Swingman

Default right angle drill

Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance to
lag their .02 ...

TIA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Chip Chester

"Swingman" wrote in message
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the

need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to

both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't

buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance

lag their .02 ...

TIA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Some years ago I bought the DeWalt 14.4 v. model, as I had all 14.4 tools.
There was no cheaper
way to get two fresh batteries and another charger. The drill was free.
My only complaint is the reversing switch is pretty small.

"Chip" in Columbus

Wilson

I looked at HF:
http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...ht/results.jsp
where they are about$50. For so little use, I wouldn't get something
battery powered, unless you have other tools with the same battery. I've
had several bats go bad just sitting.

HF has air angle drills for about the same price. They turn much faster and
are better for working with small bits, so if you have air handy, they are a
good choice. I have several HF air tools and all are fine after several
years of light use.

Wilson
"Swingman" wrote in message
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the
need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to
both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't
buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance
lag their .02 ...

TIA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Robatoy

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance to
lag their .02 ...

TIA

You didn't mention if you had to be cordless or at exactly a 90-degree
angle. So I offereth thou this solid suggestion:

My favourite amongst the tailed species is the Milwaukee 1/2" 0-750 RPM
Close Quarter Drill. Lots of balls and a nice feel to it after you use
it for a while.
Milwaukee also makes a 3/8" version of the same configuration, but it
doesn't feel the same, but doesn't cost as much.

Models 0375-6 and 0379-1. Neither are cheap.

The 0379-1 is my main squeeze... I use it for EVERYTHING. It's my screw
driver. The weird pendulum weight distribution takes a load off the
wrists when driving screws.

http://tinyurl.com/bg9gt

Actually... this was more like 3 cents worth.
Swingman

"Wilson" wrote in message
I looked at HF:
http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...ht/results.jsp
where they are about$50. For so little use, I wouldn't get something
battery powered, unless you have other tools with the same battery. I've
had several bats go bad just sitting.

Thanks, HF is a thought because it will be one of those items that is
little used, but when you need it nothing else will do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Models 0375-6 and 0379-1. Neither are cheap.

The 0379-1 is my main squeeze... I use it for EVERYTHING. It's my screw
driver. The weird pendulum weight distribution takes a load off the
wrists when driving screws.

http://tinyurl.com/bg9gt

Actually... this was more like 3 cents worth.

Thanks ... the extra penny is much appreciated!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Swingman

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
There are right angle adapters available for $ 30 - $ 60 that might
be suitable if you only need it occasionally.

I've only seen the American Vermont version locally, wasn't impressed. I've
heard tell of a Milwaukee version, but haven't been able to locate one
locally. They all look like they add quite a bit of length with the housing
and chuck, then add in the drill bit length and I'm almost back where I
started from.

From what I've seen thus far, the "close quarters" designed drills probably
make more $en$e for my use.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Robatoy

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

I've
heard tell of a Milwaukee version, but haven't been able to locate one
locally.

HD has the Milwaukee ones...at least here they do. They're handy..but
two-handed. One to hold the adaptor, the other to run the drill.
For small stuff only, because as the bevel gears load up, friction
increases and the thing wants to jump out of your fingers.
Unquestionably Confused

on 10/26/2005 4:16 PM Swingman said the following:
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

Have to be cordless? If not, take a look at the Milwaukee 3/8" close
quarter drill/driver. Reversible, variable speed. Very comfortable fit
in hand. Tool King had them for about $60 as factory reconditioned.
Couldn't tell it by looking at the one I bought. Pristine condition,
unmarked. Nice tool.

Bert

Thanks, HF is a thought because it will be one of those items that is
little used, but when you need it nothing else will do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

I have the Makita & is still going strong after 10 years, but when I am
not using it for tight area work it does not sit around- I keep a
countersink bit in it so I don't have to swap bits constantly in my
other screw gun.

MikeB

Teamcasa

"Robatoy"
You didn't mention if you had to be cordless or at exactly a 90-degree
angle. So I offereth thou this solid suggestion:

My favourite amongst the tailed species is the Milwaukee 1/2" 0-750 RPM
Close Quarter Drill. Lots of balls and a nice feel to it after you use
it for a while.
Milwaukee also makes a 3/8" version of the same configuration, but it
doesn't feel the same, but doesn't cost as much.

Models 0375-6 and 0379-1. Neither are cheap.

The 0379-1 is my main squeeze... I use it for EVERYTHING. It's my screw
driver. The weird pendulum weight distribution takes a load off the
wrists when driving screws.

http://tinyurl.com/bg9gt

Actually... this was more like 3 cents worth.

I agree. The Milwaukee is my choice. I also have a Makita, (well had, I
loaned to a friend 5 years ago.) it was fine but the chuck was junk. I also
have the Milwaukee Hole Hawg - awesome drill when real power is needed.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Swingman

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message

Have to be cordless?

Prefer it not to be ... it's just that I have a couple of 18v DeWalt tools
with two very good, reconditioned batteries.

If not, take a look at the Milwaukee 3/8" close
quarter drill/driver. Reversible, variable speed. Very comfortable fit
in hand. Tool King had them for about $60 as factory reconditioned.
Couldn't tell it by looking at the one I bought. Pristine condition,
unmarked. Nice tool.

Between you and Robatoy, that might be it ... the price is right on the 3/8
reconditioned at Tool King and that's all I really need for the cabinet
work.

Thanks!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the
need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to
both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't
buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance
lag their .02 ...

My wife gave me a Makita right angle drill, 7.2 volt in 1983. It is now 22
years old. The battery still works.
Now the battery does not work like new but I seldom use the drill except for
those tight spots and I have to recharge when I anticipate needing to use
the drill. But that said, the battery still will take a charge and it gets
my situation handled.

Lew Hodgett

Swingman wrote:
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

snip

You don't mention the size chuck needed.

I use a 2 speed, 1/2" antique Makita, corded unit since I drill quite a
few holes with large hole saws.

If you need a large unit, I'd give Milwaukee a hard look.

If smaller, my guess the German stuff may be to your liking.

Lew

noonenparticular

I got the Makita when I was in a tight spot (HA! pun intended) and have been
very happy with it.

If you're not going to use it all day, every day, is seems to be a good bang
for the buck.

Joe C.

(all standard disclaimers apply)

"Swingman" wrote in message
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the
need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to
both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't
buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance
lag their .02 ...

TIA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Swingman" wrote in message
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the
need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to
both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't
buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance
lag their .02 ...

TIA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

You might also consider something like this:

I have one from HF that works great for the occasional use. It's not this
model but an all metal unit but for the life of me, I can't find it on their
website at the moment.
Cheers,
cc

Robatoy

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Between you and Robatoy, that might be it ... the price is right on the 3/8
reconditioned at Tool King and that's all I really need for the cabinet
work.

....btw.. the reason I like the 1/2" is due to its slow speed (0-750).
The 3/8 is a bit hasty (0-1500)and makes it a bit more difficult to stop
that screw 'just so' even when feathering the paddle... but in everyday
use, you'll get to know it soon enough.
robo hippy

I got a close quarter drill from JM Tools in Riverside, CA, for $29,95
plus shipping. It is almost a clone of the Milwaukee. I use it as a
sander for my bowls. It is a slow speed model and I haven't burned it
up after about 40 hours of use with a 3 inch disc.
robo hippy

dondone

The Dewalt 18v is available at Amazon.com for $215 (see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance).
I have this drill, like it very much and use it all the time. Very high
torque.

"Swingman" wrote in message
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the
need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to
both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't
buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance
lag their .02 ...

TIA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Norman D. Crow

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
"Robatoy"
[...]

You mean the one you put a 6" self feed bit in, then put in the 4' pipe
handles and get 2 BIG guys to hang on to them and absorb the torque?DAMHIKT

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Bruce Boyd

"Swingman" wrote in message
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the
need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to
both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't
buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance
lag their .02 ...

TIA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Check out ebay. You can find the Dewalt for around $75 for the drill only
if you already have batteries and don't want the whole kit.

Bruce

Edwin Pawlowski

Swingman wrote:
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across
the need to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and
pun away) so I've decided to bite the bullet.

You won't hear anything from me. Afterall, it was just a week or so we
discussed automobiles and the Corvair I used to own. We used to part at the
airport and . . . . . . . .
Oh, back to DeWalt
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:16:41 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance to
lag their .02 ...

TIA

I got a Milwaukee a few years ago when I ran into this problem. Went
with the corded version; it seems to be well built.

Greg G.

Edwin Pawlowski said:

Swingman wrote:
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across
the need to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and
pun away) so I've decided to bite the bullet.

You won't hear anything from me. Afterall, it was just a week or so we
discussed automobiles and the Corvair I used to own. We used to part at the
airport and . . . . . . . .
Oh, back to DeWalt

Heh, heh, heh...
I (mis)spent much of my youth in the back seat of a '66 Corvair ;-)

Greg G.

Swingman

"Greg G." wrote in message

Heh, heh, heh...
I (mis)spent much of my youth in the back seat of a '66 Corvair ;-)

Try a Renault 4CV. Where there's a will there's a way ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

I got a Milwaukee a few years ago when I ran into this problem. Went
with the corded version; it seems to be well built.

Good to hear that. I just ordered a reconditioned, corded Milwaukee close
quarter from Tool King last night (Robatoy's second choice) and we'll see
how it goes. I have a tailed 1/2" Milwaukee that I bought a few years ago
that has been a good performer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Greg G.

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

Heh, heh, heh...
I (mis)spent much of my youth in the back seat of a '66 Corvair ;-)

Try a Renault 4CV. Where there's a will there's a way ...

Yea, and very little in this world possesses the shear determination
of a horny 16 year old. ;-)

Greg G.
Charlie Self

Swingman wrote:
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance to
lag their .02 ...

TIA

I first got one of those adapters some time in the '60s. They work OK
(the good ones), but they're not much good in really tight quarters.
I've liked the Souix and the Craftsman--made by Souix, I'm reasonably
sure.

Charlie Self

Greg G. wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski said:

Swingman wrote:
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across
the need to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and
pun away) so I've decided to bite the bullet.

You won't hear anything from me. Afterall, it was just a week or so we
discussed automobiles and the Corvair I used to own. We used to part at the
airport and . . . . . . . .
Oh, back to DeWalt

Heh, heh, heh...
I (mis)spent much of my youth in the back seat of a '66 Corvair ;-)

I didn't misspend any time that way, but I spent a bit of time. You
might want to consider the FRONT seat of a '60 Studebaker Lark 2 door.
No room for 6'2" in the back seat. I'm shorter now, but bigger around,
so it all equals out, I guess.

Toller

I guess everyone has an opinion here!

When I needed a right angle drill to run an electrical cable I got a 12v
dewalt because I found it really cheap on ebay. Works fine.

If you want a Dewalt, but don't want anymore batteries, I am sure you can
find one on ebay easily enough.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:14:47 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg
quickly quoth:

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

Heh, heh, heh...
I (mis)spent much of my youth in the back seat of a '66 Corvair ;-)

Try a Renault 4CV. Where there's a will there's a way ...

Yea, and very little in this world possesses the shear determination
of a horny 16 year old. ;-)

Did anyone other than me notice the nice little ankle straps in the
VW bugs? I showed girls who owned those how my lower legs and feet
could fit under the front seats and her ankles would fit those straps
nicely. Half the time I think it was the dare they got caught up in,
but it worked for me. domg

I christened one of my two '62 Corvair convertibles, too, but the
vehicle I loved most was Mom's '63 Lincoln with the suicide doors.
It had double berths at the drive-in.
--
SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly!
----------
John Girouard

Toller wrote:
I guess everyone has an opinion here!

I might as well pipe in, too, then

What I do when I need to drive a screw in a tight spot is use a socket
wrench with a Phillips bit adapter. Something along these lines:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T5C2A/

Of course, I rather seldom need to drive screws in tight areas, so YMMV.

-John
mac davis

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:16:41 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance to
lag their .02 ...

TIA

I do a lot of bowl sanding, which is a drill killer... wanted the Milwaukee
close quarter but couldn't justify the cost..
Ended up with a chiwanese clone from ebay for about $30 including shipping, and
it's been doing a great job for the last few months.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
John Emmons

If you're looking for a cordless right angle, I got my 9.6v Makita pretty
cheap on ebay.

They're reasonably priced brand new at any of the Borg's too.

John

"gregg" wrote in message

Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the
need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away)

so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to
both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

I've had a MAkita right angle drill for 14 years and I use it a lot an

dI've
never had any problems with it.

Gregg
Replicas of 15th-19th century nautical navigational instruments,
Restoration of my 1919 Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat, and
Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/index.html

Andrew Barss

Swingman wrote:
: Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
: to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
: I've decided to bite the bullet.

: Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both
: drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

Search Google for recent posts on rec.crafts.woodturning. A lot of people
have been pleased with a $29.99 close-quarters drill from JM Tools in
Riverside, CA. Woodturners use them pretty heavy-handedly, and
these seem a good bargain (I bought two, but haven't used them yet).

-- Andy Barss
bob

I bought the 12V DeWalt a couple years back on Amazon for about $120 or so.
Got two batteries to share with my other 12V DeWalt tools. Works great but
the reverse switch is hard to use compared to other DeWalt tools.

"Swingman" wrote in message
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the
need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to
both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't
buy
anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though
you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance
lag their .02 ...

TIA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unquestionably Confused
on 10/26/2005 4:16 PM Swingman said the following:
Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need
to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so
I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both
drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

Have to be cordless? If not, take a look at the Milwaukee 3/8" close
quarter drill/driver. Reversible, variable speed. Very comfortable fit
in hand. Tool King had them for about $60 as factory reconditioned.
Couldn't tell it by looking at the one I bought. Pristine condition,
unmarked. Nice tool.

Been using a Milwaukee 3/8-in angle drill for years. Never used the ½-in version. That little critter is a godsend! Durable, not quite 90-deg angle, variable speed makes it ideal for finishing work when used with the 3M Roto-Loc system. I use it extensively for fiberglass repair, running for hours at a time. It is very much a one-handed tool. On the negative side, it is keyed chuck. Would be nice if it were a keyless chuck. Closest alternative that I know of is the Makita. I’ve also use it, a true 90-deg angle, also variable speed, much heavier, larger, almost twice the price, doesn’t lend itself to hours of one-handed use. If you need an angle drill for hard, daily use hours at a time, the Makita is a better choice.
Unquestionably Confused

joe2 wrote:
Unquestionably Confused Wrote:
Have to be cordless? If not, take a look at the Milwaukee 3/8" close
quarter drill/driver. Reversible, variable speed. Very comfortable
fit
in hand. Tool King had them for about $60 as factory reconditioned.
Couldn't tell it by looking at the one I bought. Pristine condition,
unmarked. Nice tool.

Been using a Milwaukee 3/8-in angle drill for years. Never used the
½-in version. That little critter is a godsend! Durable, not quite
90-deg angle, variable speed makes it ideal for finishing work when
used with the 3M Roto-Loc system. I use it extensively for fiberglass
repair, running for hours at a time. It is very much a one-handed
tool. On the negative side, it is keyed chuck. Would be nice if it
were a keyless chuck.

Joe, did you ever consider replacing the keyed chuck on the Milwaukee
with a keyless chuck?

I have an old (~ 17 yrs now) Makita 7.2v 3/8" cordless that was my "I
just need a little drill for a little job" drill. Got tired of the key
so I replaced it with the keyless. Easy fix and relatively cheap as I
recall. Now you've got me thinking that it probably wouldn't be a bad
idea to switchover the Milwaukeeg