Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do extendable snow brushes work?

I've got a snow brush that can be set to various lengths by turning it in
one direction to loosen the inside tube, setting to the length you want and
then turning it in the other direction to lock it down. There are no
pre-determined lengths, like indents or anything like that. It can be set
to any length within it's upper and lower limits.

On rare occasions, it doesn't lock and just continues to turn regardless of
what length I set it to. If I keep fiddling with it, it eventually locks
and then it's good for quite awhile.

This morning while I was cleaning the Nor'easter off of a couple of cars, I
loosened it to extend it and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to
lock down again. Assuming it was finally really broken, I brought it into
the house with the plan to see what I could do to fix it. A few hours later
I picked it up to have a look and when I turned it, it locked right down. I
played around with it and it locked down at every position I tried.

So what is inside the tube that allows the tubes to loosen and slide and
then tighten back down and lock? Could the cold affect whatever the locking
mechanism is?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 03:31:23 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

This morning while I was cleaning the Nor'easter off of a couple of cars, I
loosened it to extend it and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to
lock down again. Assuming it was finally really broken, I brought it into
the house with the plan to see what I could do to fix it. A few hours later
I picked it up to have a look and when I turned it, it locked right down. I
played around with it and it locked down at every position I tried.

So what is inside the tube that allows the tubes to loosen and slide and
then tighten back down and lock? Could the cold affect whatever the locking
mechanism is?

There is a collet of some sort that applies pressure around the inner
tube as you turn the outside part. Maybe yours got wet and slipped.

Forget the brush. I wish I knew about this years ago. I got one last
year and it was great having it today
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-18833-...sim_sbs_auto_3

One of the cars had about 3' drifted on top of it and it made quick
work of it. Extended, you can easily push the snow right off the
other side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 7:31*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I believe that most of these "infinitely" adjustable telescoping poles
have an eccentric element that tightens / "jams" against the tube ID.

Patents are not the easiest way to understand a mechanism
check this out & click on the "drawing" selection

http://www.google.com/patents/US4076437

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You probably got one that's only made to be used inside the house.

I prefer to use a plastic snow shovel, then use a push broom to clean
off my car. Why **** around with that dinky **** that's poorly made to
begin. Every one of those plastic ice scrapers breaks the first time I
use it. I tried a metal cement trowel, but that leaves marks on the
windshield. I'm not sure what to use for ice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

+1 on that style-- I don't know where I found the one with locking
levers to hold the extension, though.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
-snip-

Patents are not the easiest way to understand a mechanism
check this out & click on the "drawing" selection

http://www.google.com/patents/US4076437

Yup-- The image there looks vaguely like the insides of a pool pole I
took apart to see how it [didn't] work.

A little gook in there was what mine was suffering from. A good
cleaning with clorox- and a shot of WD40 cured it. [5-6 years ago--
now I use it as a snow roof-scraper, but don't collapse it in cold
weather.]

For cars I find the ones with locking levers are more reliable.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Buy better scrapers. I've had this brush/scraper for well over 5 years. I
live where we get lots of snow and ice.

The only problem is the very rare non-locking issue that I mentioned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I didn't mention that the brush head of my unit can be rotated to be
perpendicular to the pole, allowing me to use it a "pusher". It's not a
piece of low quality junk like others have assumed.

How do get into the areas around the windshield wipers, mirrors,
headlights, etc with your model...places that a brush can conform to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
On Feb 9, 7:31 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've got a snow brush that can be set to various lengths by turning it in
one direction to loosen the inside tube, setting to the length you want and
then turning it in the other direction to lock it down. There are no
pre-determined lengths, like indents or anything like that. It can be set
to any length within it's upper and lower limits.

...snip...

So what is inside the tube that allows the tubes to loosen and slide and
then tighten back down and lock? Could the cold affect whatever the locking
mechanism is?

I believe that most of these "infinitely" adjustable telescoping poles
have an eccentric element that tightens / "jams" against the tube ID.

Patents are not the easiest way to understand a mechanism
check this out & click on the "drawing" selection

http://www.google.com/patents/US4076437

cheers
Bob

Thank you for offering something other than "you have a low quality brush".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2013 9:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

That sure is one possibility. I had one of those brushes and it was a
piece of junk and worth the little I paid for it. I found a much better
quality brush that was more expensive and it has survived maybe 8
winters and the twist lock mechanism still works fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 14:00:40 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I didn't mention that the brush head of my unit can be rotated to be
perpendicular to the pole, allowing me to use it a "pusher". It's not a
piece of low quality junk like others have assumed.

How do get into the areas around the windshield wipers, mirrors,
headlights, etc with your model...places that a brush can conform to?

It does well enough around the lights. The wiper blades will be
close, then I pull them up to get the rest. I'm not so anal about
every nook and cranny of the mirror.

As you already know, you really need a pusher to get the most snow off
the easiest way. A simple brush is only good when you get a dusting
as you can't get leverage in a lateral motion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 08:44:24 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Push the button on the remote starter. In ten minutes, you just push
away any slush left on the windows.

If I think it will be icy in the morning, I set it to "defrost" when I
shut the car off at night. I also put the heated seat switch tot he
"on" position too.

How long did you have to run it this morning Ed? Seems like that
frost was more than a foot thick in your neck of the woods.g

Jim

Not all that long. When I parked the car on Friday afternoon, the snow
hit the warm car, melted, then made a coating of ice on the glass and
some of the metal. By the time I pushed the snow off the top
surfaces, the glass was slushy and easily moved. It was less than ten
minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

This one is not a piece of junk.

I don't really know how long I've had it, but it's been at least 5 years
because I bought for the Dodge Ram conversion van that I drove prior to my
current vehicle.

As I said, the only problem I've had is the very intermittent non-locking
issue which is usually "fixable" with just a couple of tries.

Yesterday was the first time that I had any serious trouble getting it to
lock, but as I mentioned, it cured itself a few hours later. This morning I
played with for a while and couldn't get it to fail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Push the button on the remote starter. In ten minutes, you just push
away any slush left on the windows.

If I think it will be icy in the morning, I set it to "defrost" when I
shut the car off at night. I also put the heated seat switch tot he
"on" position too.

How long did you have to run it this morning Ed? Seems like that
frost was more than a foot thick in your neck of the woods.g

Jim

Not all that long. When I parked the car on Friday afternoon, the snow
hit the warm car, melted, then made a coating of ice on the glass and
some of the metal. By the time I pushed the snow off the top
surfaces, the glass was slushy and easily moved. It was less than ten
minutes.

I have had remote starters in all my vehicles for as long as I can
remember.

The timing to melt the ice depends on 3 factors:

1 - The temperature
2 - The thickness of the ice
3 - Whether or not I remembered to turn the defroster on, the blower to
high and the temp to high.

I remember to do #3 much more often than my wife does so it often requires
some scraping on her car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

As I said, the only problem I've had is the very intermittent non-locking
issue which is usually "fixable" with just a couple of tries.

Yesterday was the first time that I had any serious trouble getting it to
lock, but as I mentioned, it cured itself a few hours later. This morning I
played with for a while and couldn't get it to fail.

Bet you had a single drop of water in just the wrong spot. The
locking thing depends on the cam being able to rotate with no
resistance.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

I prefer to use a plastic snow shovel, then use
a push broom to clean off my car.

I have used a snow shovel to remove deep snow from my windows, but you do
run the risk of knicking the paint if you are not careful. I usually try to
leave the last inch or two of snow with the shovel, then finish up with the
ice scraper.

Every one of those plastic ice scrapers breaks
the first time I use it.

Buy better scrapers.

I've always bought good quality scrapers (without the brush). The one I
have now is well over ten years old.

I live where we get lots of snow and ice.

My step-dad used to throw a tarp over his truck when he got home each
night. When he got up the next morning to go to work, all he had to do was
pull the tarp off with the snow and ice and he was ready to go.

I don't mind scraping the windows though (except for sheets of ice). It
gives the car a chance to warm up before I head out, and I can clean all
the little areas around the lights and whatnot.

Anthony Watson
Mountain Software
www.mountain-software.com/about.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Push the button on the remote starter. In ten minutes, you just push
away any slush left on the windows.

If I think it will be icy in the morning, I set it to "defrost" when I
shut the car off at night. I also put the heated seat switch tot he
"on" position too.

How long did you have to run it this morning Ed? Seems like that
frost was more than a foot thick in your neck of the woods.g

Jim

Not all that long. When I parked the car on Friday afternoon, the snow
hit the warm car, melted, then made a coating of ice on the glass and
some of the metal. By the time I pushed the snow off the top
surfaces, the glass was slushy and easily moved. It was less than ten
minutes.

Even better if you apply rain-x before winter. I hit the remote starter
and after just a little warmup I can easily push off the whole coating.
If I wait a little longer it slides off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Old polycarbonate Compact Diskc work pretty good if you don't shatter
them - just for frost - not hard ice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
The whole point of a remote starter is you don't need to wait. As you are
sitting there eating breakfast or whatever you usually do before leaving
you tap the button. The car starts and warms up. Aside from the
convenience it is considerably safer because you can actually see out all
of the windows.

Charlotte NC passed a law that more or less states that you can not leave a
car running and not be in, or next to it. Too many were getting stolen as
people were warming them up and going back inside the house.
This was probably cars not started remotely,but started with a key and the
keys were then left in the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:14:14 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Charlotte NC passed a law that more or less states that you can not leave a
car running and not be in, or next to it. Too many were getting stolen as
people were warming them up and going back inside the house.
This was probably cars not started remotely,but started with a key and the
keys were then left in the car.

We have a similar law. I'm not sure if there are exceptions are
remote started cars have interlocks and the engine will die as soon as
you hit the brake pedal to shift into gear.

Recently though. a young father left his three year old in the car
when he ran into a store. Car was taken with the kid in it and he was
missing for hours. Father has since been arrested for endangerment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Charlotte NC passed a law that more or less states that you can not leave a
car running and not be in, or next to it. Too many were getting stolen as
people were warming them up and going back inside the house.
This was probably cars not started remotely,but started with a key and the
keys were then left in the car.

Just checked the CT law. Talk about dumb, they have a law but will
not give you a ticket or fine, just a warning. School busses though,
are subject to $117 fines.

Connecticut law prohibits vehicles of all kinds from unnecessary
idling for more than 3 minutes. Provisions are made for weather
extremes, certain service vehicles and health-related conditions.

For text on Anti-Idling Regulations in Effect in Connecticut:

R.C.S.A. 22a-174-18 - This regulation applies to ALL vehicles in
Connecticut and is enforced by DEEP Field Staff.

Check your stat here
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2170989/20...-Laws-by-State
Posted to alt.home.repair

What is this world coming to? When you need
a law to guide people to do something that
common sensical?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Recently though. a young father left his three year old in the car
when he ran into a store. Car was taken with the kid in it and he was
missing for hours. Father has since been arrested for endangerment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Recently though. a young father left his three year old in the car
when he ran into a store. Car was taken with the kid in it and he was
missing for hours. *Father has since been arrested for endangerment.

Stolen without permission from:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/11...MS3DwdGoJtT.99

An 11-year-old boy has died in the blizzard slamming the East Coast
this weekend, after becoming overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning.
The tragic incident took place while the boy waited in the family's
car as his father shoveled snow outside in the winter storm.
It has been reported that the 11-year-old's father was outside trying
to dig the family's car out of a snow bank in their Dorchester
neighborhood, after Boston was hit particularly hard by Winter Storm
Nemo this weekend.

The boy was initially helping his father outside too, according to
Boston Fire Department spokesman, Steve MacDonald. However, the
elements proved too cold for the young boy, so his father started the
car's engine and the boy got inside to take shelter.

Unknown to the father, the car's exhaust pipe was covered over by the
snow bank and was blocking the fumes from escaping, causing the car to
fill up with the toxic fumes, according to AP.

It was also reported that the father later went into respiratory
arrest, and both he and his son were rushed to Boston Medical Center,
where the father was given emergency treatment. However, tragically
the 11-year-old boy was declared dead soon after arriving at the
hospital.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default boy dies of monoxide

Wow, only took a couple minutes, too.

Not like it was a furnace that went bad
last year, and took months to build up.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2013 05:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The boy was initially helping his father outside too, according to
Boston Fire Department spokesman, Steve MacDonald. However, the
elements proved too cold for the young boy, so his father started the
car's engine and the boy got inside to take shelter.

So how long before the do-gooders want CO detectors built into every car?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 19:55:22 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 02/12/2013 05:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The boy was initially helping his father outside too, according to
Boston Fire Department spokesman, Steve MacDonald. However, the
elements proved too cold for the young boy, so his father started the
car's engine and the boy got inside to take shelter.

So how long before the do-gooders want CO detectors built into every car?

After they install bullet proof glass in cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably already?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"devnull" wrote in message
On 02/12/2013 05:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The boy was initially helping his father outside too, according to
Boston Fire Department spokesman, Steve MacDonald. However, the
elements proved too cold for the young boy, so his father started the
car's engine and the boy got inside to take shelter.

So how long before the do-gooders want CO detectors built into every car?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:22:23 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Wow, only took a couple minutes, too.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/11...MS3DwdGoJtT.99

An 11-year-old boy has died in the blizzard slamming the East Coast
this weekend, after becoming overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning.
The tragic incident took place while the boy waited in the family's
car as his father shoveled snow outside in the winter storm.

He is not the only one. At least one other dies the same way in CT.
Snow around the exhaust allowed the CO buildup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 19:55:22 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 02/12/2013 05:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The boy was initially helping his father outside too, according to
Boston Fire Department spokesman, Steve MacDonald. However, the
elements proved too cold for the young boy, so his father started the
car's engine and the boy got inside to take shelter.

So how long before the do-gooders want CO detectors built into every car?

Aw, come on. It's for the children.

If there weren't so damn many do-gooders out there trying to protect
us from ourselves, this father probably wouldn't have survived to
puberty and then this tragedy wouldn't have happened.