Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] recyclebinned@gmail.com is offline

Default I need an angle drill for studs and would appreciate any advice.

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:14:15 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:09:22 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:40:16 PM UTC-8, wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 19:57:19 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

I am trying to decide between the Harbor Freight 1/2" Compact 2-Speed Right Angle Drill for $124.00 (more if I get the extended warranty):

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact...ill-97622.html

or the Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg for $349.00. Since they are now both made in China I canï¿ 1/2 t make-up my mind.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1680-20

I found that a regular drill and extensions work well. My bits and

drill will easily fit between the studs of a normal 14.5" wall cavity.

Where it's closer, I drill from the next one over and use the

extensions.

BTW, Irwin makes some really nice auger bits with fairly short shanks;

perfect for wiring.

Auger or speedbor bits bind and get stuck in the stud, spade bits brake after two or three studs, metal twist bits work but I can t find a bit extension for a 1/2 shank which is what a 1 bit has.

I've *never* had an auger get stuck. I have had to reverse the bit if

the drill I was using didn't have enough power (I rarely use a corded

drill and my smaller drills don't have all that much torque). No big

deal, just back it off a little and start at it again.

You must be some animal if you're breaking bits.

I have to work with very old, very dry,
very dense California Redwood.
It's almost like drilling through petrified wood.