drill from the next one over and use the

extensions.

BTW, Irwin makes some really nice auger bits with fairly short shanks;

perfect for wiring.

Auger or speedbor bits bind and get stuck in the stud, spade bits brake after two or three studs, metal twist bits work but I can’t find a bit extension for a ½” shank which is what a 1” bit has.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/accesso...ing/48-28-4011

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've *never* had an auger get stuck. I have had to reverse the bit if
the drill I was using didn't have enough power (I rarely use a corded
drill and my smaller drills don't have all that much torque). No big
deal, just back it off a little and start at it again.

You must be some animal if you're breaking bits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 8:57*pm, wrote:
I am trying to decide between the Harbor Freight 1/2" Compact 2-Speed Right Angle Drill for $124.00 (more if I get the extended warranty):

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...nch-right-angl...

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00. Since they are now both made in China I can’t make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

Take a look at Rockwell's 3rill.
3R62HARD3P 62pc 3RILL
with lifetime batteries.
Came with two batteries, I swap while working and could never run out
of battery during heavy work load, the batteries just recharge too
fast.
It came with a right angle widget, which has around 1 inch 'overhead'
You can drill in some really tight spaces with it. Has extensions, too
so you can reach through multiple studs/joists. The 1 inch blade I've
used several times on studs even almost on a knot with little chatter
just required a bit of patience going through the hard area.

My wife got it for me as a birthday present for using on drywall
screws, but the thing works so well I keep expanding where I use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to decide between the Harbor Freight 1/2" Compact 2-Speed Right Angle Drill for $124.00 (more if I get the extended warranty):

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...ill-97622.html

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00. Since they are now both made in China I canï¿ 1/2 t make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

I found that a regular drill and extensions work well. My bits and

drill will easily fit between the studs of a normal 14.5" wall cavity.

Where it's closer, I drill from the next one over and use the

extensions.

BTW, Irwin makes some really nice auger bits with fairly short shanks;

perfect for wiring.

Auger or speedbor bits bind and get stuck in the stud, spade bits brake after two or three studs, metal twist bits work but I can t find a bit extension for a 1/2 shank which is what a 1 bit has.

I've *never* had an auger get stuck. I have had to reverse the bit if

the drill I was using didn't have enough power (I rarely use a corded

drill and my smaller drills don't have all that much torque). No big

deal, just back it off a little and start at it again.

You must be some animal if you're breaking bits.

I have to work with very old, very dry,
very dense California Redwood.
It's almost like drilling through petrified wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I lived and worked on our home built circa 1906 from hand cut lumber
and true 2 x 4's. I never ran across wood that 'petrified' I did run
across finishes that defied removal! Not sandpaper, not chemicals,
NOTHING touched it! Well a gallon of stripper per 5 ft square kind of
touched it.

However, be EXTREMELY careful. That old wood burns like gunpowder.

PS: My 'trick' is to rock the blade drill around so it can easily cut
smaller areas of wood. The hole won't be seen so the weird shape
doesn't matter much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've gotten them stuck. If it's a really thick beam, the worm pulls the
bit in to a point where it gets stuck, generally from lack of power in
the right angle drill, then I can't back it out because too much
material is behind the bit. I prefer to use a sharp spade bit. Dewalt
makes some really heavy duty ones, unlike Irwin. This way I can take
smaller bites and pull the material out of the hole. He could also use a
Forstner bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Since I got the Irwin Speedbors I haven't used a spade bit (though I
have many)[*]. They dull too quickly and are a PITA when working at
odd angles. I've never gotten one *stuck*, as in permanently. Sure
they get chips wedged behind them, if you're not careful. Sometimes
it may take 30 seconds to get one out. I don't call that "stuck".
It's worth it for the ease of drilling. The extensions make it an
even better solution (thought spades would work the same).

I don't see how a Forstner bit won't clear any better than an
auger/speedbor.
[*]I loaned my set to the guy installing our satellite system and he
was duly impressed. He said he was stopping by the Borg on the way
home to buy a set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be thinking high speed, very low feed pressure. And pull the drill out
frequently to clear the flutes, and keep the bit from over heating. Maybe
compressor and air blow gun to clear the holes every few seconds as you go.

If it's a one house project, buy the HF cheapie drill. If you will use the
same drill for several years, get the more expensive one.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

You must be some animal if you're breaking bits.

I have to work with very old, very dry,
very dense California Redwood.
It's almost like drilling through petrified wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rocking a hole saw also makes a wider
groove. Which makes removing the plug
from the hole saw a lot easier. BTDT.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

PS: My 'trick' is to rock the blade drill around so it can easily cut
smaller areas of wood. The hole won't be seen so the weird shape
doesn't matter much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Uh, those all seem to be made to fit a 7/16" inch shank.

You're going to need a lot of KY Jelly to force the 1/2" shank the OP
says he has into one of those. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Jeff-

Unless Milwaukee has changed the geometry of their drill extensions
over the last 25 years.......
I happen to have a couple of these drill extensions & they work just
fine with large diameter twist drills with 1/2" turned down round
shanks.

The description in the Milwaukee online catalog is less than 100%
clear but my extensions have 7/16" hex on the input end and a ~1/2"
diameter hole on the end that accepts the drill bits...

The reason (I believe) that Milwaukee fixates on 7/16" dimension is
because their auger bits & hole saw arbors are 7/16" hex.
Some mfrs of turned down drill bits make 1/2" diameter round shanks,
some 7/16 hex, some a hybrid.

A 7/16" hex is ~1/2" over the hex points......

Unless my style of extension has been obsoleted, these should work
just fine.

check my work?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:57:19 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I am trying to decide between the Harbor Freight 1/2" Compact 2-Speed Right Angle Drill for $124.00 (more if I get the extended warranty):

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...ill-97622.html

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00. Since they are now both made in China I can’t make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

I bought the Milwaukee.
It went through the studs like butter.
I also bought the three year extended warranty for $60.00.
I didn’t trust the Chinese to do a proper job.
Now I have a eight year warranty which lets me sleep at night.
I figured $349.00 + $60.00 + $31.41 tax = $440.41 / 8 years = $55.05 a year

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:57:19 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I am trying to decide between the Harbor Freight 1/2"
Compact 2-Speed Right Angle Drill for $124.00
(more if I get the extended warranty):

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...ill-97622.html

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00.
Since they are now both made in China I cant make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

I bought the Milwaukee.
It went through the studs like butter.
I also bought the three year extended warranty for $60.00.

You bought insurance to protect yourself from a $349 loss?

I didnt trust the Chinese to do a proper job.
Now I have a eight year warranty which lets me sleep at night.

You can't sleep at night because you might have an unplanned $349 loss?

I figured $349.00 + $60.00 + $31.41 tax = $440.41 / 8 years = $55.05 a year

Extended warranties are calculated by insurance companies to make a
profit - for the insurance company.

When I worked at an insurance company they explained that insurance is
not gambling. Don't buy it expecting to make a profit. Buy insurance
when you can't afford the loss.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:28:18 AM UTC-8, net cop wrote:
writes:

[...]

The last extended warranty that I bought was for my laptop.
Since Moore’s law has stalled it has paid me three times
the cost of the original computer so far
and I still have two more years to go.
This "Made in China" for Milwaukee is a new development.
I expect the worst.
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

[...]

They say the plural of anecdote is not data.

A laptop might go for 2K.
Something a lot of people might want to insure.

This "Made in China" for Milwaukee is a new development.
I expect the worst.

Well, good luck with the tool.
Not sure if you'll be happier if it breaks or not,
but good luck.

--
Dan Espen

Right angle drill adapters Rob Horton UK diy 34 November 11th 06 09:53 AM
The $29.95 angle drill continued robo hippy Woodturning 26 May 14th 06 04:28 PM
right angle drill Swingman Woodworking 4 November 2nd 05 12:18 AM
right angle drill Swingman Woodworking 39 October 29th 05 11:58 PM
Right Angle Drill Mr Fizzion UK diy 49 August 4th 05 10:10 AM