Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default How do extendable snow brushes work?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 03:31:23 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

This morning while I was cleaning the Nor'easter off of a couple of cars, I
loosened it to extend it and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to
lock down again. Assuming it was finally really broken, I brought it into
the house with the plan to see what I could do to fix it. A few hours later
I picked it up to have a look and when I turned it, it locked right down. I
played around with it and it locked down at every position I tried.

So what is inside the tube that allows the tubes to loosen and slide and
then tighten back down and lock? Could the cold affect whatever the locking
mechanism is?

There is a collet of some sort that applies pressure around the inner
tube as you turn the outside part. Maybe yours got wet and slipped.

Forget the brush. I wish I knew about this years ago. I got one last
year and it was great having it today
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-18833-...sim_sbs_auto_3

One of the cars had about 3' drifted on top of it and it made quick
work of it. Extended, you can easily push the snow right off the
other side.

+1 on that style-- I don't know where I found the one with locking
levers to hold the extension, though.

Jim